Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2010, 17:25   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The kerb weight is listed as 1750 kgs !! That's a lot for a open top Jeep. The Rubicon with a V6 is at 1400 kg

I guess the dud must be the cast iron block. I realised the flywheel on the DI is about 27 kgs alone ! I wonder if the CRDe has a similar flywheel.

Give customers the option of ordering this vehicle with the new mHawk engine too, and charge more. Perhaps aluminium bonnet if not the whole body?

Hi Deepak,..the added weight most surely comes from the diesel mill being heavier compared to the 6 cyclinder petrol.

Secondly like I said earlier in the thread a FRP cabin to secure valuables and make it HVAC compatable is crucial for likes of me to think of trading in my City for it.

Last edited by Torque-ative : 7th January 2010 at 17:38.
Old 7th January 2010, 17:30   #167
Senior - BHPian

first of all, congrats to Behram sir.

it looks to be a wonderful package and will it be a regular model to be sold from now onwards or special/limited edition like Mahindra Legend?

any guesses about the price guys ?
Old 7th January 2010, 18:33   #168
BHPian

The thar indeed looks a good package to me. I dont think IFS will be the weak link even though the off roading ability will be a little less. But for Indian trails as Samurai noted it will not be a problem . But I have to see If I will buy it for not. if there is an option of it being a family vehicle , yes then it can be thought. But as I love my current Jeep so much dont know if I will replace it with this. It is too close to my heart for that.
Old 7th January 2010, 18:39   #169
Senior - BHPian

its a 2 seater so how can it be a family vehicle ?
Old 7th January 2010, 18:46   #170
Team-BHP Support

My question still remains about "torsion bar" (not IFS), how is it when it comes to taking abuse?
Old 7th January 2010, 18:50   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
its a 2 seater so how can it be a family vehicle ?
To be released in India, this will have to become a 7-seater or 8-seater Jeep. So, don't worry about 2 seater configuration. In order to make it a family vehicle, we have to throw the 7 seater out and make it 5 seater after purchase.
Old 7th January 2010, 21:13   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
The pics show Mahindra Thar Adventure. I hope there is another simpler model THAR which does not have all those plastic add ons..
Its a great looking and great specs machine. The plastics will fall off after a good first OTR ;o)

Amit
Old 7th January 2010, 21:35   #173
BHPian

As far as I can see, the front axle setup is identical to my Scorpio's.
Torsion bar: identical
Drive shafts: identical
Front diff: identical

So basically, it's the Scorpio 4x4 front setup mated to the Bolero rear end. Should be pretty competent off-road. The independent setup up front will improve handling a lot, and also to some extent, won't let the diagonally opposite wheels go up as easily as a live axle arrangement when going across 'trenches'.

Definitely a much better package overall compared to the previous 550.

Sump guard badly needed (the sump also looks identical, and I've got a little dent in my Scorp's sump from an errant tree stump on one of the OTRs).

Will check out the Thar in person tomorrow

Cheers,
Old 7th January 2010, 21:54   #174
BHPian

WoW... Those underbody pics shows the True Mahindra.. What a Drive & real quality stuff there.
I will certainly take my words back regarding external looks (Didnt like the Bling-Bling stuffs) & delayed Indian Launch.

A BIG Thanks to Mr. Dabhar Sir for his promise & dedication in bringing the Indian Offroader for Indians. Sir, your post was really assuring & Thar is really a great modern JEEP with legendary offroading capability. I mean 27 KG of torque for a 1.5 Tonne vehicle means lots of offroading w/o the need of lockers & 105 BHP means comfy highway cruising & easy overtaking... Awesome....
Old 7th January 2010, 22:22   #175
Senior - BHPian

Guys i had a talk with Father of the THAR himself today and trust me things are about to hot up for the THAR!

me being the most outspoken critic of the Thar Adventure, after the talk i had Mr. Behram, i was transformed when i heard about things to come!

i request the guys who will be visiting the Autoexpo in the next 2 days, please take some nice fresh flowers or chocolates for him to show our support and commitment in his creation.

Last edited by Parm : 7th January 2010 at 22:42.
Old 7th January 2010, 22:43   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Guys i had a talk with Father of the THAR himself today and trust me things are about to hot up for the THAR!

Great. Can u reveal something pls..
Old 7th January 2010, 22:58   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I saw somebody comment that IFS won't take as much abuse as the live axle setup. That may not be true. I put my Grand Vitara IFS suspension through lot more abuse than the Jeep, yet I have not seen any problem in two years.
The IFS has more wear points, some critically affecting suspension geometry, which will also lead to decreased tyre life. Other things being equal (the normal escape clause), the IFS is less sturdy, and costlier to maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
My question still remains about "torsion bar" (not IFS), how is it when it comes to taking abuse?
As Dinar has mentioned in the other thread, there is no difference between the coil spring and the torsion bar as a spring. Both are metal rods working in shear. Whether these will work properly or not depends on whether good engineering design and manufacturing practices have been followed, and whether the vendors/ manufacturers are keeping very tight control over metallurgy, heat treatment and other manufacturing processes.

Completely as an aside, coil springs can also sag. The Contessa coils always sagged after some time. The Ambassador torsion bars were generally trouble free.

I personally think that for a body on frame design, the torsion bar setup is an elegantly simple design, with much to recommend it.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th January 2010, 23:00   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Great. Can u reveal something pls..
i cant break the trust of a hard working man who is bringing the 4WD offroad vehicle for us.

lets say, this vehicle will be very much affordable for the guys who buy ex-army disposal vehicles and build them to 4WD offroad vehicles.

Peace of Mind is being offered to us.

NCR guys can we have some fresh flowers and chocolates for the hardworking man standing next to the THAR in M&M stall for next 2 days??

thats our support for his hard work!

Last edited by Parm : 7th January 2010 at 23:01.
Old 7th January 2010, 23:01   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
lets say, this vehicle will be very much affordable for the guys who buy ex-army disposal vehicles and build them to 4WD offroad vehicles.
3 lakh all in then
Old 7th January 2010, 23:07   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
3 lakh all in then
come on guys you are getting a factory made 4WD PURE offroad vehicle with peace of mind and M&M service backup!

a lot of hard work, research, R&D, support from people like us has gone into convincing M&M to launch it for indian mud sluggers!

lets show some appriciation for the hard working man, who is standing by his words, next to the thar for next two days to answer our questions in the autoexpo2010!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks