Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 12:50   #676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
At one time, a rock touched the tyre during static steering, so I backed out by around a foot or so to relieve the unnecessary pressure off the steering system and continue on my way. I do not believe in doing anything which can harm my vehicle when I drive offroad. It is just not worth it.
You have trouble getting spares, too?

Quote:
Well guys, my next trip? Somewhere in India, very exciting with very different terrain. When? Very very soon. Where? Start guessing! .
Two lives ago D.B. used to enveigle high German officers with HER "Cooling Fan Dance". Once a tease, always a tease.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2010, 12:55   #677
BHPian

wooooo! Am I just seeing things or just dreaming... Finally an awesome jeep.
Old 5th February 2010, 12:56   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
DKG, i can enunciate what will happen to the product just by changing to a higher profile tire. Bigger tire->Change in ride height settings, Change in wheel alignment and tire life, Undue stresses to height control arm of torsion bar, Clearance of tires with fender/fender extensions,Calibration of data set for new dynamic rolling radius, Emission tests with this tire,Pass by noise tests,Steering effort tests,coefficient of rolling resistance with new tire, New instrument cluster from pricol, validation, these are just to name a few i can go on and on, GC of a car is decided in the very preliminary stage of any project, you can imagine what will happen if you try tampering with GC at this stage.

Spike
BD Sir / Spike, I can very well understand your situation..BUT, what is the purpose of a vehicle which is targeted at off road crowd if the basics are setup to foul.

A superb engine is of no use if the vehicle suspension and GC does not give it the room to use the power [torque].

Like DKG mentioned, many are not inclined to tamper with the original silencer mounting etc for the sake of time, cat con issues etc.

Why not start work parallel on a version 2 THAR with the aim of solving all the issues addressed by these guys? The Scorpio was not developed in 1 day right?

I'm sure M&M is a company that has a team to work on R&D. I'm sure you guys do FMEA where in you can understand and conclude the effect of a potential change. It would be nice if you could share data for us to learn the correct way of modification from you.

On the lighter side - There are guys like my friend "vinu" who will buy the THAR and give more feedback after every OTR
Old 5th February 2010, 13:10   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well guys, my next trip? Somewhere in India, very exciting with very different terrain. When? Very very soon. Where? Start guessing! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

MAHINDRA THAR - "GO ANYWHERE"

I'm guess it should be the Himalayan Glacier as the Thar going to be sold in the western region where snow and ice offroading is common, you are geared up to test Thar's snow surfing. Am I right ?
Old 5th February 2010, 13:10   #680
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
DKG, i can enunciate what will happen to the product just by changing to a higher profile tire. Bigger tire->Change in ride height settings, Change in wheel alignment and tire life, Undue stresses to height control arm of torsion bar, Clearance of tires with fender/fender extensions,Calibration of data set for new dynamic rolling radius, Emission tests with this tire,Pass by noise tests,Steering effort tests,coefficient of rolling resistance with new tire, New instrument cluster from pricol, validation, these are just to name a few i can go on and on, GC of a car is decided in the very preliminary stage of any project, you can imagine what will happen if you try tampering with GC at this stage.

Spike
I get the picture Spike.

Now tell us what tyre height can we opt for without:

1. Compromise of axles, ie stressing them too much

2. Losing too much torque

3. Need to alter the fenders

Maybe we'll cart the offroad wheels to the offroad site and load them on. Rest we run on standard highway radials clipping at 120+ speeds in a safe highway cruiser
Old 5th February 2010, 14:22   #681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I get the picture Spike.

Now tell us what tyre height can we opt for without:

1. Compromise of axles, ie stressing them too much

2. Losing too much torque

3. Need to alter the fenders

Maybe we'll cart the offroad wheels to the offroad site and load them on. Rest we run on standard highway radials clipping at 120+ speeds in a safe highway cruiser

Your comments are logical, i believe a P235/70R16 would suit your daily needs

Spike
Old 5th February 2010, 17:10   #682
Senior - BHPian

Poor guy:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
On the lighter side - There are guys like my friend "vinu" who will buy the THAR and give more feedback after every OTR
Why are you targeting poor 'vinnumyfriend'? He is a poor guy yar, happy with his old MM540. Wish M&M pays him salary, donates a vehicle and takes care of vehicle maintenence to give feedback on Thar after every OTR. Iam sure in that case he will be more than happy to give his valuable feedback

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 5th February 2010 at 17:12.
Old 5th February 2010, 18:19   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
He is a poor guy yar, happy with his old MM540. Wish M&M pays him salary, donates a vehicle and takes care of vehicle maintenence to give feedback on Thar after every OTR. Iam sure in that case he will be more than happy to give his valuable feedback
If what you say is true - I would like to be on the list to test the THAR too. Can honestly compare it to my steed - THE MG413W offroad

Infact I dont want Salary from M&M, just vehicles to test and give feedback after every OTR!!
Old 5th February 2010, 19:52   #684
BHPian

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

MAHINDRA THAR - "GO ANYWHERE"
Dear Sir,

How about a test drive in Mumbai.

Reasons are many:
*Here there are some nice stretches where you can test top speed.
*Very rule-abiding & friendly auto-walas who can help in testing the Brakes.
* Many parts of the roads are under construction & the pot holes are formed so strategically that will test the Thar's Offroad ability & articulation.
*The speed-breakers over here are constructed after some meticulous planing such that their height varies everywhere. Here you can conclude the optimum GC for Thar.

+ Thar will get enough attention & publicity. It soon will be talk of the town as a mysterious "GO-FAST Jeep". Reason for many more scoop pics.

Thats what I can guess.
Old 5th February 2010, 20:02   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Dear Sir,

How about a test drive in Mumbai.

Reasons are many:
*Here there are some nice stretches where you can test top speed.
*Very rule-abiding & friendly auto-walas who can help in testing the Brakes.
* Many parts of the roads are under construction & the pot holes are formed so strategically that will test the Thar's Offroad ability & articulation.
*The speed-breakers over here are constructed after some meticulous planing such that their height varies everywhere. Here you can conclude the optimum GC for Thar.
+ Thar will get enough attention & publicity. It soon will be talk of the town as a mysterious "GO-FAST Jeep". Reason for many more scoop pics.
Thats what I can guess.
Headers,
The same reasons exist here in Hyderabad and the traffic is worse.
If THAR wants to test drive in 'Dakkar Rally' conditions, here will be the best place, then Mumbai...what say?
Regards,
Old 6th February 2010, 01:09   #686
Team-BHP Support

Mumbai for starters, OCTROI!

Bring it to BLR, we will do weekend test drives on OTR's and weekday grinds with high speed's and sharp stoppers

But lets cut this chit chat, has the vehicle moved on to atleast a consideration state for launch in Indian soil???? Or is it all talk and dreams for indian customers??
Old 6th February 2010, 01:24   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Can honestly compare it to my steed - THE MG413W offroad
I think we are comparing apples to oranges. Thar should be campared with bolero,Scorpio and Safari.

Jeep and Gypsy's are a different league. Again its just my opinion.
Old 6th February 2010, 21:00   #688
BHPian

When is the Thar launch yaaar?
Mahindra had released a JT Bangalore events docs showing pics of all the Mahindra vehicles in action. It talks a lot about Mahidra's dedication for 4X4 world. Thar being the crown. Its shows that Thar's launch is near & may be we will see some more 4X4 from Mahindra in the future.
One luxury SUV is already in the making (may be its going to bigger than Scorpio, based on AXE's platform).
Old 6th February 2010, 21:26   #689
Team-BHP Support

Do you have the doc or the link to the same? If so please upload/post.
Old 8th February 2010, 20:45   #690
BHPian

Guys Me & my friend were having discussions on Thar / Auto Expo & various options we can get. Just got curious about the special seat which are installed in THAR which was showcased in Auto Expo. Request if experts can help us answer
1. What are those seats called.
2. Are the available in Indian market.
3. What would be there approx Cost in Indian market
Closed Thread

Most Viewed