Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 22:13   #226
Senior - BHPian

Guys, the THAR will be impressive with 4WD, just imagine 26 Kgm of torque i.e, it is in the pajero league and better.

THe power to weight is what matter here and M&M have done a remarkable job with the engine. It is an antiquated pushrod engine, but nevertheless, it delivers what it is supposed to deliver.

That engine will not let you down. I own a Bolero Storm that has the same engine but is 2WD. Personally, I've done 13K kms of driving to tell you this.

I have splashed through water [higher than stock running board levels] to only reaffirm that the electronics are pretty bullet proof and have maintained 120-130 kph for hours together to realise that it feels comfortable doing such speeds if one is able to handle the vehicle.

The manual TC lever is a BIG welcome.
Old 8th January 2010, 22:57   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Now all you guys need is to see her in action.
Cyrus,
We wait eagerly to see her in action.

All,
When the Thar is officially launched in India will it hit the top of the charts or fizzle out?

My conclusion, It will be there beyond expectations with a growing demand due to the two driving factors, Pricing and technology.

The price structure: Mahindra is smart enough to make it sell today and envisage future competition in this segment.

Technology: Tested new generation engine, suspension, chassis, TC which lacks nothing.

Thar is not intended to be a mass production vehicle.

In Jeeps, Mahindra Classic was the last successful 4X4 production vehicle when Indian OTR's were at their infancy stage.
We continue to modify or improve upon outdated, without warranties, obsolete 60 years old postwar, Indian army disposals, CJ's,Gypsies, occasional Gurkha or a few imports like FJ's which can be used in OTR's apart from the very expensive imports.

Thar's introduction in the Indian consumer driven market is not too late or too early, it is just the right time.

Don't be surprised should Thar redefine Indian off-roading to a new level never before seen, don't be surprised if other manufacturers join the race, don't be further surprised when wannabe's too join the 4X4 circuit just to be there with their newly acquired machines.

Surely, there may be members on the forum with opposing views and opinions. Only time will tell what awaits the Thar.

Regards,
Old 8th January 2010, 23:10   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post

Don't be surprised should Thar redefine Indian off-roading to a new level never before seen.
Regards,

Amen to that .....!
This is what I can only term as revolutionary in any sense of the word.

Last edited by Torque-ative : 8th January 2010 at 23:11.
Old 8th January 2010, 23:34   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Don't be surprised should Thar redefine Indian off-roading to a new level never before seen, don't be surprised if other manufacturers join the race, don't be further surprised when wannabe's too join the 4X4 circuit just to be there with their newly acquired machines.
It will be interesting to watch when the Thar generation shows up at OTRs, the old timers on CJ/MM/Gypsy would shake their head say "all power and no skill".

People who will start their offroading with Thar are going to miss all the lessons CJ/MM/Gypsy can teach.
Old 9th January 2010, 00:02   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

You kids go around in your fancy Thars. Back in the day, I had to walk 10 kms uphill to find the nearest street light to work on my CJ3B.
Old 9th January 2010, 00:10   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
You kids go around in your fancy Thars. Back in the day, I had to walk 10 kms uphill to find the nearest street light to work on my CJ3B.
I used a torch... this is from my first trip in my Jeep:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
As we started climbing the Sampaje Ghats, my wife noticed that the engine was heating beyond 90C. I quickly stopped and checked the coolant level in the overflow tank, it was well above full. Then I opened the radiator cap and lots of coolant whooshed out. Well, that was a typical rookie mistake. So I added more water to make up for the loss. After some wait we continued again as we wanted to hit Madikeri before it got dark. But the engine started overheating again. So we again stop. This went on for few times, we even checked engine oil level, fan belt slackness in the dark in torch light. The heating didn’t make sense since the weather was very cool and sun was already set.
In the next few months I learnt more about engine cooling system than I had known all my life.
Old 9th January 2010, 01:08   #232
Senior - BHPian

i hope this link has not been shared here-
:: Welcome to Mahindra Thar ::
Old 9th January 2010, 02:54   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Guys, the THAR will be impressive with 4WD, just imagine 26 Kgm of torque... .

THe power to weight is what matter here and M&M have done a remarkable job with the engine. It is an antiquated pushrod engine...
Pushrods? I bet it has a nice sound to it then. Love that diesel clatter. No cam timing belt is a maintenance plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It will be interesting to watch when the Thar generation shows up at OTRs, the old timers on CJ/MM/Gypsy would shake their head say "all power and no skill".
"Old timers"? I am waiting to see if their restored old rides hit the classifieds as they buy Thars. Soon it will be the 'kids' who will be driving the museum pieces? It will be interesting to see who holds on to their old ponies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Funny, Tini!

Umm..mm, I may have missed it in all of these posts...does this new Thar have LSD or locker?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 9th January 2010 at 03:10.
Old 9th January 2010, 03:38   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

Thanks for the link Raj, this seems to be the indian website. So i guess this is the spec that is coming here!!

But honestly, i would have preferred a slightly different look compared to the 540. Am not suggesting garish bling like the show cars, but just subtle changes so that we can make out which is which.

Also, hope it comes with a good quality hard top like the wrangler (and not that silly roplas tub), that, with AC and PS, would make it s serious alternative to a family car.

Btw, hats off to you Behram sir, nice to see someone is listening to the wishes of true enthusiasts.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-jeephardtopliftjohnp.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc03536.jpg  

Old 9th January 2010, 06:45   #235
Senior - BHPian

RAJ, thanks for the link. i just hope mahindra guys upload some more stuff on the website like price and variants.

Another thing, its not at all comparable to Wrangler, i have driven Jeep Wrangler liberty MT extensively in US and it was a Hardtop with MT tyres.

but i am not comparing it Thar with that, its fine with me and its the best i can get in india right now. rest of the things i want, i will get it modified.

i havnt sold my old zen+safari+bullet even after moving from india just cos i love them more than anything and Thar will be a prized addition to family.

i know my family gonna crib about all this but cant help it.

always wanted a no non sense 4x4 and this is the time i shd get one.

hope mahindra keeps the prices relevant and i hope to have a look at Thar when i visit next in march 10.

and @DD,

throw the spacio out and pick up the Thar,

cheers
Old 9th January 2010, 07:44   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
"Old timers"? I am waiting to see if their restored old rides hit the classifieds as they buy Thars. Soon it will be the 'kids' who will be driving the museum pieces? It will be interesting to see who holds on to their old ponies.
Until and unless there are variants, when it comes to hardheaded decision time, there might be problems.

Specifically, take our case. Current fleet:- seven 4X4s.
Don't think I'll let go of the 340, or the 101 WB.
Gypsy: dont know yet.
Armada Grand: To be replaced with a Scorpio 4x4
Marshall: Only if there is a lockable 4 door version

That leaves two vehicles which will certainly be replaced.

In my initial enthusiasm, I thought I'd replace all but the first two.

I might add that with the improvement in roads, the NEED for 4x4s has certainly gone down. The Thar will have to depend on institutional sales from the likes of defense, OIL/ ONGC, PWD, SEBs, infrastructure developement firms etc. Lets hope they see the light of day and change their tender specs so that the Major does not continue being L1. And MM brings out enough variants (including, gulp, a 2WD version) to satisfy their needs.

Sutripta

PS. Forgot about our most capable offroader which I'm pretty sure the Thar can't replace: JCB 3DX super!

Last edited by Sutripta : 9th January 2010 at 07:49. Reason: Added JCB
Old 9th January 2010, 09:47   #237
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Offroading entails a heavy dose of wear and tear in your vehicle and any offroader, age and experience notwithstanding, would like his vehicle to be up and ready for the next OTR with the minimum amount of fuss and time spent in garages.

I have just spent the past six months diligently sorting out all the issues in my CJ3B and now when its almost as good as new I realise something that really makes me wonder about some basic logic in this whole exercise.

It has taken me months to source OE parts for the CJ3B. Some parts are simply not available anymore.

Now what does that mean for me with the intention of using this in OTR's? Everytime the CJ3B wears out something I have to spend months hunting for the replacement ! Which is absurd. The majority of people I know use old used parts to keep their Jeeps running and believe me they drive like crap. Most who struggle to maintain their Jeeps in immaculate condition are now too wary of damaging/wearing them during OTR's

What is the value of an offroader when you can't service it at will and fix issues within days? Zero !

Bottomline is an offroader MUST have easy parts availablity, must be affordable as the life of the vehicle will see many replacement parts going in and should be serviceable across the country at garages with some standards.

As I see it the only real option for serious offroaders will be the Thar from Mahindra and the Gypsy from MUL

For all the others (me included) who have spent months to source parts for their Jeeps and restored them to a high mechanical standard, congratulations on a well restored "vintage car" which no doubt will give you years of pleasure provided you don't roger it offroad !

I am personally delighted M&M is considering releasing the Thar in India and like Fazal said enable a major boost to the offroading scene in India

My sincere advise to all who can afford a new car under 7 lacs. Don't waste your time and energy buying the crap you get from army disposals and waste precious time sourcing hard to find parts with a dream of making yourself a working offroader.

Just buy the Thar.
Old 9th January 2010, 10:26   #238
BHPian

Do you guys like the alloy design? Or is it just me? Alloys like those on the Wrangler would look IMHO.
Old 9th January 2010, 10:28   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
here is another link i just recieved today from M&M admin.

Mahindra Thar
Old 9th January 2010, 10:36   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I have just spent the past six months diligently sorting out all the issues in my CJ3B and now when its almost as good as new I realise something that really makes me wonder about some basic logic in this whole exercise.

For all the others (me included) who have spent months to source parts for their Jeeps and restored them to a high mechanical standard, congratulations on a well restored "vintage car" which no doubt will give you years of pleasure provided you don't roger it offroad !
Just buy the Thar.
Deepak,

It is not how much time we have spent sourcing parts or restoring a fine specimen like yours. The sheer pleasure of turning something into an epitomic icon is definitely not a easy task. The personality, the street presence and an individual identity which the jeep attains after restoration cannot be bought off the showroom.
Your CJ3B can take many OTR's, and is very very off-road worthy, it is just that after the pamper and makeover phase of our Jeeps is over we don't like to start over again.
A Jeep is a most individualistic vehicle, which also has the capacity to exhibit the nature of its owner, and the pleasure of building one is painful yet very exhilarating.
True, buying a high caliber 4X4 and having parts on the shelf and warranties and service backup has no parallel.
I too say, build/ restore a Jeep for yourself and for OTR's...Just buy the Thar.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 9th January 2010 at 10:40.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks