Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 23:36   #631
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Both tyres on the axle will turn at the same speed whether there is traction or not. If you don't know when to use it, you will the break the axle in no time. In that way, it is as unforgiving as you know who.
I think its slightly different, if what i heard is correct, diff of rpm between wheels and diff locks. Also after certain speed it will act like normal diff.
Old 28th January 2010, 00:05   #632
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I think its slightly different, if what i heard is correct, diff of rpm between wheels and diff locks. Also after certain speed it will act like normal diff.
You mean it is not like the Gurkha diff lock? That means it is another kind of LSD.
Old 28th January 2010, 10:24   #633
Team-BHP Support

Yes samurai thats what i have been informed. The question came how it will work in a desert dune kind of situation, where the speed might be higher and it might not engage?

Too early to speculate since concrete info is not available and its early stage, what all will be offered. The other possible option was to do a dealer swap of complete axle which really didnt make sense to me.

- It will be costly
- Will land up with an absolutely New but useless axle unit, since its not even a fast moving replacement part

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th January 2010 at 10:26.
Old 28th January 2010, 10:40   #634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's "Mecahnical Locking Device". IIRC, DB mentioned that M&M are moving away from LSD for strategic reasons.

Quote:
You mean it is not like the Gurkha diff lock? That means it is another kind of LSD.
No human intervention required for engaging this. Will work ONLY till speeds of 20 kmph.

Quote:
... The other possible option was to do a dealer swap of complete axle which really didnt make sense to me.

- It will be costly
- Will land up with an absolutely New but useless axle unit, since its not even a fast moving replacement part
That's the ONLY option to have MLD -- FULL axle swap and you land up with an extra axle. Remember, DB mentioned that stock THAR will NOT have MLD.
Old 28th January 2010, 13:21   #635
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

Things that disappointed me:
1. 4wd manual lever in the wrong side - Reason: Prototype

3. PRICE Unknown : So can we have a guess then

So my target costing is under 7L on road.
The 4x4 Lever is on the wrong side only for people who drive on the wrong side of the road (i.e Europeans/Americans) For the RHD version it will on the driver side.

I too feel it will be atleast 7 Lakhs on the road. If they want to give something more affordable, just take the existing NCGS MM550 XDB and put in the CRDe engine.
Old 28th January 2010, 13:41   #636
BHPian

I am totally smitten by this OTR thing and have been constantly engrossed reading amazing posts by all of you guys in technical sections also.

IMO Talking about Thar, its diesel powerplant is a true differentiator when compared to Gypsy and the likes which costs near about same as the base variant of Thar (assuming the current talks mentioned here)... but any inputs on how well positioned technically it'll be excluding price when compared to Gurkha.

Please donot involve PRICE discussion because thats where the Gurkha will loose the ground, but more from a capability perspective and technicals will be required.
Old 28th January 2010, 17:10   #637
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I too feel it will be atleast 7 Lakhs on the road. If they want to give something more affordable, just take the existing NCGS MM550 XDB and put in the CRDe engine.
Though it is a good option, the current platform has much more than what this would have offered hence the route taken by M&M. Yes, it may turn out to be a bit expensive though.
Old 28th January 2010, 21:48   #638
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
That's the ONLY option to have MLD -- FULL axle swap and you land up with an extra axle. Remember, DB mentioned that stock THAR will NOT have MLD.
NOT is not yet confirmed! actually nothing is confirmed as of now, especially regarding the rear axle
Old 29th January 2010, 00:46   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sharath and all - my reply to your --------about, isn't it?

My final comment - Fazalbhai has driven it. Fazalbhai, thanks for waiting patiently all these months, you may please give your comments now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

MAHINDRA THAR - "GO ANYWHERE".
Mr. Fazalbhai --- Can we know your comments?? If you have posted elsewhere, can you reply with the link please?
Thank you,
Old 29th January 2010, 16:21   #640
Senior - BHPian

Dear All,
Please move to the test drive related replies on the new thread as i do not want to go off topic on this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1705765
Regards,
Old 30th January 2010, 02:52   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
It's "Mecahnical Locking Device". IIRC, DB mentioned that M&M are moving away from LSD for strategic reasons.

No human intervention required for engaging this. Will work ONLY till speeds of 20 kmph.

So it is a torque sensing dog clutch type locker similar to what Arka has? So it is a proper locker then?
Old 31st January 2010, 02:56   #642
BHPian

Some info regarding Thar Hard Top version's lauch in Europian market this link. sadly, no pics or reviews.
Old 31st January 2010, 10:43   #643
BHPian

I like the yoko MTs and the rims , the fenders look very plasticky , but it will be great to see this on Indian roads.
Old 31st January 2010, 13:14   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Some info regarding Thar Hard Top version's lauch in Europian market this link. sadly, no pics or reviews.
Here is how it looks. Pretty Decent.
It retails @
7700 EUR=11,32,437.6200 INR . What can we expect here in India???

(Source: Some Italian sites as found over google)

Notice the sunroof

From the back:

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 31st January 2010 at 13:23.
Old 31st January 2010, 13:28   #645
Senior - BHPian

That hardtop looks very good! If made available here it would make a good solution for those who need a classy HT for their MM540/550. Any idea which company makes it?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks