Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2010, 10:07   #436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Gentlemen, so that's the Thar for you - THE THAR IS ESSENTIALLY A SCORPIO IN DISGUISE. IT WILL DRIVE LIKE A SCORPIO, SOUND LIKE A SCORPIO AND HANDLE LIKE A SCORPIO. IT IS LIGHTER THAN A SCORPIO. IT WILL GIVE YOU EXCELLENT HIGHWAY CRUISEABILITY TO COVER THOSE HUGE DISTANCES THAT YOU NEED TO TRAVEL ON ROAD TO REACH YOUR OFF ROAD DESTINATIONS AND ALSO PROVIDE YOU MORE THAN ENOUGH GRUNT TO ENJOY YOUR OFFROAD ADVENTURES WITH EXCELLENT OFFROAD ABILITY. I TOOK THIS ROUTE AS IT OFFERS THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.

Please accept my best personal regards,

Behram Dhabhar
should we read it as MHawk engine or Eagle engine?
Old 14th January 2010, 10:15   #437
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Parm - ref your query, it is a 2.5 litre NEF CRDe (New Engine Family) which develops 105 BHP / 27 kgm. Please do not attach any name to it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 14th January 2010, 10:24   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Parm - ref your query, it is a 2.5 litre NEF CRDe (New Engine Family) which develops 105 BHP / 27 kgm. Please do not attach any name to it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
i belive the indian Thar is getting the same engine doing the duty on the export version of the Thar.

if yes, then its good hear india consumer getting the same stuff as being exported.

let stick to NEF CRDe name for the engine.
Old 14th January 2010, 10:26   #439
Senior - BHPian

Oh, is it the same engine available in the Xylo D2 (not the mEagle)? maybe with some tuning, power is upped from 95 bhp to 105 bhp.
Old 14th January 2010, 10:39   #440
Senior - BHPian

Clarification on Intercooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I think it is the MEagle (2.5L Xylo engine) and not the Mhawk (2.2) liter in the Thar.

Dear 4x4addict- Both Xylo and Scorpio MHawk come with TMIC(Top mounted intercooler) with a higher heat dissipation capacity, the intercooler for Bolero VLX is of a lesser wattage capacity, from the looks of the black vehicle the intercooler looks the same as being used in Bolero VLX/Scorpio 2.6 CRDe, although i am not sure how they packaged that stuff inside that deflector assembly

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 14th January 2010 at 10:41.
Old 14th January 2010, 13:02   #441
Senior - BHPian

behram sir,

Thanks for posting the pics of testing vehicle (black) and an export model. They truely look awsome!!

please dont kill me for saying this but there was a huge gap between the fender and the bonnet line on silver Thar export model but the same thing was absent in black thar.

Can you also post some interior pics of indian version and export version?

i know it would be ornamental but why cant we add the apron to cover the front front IFS like old scorpio's? I think you know what iam talking about. Why not a metal skid plate there? Would enhance the look of the vehicle, but i know it is prone to breakage.

some more off roading pics of that black thar without doors ?
Old 14th January 2010, 14:03   #442
BHPian

??????

When wHen whEn wheN will be "The Thar" available in the market????

Big question!!!!! I somehow realised that Thar is fitting into the needs of a person like me. Though I have Ex Army 550- 4WD , I would like to go for Thar if it in very near future and also in the Budget of 6L total...
Otherwise I have plans of getting a new Swift / Dezire for my daily drive and keep 550 for "Special Purpose" .

Parm , Should I wait and get the Thar or ???? I hope u know why I asked this question to you.... BehramSir is still keeping some great secrets with him like Launch Date, Price , Different varients, AC, Hard Top, etc...

Dear Behram Sir, pls pls pls reveal some of the secrets.

Tarkesh
Old 14th January 2010, 16:40   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
behram sir,

Thanks for posting the pics of testing vehicle (black) and an export model. They truely look awsome!!

please dont kill me for saying this but there was a huge gap between the fender and the bonnet line on silver Thar export model but the same thing was absent in black thar.
you can say its still in developmental stages!

Quote:
Can you also post some interior pics of indian version and export version?

i know it would be ornamental but why cant we add the apron to cover the front front IFS like old scorpio's? I think you know what iam talking about. Why not a metal skid plate there? Would enhance the look of the vehicle, but i know it is prone to breakage.
it can be fitted as an aftermarket product by Mahindra Customization dept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
When wHen whEn wheN will be "The Thar" available in the market????

can you wait for first quarter of 2010?

Big question!!!!! I somehow realised that Thar is fitting into the needs of a person like me. Though I have Ex Army 550- 4WD , I would like to go for Thar if it in very near future and also in the Budget of 6L total...
Otherwise I have plans of getting a new Swift / Dezire for my daily drive and keep 550 for "Special Purpose" .

Parm , Should I wait and get the Thar or ???? I hope u know why I asked this question to you.... BehramSir is still keeping some great secrets with him like Launch Date, Price , Different varients, AC, Hard Top, etc...
could you please wait till first quarter of 2010?

Last edited by v12 : 14th January 2010 at 19:55.
Old 14th January 2010, 18:58   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Dear 4x4addict- Both Xylo and Scorpio MHawk come with TMIC(Top mounted intercooler) with a higher heat dissipation capacity, the intercooler for Bolero VLX is of a lesser wattage capacity, from the looks of the black vehicle the intercooler looks the same as being used in Bolero VLX/Scorpio 2.6 CRDe, although i am not sure how they packaged that stuff inside that deflector assembly
The Bolero VLX has a Front mounted INtercooler and it is fitted behind the front bumper!
Old 14th January 2010, 19:34   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

AC and HardTop are minor things compared to the MHawk engine in the beast and Behram sir has already showed it to us.
A decent Hardtop is not a minor thing, many of us hope this will fit our 550s and finally we can have a decent hardtop without making the 550 looking like a Indian Government vehicle.
Old 14th January 2010, 22:19   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... please note that only that vehicle which meets CMVR (Central Motor Vehicle Rules) can be manufactured, sold and registered in our country. So, many of your wish lists (mine too) go straight out of the window.
Behram, you of all people know how important LSD or a locker is to 4wd off road applications. You also know that it is available on Tata vehicles, Pajero and Trax-Force. Obviously it does not violate any CMVR regulations or other manufacturers would not offer it as STANDARD equipment. I find its exclussion on the new Thar inexcusable. It was mentioned time and time again in the wish list. It was mentioned to you in emails long before the wish list was created. It needs to be factory installed because of its complexity and difficulty in setting gear lash tolerances. It can not be honestly compared to bolting on a bigger, better set of tyres or tieing a sparkly bangle to the rear view mirror.

For all of that, I may buy one after I am satisfied the bugs are worked out of it. Sleepy old Mahindra continually shoots itself in the foot by not listening to its customers but pretending to, by not providing good service, by not opting for computerized inventory control and parts distribution (that the rest of the world has had for 30 years or more). Mahindra does this in the name of cost savings. Well, the Japanese offer good service, modern inventory control and a quality product at a reasonable price. They are gnawing away at Mahindra market share. The Thar in its present form is vulnerable to the competition and it has not hit the streets yet.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 14th January 2010 at 22:21.
Old 14th January 2010, 22:53   #447
Team-BHP Support

The export model has LSD, that means a part number is available. So I was hoping we could get the part and install at the local Mahindra workshop. But now when I hear DirtyDan, I am too getting concerned. This LSD installation may be too complex for the local Mahindra workshops who have never seen a LSD or even understand what it does.
Old 14th January 2010, 23:13   #448
Senior - BHPian

Behram Sir, Another major fact that going to make Thar as grand success is that of the Mahindra Authorized service personal attitude and skills on the FOUR WHEEL DRIVE vehicles. I may sound little bit annoying but the ground reality I have already posted in some thread, the Mahindra dealers don't like the Jeeps or don't know why that 4x4 equipped in a Jeep. (Simplest reason they stated is that the 4x4 are used for hill climbing and works better on hair pin bends, OMG you must know the shock I had as soon as I heard this)

India hosts the most IT skilled labours in the world, hence hosting your inventory into a online facility will greatly help many many of Mahindra Customers suffering from Scrap yard materials.

If I can only give you an example the most consumable part on Mahindra latest jeeps are the front and rear tail light assy, even though Lumax, Amber, Tristar and few other companies(OE Supply) produce these items we never get them on the local stores. I believe MM540, CL340DP, Classic, Major, CL550, CJ500D, CJ500DI are few of the Mahindra line jeeps used the same tail light assy but we could never get good quality stuffs. All such issues should be addressed to win the market share, else I'm sure Mahindra's effort in bringing the Thar too will face another Classic like story.
Old 15th January 2010, 00:01   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
... -2C here this morning. Keep your A/C. where is the FREAKING heater? Just kidding.....
I want both the AC and the heater. And no, I'm not kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Installing lockers or LSD requires a skill set different from painting and denting and bolting on bling body parts. Gear lash, the way gears fit together in a differential for example, have to be set to be set perfectly and this is something of an art form in itself. It would have been nice to have LSD factory installed and done correctly.
+1. I wonder how many of the A.S.S. have heard of hypoid, let alone know how to set it up.

Reason for this post: Want to add my wish (which has not been touched on by others) to the list:
Easy availability of shop manual, parts catalogue, and service bulletins, easy availability of spares, reasonably priced special tools, and better trained service personnel. I'm sure these will not add to the cost of the vehicle.

Sutripta
Old 15th January 2010, 05:14   #450
BHPian

I hope it makes it to Macedonia, the Pik-up and Goa have been sold in good numbers and there's definetly market if priced well. Judging by the web page someone provided earlier, I believe it is already available in Italy. That means that it should get here in a couple of months if not weeks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks