Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2010, 15:27   #391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Dear Milecruncher- a 4WD vehicle with drive engaged to both wheels should not be driven at high speeds on tarmac because this may lead to undue stresses in the driveline (called as driveline windup), in this condition some weak link in your driveline will give up due to these stresses, this can also result in oil leaks from the axles or driveline components. This happens because the front wheels and the rear wheels while going around a turn must have different angular velocities, this is achieved through a centre differential placed between the two axles, which takes care of this change in speed, AWD cars i believe have this arrangement, gurus please correct me if i am wrong.

Regards,

Spike

I am no guru,..but you are 100% spot on and to the point Spike
Old 13th January 2010, 15:53   #392
Senior - BHPian

A 15 degree rampover angle means the Thar can get beached easily in an OTR. My guess is that the calculation is wrong.

After all the hype created, I am left disappointed. I expected more.
Old 13th January 2010, 17:05   #393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
A 15 degree rampover angle means the Thar can get beached easily in an OTR. My guess is that the calculation is wrong.

After all the hype created, I am left disappointed. I expected more.
Sigh! Ok, what is the rampover angle of your current Jeep? My Grand Vitara has a rampover angle of 19 degrees with a 103.9 inch wheelbase. And you are willing to believe that the Thar with 95 inch wheelbase is going to have 15 degree rampover angle?

I am going to assume that the Thar will have same rampover angle as MM540 until proven otherwise. And that is good enough for me. The Thar has same wheelbase as MM540.
Old 13th January 2010, 18:14   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - now that you have seen the Thar at the Auto Expo, I think you can now see this. Yours truly, a pucca car crazy bawaji with the traditional "topi" (cap) outside the Bai Ratanbai Jamshedji Edulji Chenoy Dar-E-Meher, our Parsi Fire Temple last year. You know, you need to maska marao God also. . I always seek "His" blessings. "He" sees everything. Then only everything happens.

The black car, very much at home in its environment where it belongs and excels. By the way, you remember that there was mention of an "extremely difficult" Great Escape on 12 July 09? Well, same terrain, in the same week, full terrain in 2WD only! . Enjoy!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-copy-thar-066.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc01748.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc01744.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-thar-068.jpg  

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2010, 18:22   #395
Team-BHP Support

Behram, those hubs... they look like the auto locking hubs. Please tell me they are not.

Otherwise, glad to see the Thar without the dabwali makeover.

So, is there a hard top option?
Old 13th January 2010, 18:43   #396
Senior - BHPian

Auto locking hubs or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Behram, those hubs... they look like the auto locking hubs. Please tell me they are not.

Otherwise, glad to see the Thar without the dabwali makeover.

So, is there a hard top option?

Those are auto locking hubs, going by the pictures the silver vehicle is a LHD (probably an export vehicle), hence it can be presumed that it is an auto locking hub, the reason being all export 4WD mahindra vehicles have an autolocking hub as a standard option, the black vehicle also looks similar.

OT-by the way the black vehicle looks really mean in its stance, Behram Sir, any reason why the black vehicle looks more agressive than the silver one, i believe there is something different among those two vehicles
Old 13th January 2010, 19:00   #397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OT-by the way the black vehicle looks really mean in its stance, Behram Sir, any reason why the black vehicle looks more agressive than the silver one, i believe there is something different among those two vehicles
Easy, it is the part which most of us will chuck out first day. The foot boards, they are missing in the black vehicle. The doors too, but some of us will keep them.
Old 13th January 2010, 19:01   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess it's the angle of the snaps and the fact that the black one has the cheap plastic wheel arches removed along with the doors and wheel caps.
Old 13th January 2010, 19:02   #399
Senior - BHPian

@MC: Spike is right. Also, the weakest link in the driveline are the oil seals and the symptoms are oil leaks.

Infact, even during OTRs, it is a good practise to reverse the vehicle for 5 metres or so before disengaging the 4wd.

This will reduce the stress and driveline windup.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2010, 19:14   #400
BHPian

Thanks for the pics Behram Sir.
Do I see a FFRA in the silver vehicle?

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 13th January 2010 at 19:19.
Old 13th January 2010, 19:14   #401
Senior - BHPian

@Samurai,tejas- both of you are right regarding the footboard and plastic wheel arches, do you feel any other difference in the black vehicle like the suspension, tires etc etc, i feel the tires are bigger, also the tread pattern is not similar, the tread pattern of the black vehicles tire is of JK and of the silver one is of bridgestone, does the getaway come with similar set of tires (black vehicle).please correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 13th January 2010 at 19:16.
Old 13th January 2010, 19:20   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Samurai,tejas- both of you are right regarding the footboard and plastic wheel arches, do you feel any other difference in the black vehicle like the suspension, tires etc etc, i feel the tires are bigger, also the tread pattern is not similar, the tread pattern of the black vehicles tire is of JK and of the silver one is of bridgestone, does the getaway come with similar set of tires (black vehicle).please correct me if i am wrong.
Nope. I think the tyres and tread pattern are the same. Whatever little interaction i've had with Mr. Dhabhar till now for my Classic, i realized that he is absolutely against any upsizing. And if he is testing, he will not upsize.

Another dif in the two snaps is that the two side bars connected to the centre roll bar in the black one are covered with a fabric whereas they are open in the silver. This also gives an illusion of better stance.
Old 13th January 2010, 19:30   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Spike Arrestor - please see the photographs carefully. The whole platform lends itself to becoming leaner, meaner, taller, squatter, lighter, more powerful etc. YOU CAN SET UP THE CAR EXACTLY THE WAY YOU WANT IT. FOR DOING THAT, YOU JUST HAVE TO BUY IT FIRST. Which other car gives you this flexibility? Try and work out the details. You will have a very broad smile on your face when you realise the full potential of this platform. Also, this car has fantastic ROAD PRESENCE, which is addictive. I have been in situations at traffic signals where guys in Mercs and Beemers have opened their window glasses and given me a thumbs up. This has happened many times. Then at the green light, I would out-accelerate them. Believe you me, this thing just goes like nobody's business. No fuss at all, just the smooth and silent surge of power, which can be further -----?????. Great brakes, which can be further -----?????. A transmission which can be further -----?????. An axle which can be further -----?????. A ramp breakover angle which can be further -----?????.

Abhi to shuruaat hai, picture to abhi baaki hai mere dost! (a la Rajesh Khanna).

Well guys, here it is. Feast your eyes!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc01784.jpg  

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 13th January 2010 at 19:40. Reason: add info
Old 13th January 2010, 19:34   #404
BHPian

Black one is covered in mud.. Thats the real deal.
BTW. check out the radiator also.. it looks like a smaller one is also present for some extra cooling ? (may be for NEF Engine)
Old 13th January 2010, 19:41   #405
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for going OT:

Mr. Dhabhar, we are planning an OTR this sunday. Can we have a preview of the Thar and her abilities there?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...scussions.html

Even if not, please join us, we would love to have you as an expert to show tricks and tips.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 13th January 2010 at 19:42. Reason: typo
Closed Thread

Most Viewed