Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2010, 21:43   #706
Senior - BHPian

I want in my THAR:

1. FFRA - Full Floating REAR AXLE
2. MLD - MECHANICAL LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL - I can accept LSD in the front only.
3. Solid Axle Coil Spring setup. Not the present IFS.
4. Better exhaust routing - A Flat Under Body..
5. The Same sexy doors and seats
6. Good AT Tyres
7. PS, AC, And a fully lockable cabin!!
8. A Better gearbox with a shorter shift distance
9. A Higher GC - Maybe the Pneumatic suspension lift kits like the ones fitted on the TLC by the coimbatore guys..[Its only 100K odd for a TLC and aftermarket -hence OE should be CHEAPER and BETTER]
10. ON ROAD PRICE - Rs. 500,000 [FIVE LAKHS ONLY] - This is if you want to sell decent numbers.. This should be the replacement for the Classic that M&M once sold!!
11. Armada Grand Type steering.
12. Lighter Clutch action.

Well Please dont curse me!!
Old 14th February 2010, 21:50   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I want in my THAR:

6. Good AT Tyres
9. A Higher GC - Maybe the Pneumatic suspension lift kits like the ones fitted on the TLC by the coimbatore guys..[Its only 100K odd for a TLC and aftermarket -hence OE should be CHEAPER and BETTER]
10. ON ROAD PRICE - Rs. 500,000 [FIVE LAKHS ONLY] - This is if you want to sell decent numbers.. This should be the replacement for the Classic that M&M once sold!!

@Headers- you want all these that too at 5 lakhs on road. Please ask GTO how much he paid for that XD3P engine of his Jeep, you will get the answer, do you have any idea how much a Major costs?

Spike
Old 14th February 2010, 22:50   #708

@Headers. That is completely illogical and unreasonable man!! Its actually a little funny that you should say that!! Anyways, watching this thread closely as usual!
Old 14th February 2010, 22:57   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
do you have any idea how much a Major costs?
Does it really cost that much to make a major ? What hi-tech stuff does it have in it that makes it expensive to manufacture say compared to a hatch or sedan that costs a similar amount of money ?
Old 14th February 2010, 22:59   #710
Senior - BHPian

spike, LSD & FFRA-Yes, A/C-optional upgrade.
Old 14th February 2010, 23:02   #711
Senior - BHPian

@Technologist comparing a Hatch and a major is like comparing apples to oranges both are in a different league altogether,

Spike
Old 14th February 2010, 23:04   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I want in my THAR:

6. Good AT Tyres

Thanks....I will take five of those!
Old 14th February 2010, 23:17   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Milecruncher if you have an option of upgrading it to an AC what would you say, because the Thar displayed in Auto expo and Bangalore OTR did not have an AC, but it was capable of being upgraded to AC. I believe you want AC as a factory fitted option right?

Spike
Yes factory fitted option. I was almost about to buy the Gypsy but non-availability of A/C and question of voiding warranty due to after market fitment put the spanner in the works.

And yes my budget would be about 6Lkahs Ex showroom, nothing more
Old 15th February 2010, 00:04   #714
BHPian

Just give us whatever you can within 5lakhs -6lakhs onroad (a ST 4X4 with P/S).
If you make another version of Thar, say with A/C, LSD & FFRA, how much will that add to stock price?
Another version with above all +Hard Top, again what will be the cost?
Old 15th February 2010, 00:26   #715
Senior - BHPian

Cmvr

@offroad maniac well said, its not just the cost that we are talking here, there are other factors to it, a manufacturer cannot put a new product into market unless:-
a) It satisfies all norms b) It is tested and validated, also if you deviate from the current set up it will result in more lead times for delivering the final product. Just for information to the members i am attaching a pic showing a regulatory requirement as mentioned in CMVR. It comes under the category "Foot controls AIS035" which specifies minimum dimensions which needs to be maintained by the vehicle manufacturer. This is just one of the aspects which any manufacturer has to meet, I can go on and on and on.

@Arka Sir, are you listening?

Spike
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-driving-position.jpg  

Old 15th February 2010, 06:55   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@spike:

Just take the solid axle black thar that was displayed in the bologna autoshow, remove the pink velvet girly interiors and give us that. If the CRDe engine is too expensive give us the BSIII version of the DI Turbo engine ( I am sure you have that) !!.

Keep it simple. Why over complicate and off-roader. Give all the rest of the goodies as dealer installed after market options including MLD/AC/LSD/AC/ This is the model I am talking about.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...o-india-2.html

Many folks in this form want a range rover features at less than 5 lakhs OTR. Those folks will keep dreaming and will keep cribbing when the thar is launched cause 5 lakhs OTR ain't happening for the Thar. As far as I know Mahindra is not a charity but a private profit making enterprise.

Guys just get a quote for a Major 4x4 or Invader 4x4 and seriously ask your self if the Thar can be sold for less than that !!
Old 15th February 2010, 07:48   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Headers- you want all these that too at 5 lakhs on road.
Spike: I suggested a Price for you to SELL - Not Display X Showroom. Again, pricing is subjective, so we leave it to individuals. Just FYI, most of the offroaders I know may not be comfortable with a price > 5L as we ALWAYS spend on our vehicles to give it our individuality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
@Headers. That is completely illogical and unreasonable man!! Its actually a little funny that you should say that!! Anyways, watching this thread closely as usual!
Whats funny Cyrus43 - I would like to understand which part is funny, Illogical and Unreasonable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
And yes my budget would be about 6Lkahs Ex showroom, nothing more
A pricing Hint!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Just give us whatever you can within 5lakhs -6lakhs onroad (a ST 4X4 with P/S).
Another

Quote:
@offroad maniac well said, its not just the cost that we are talking here, there are other factors to it, a manufacturer cannot put a new product into market unless:-
a) It satisfies all norms b) It is tested and validated, also if you deviate from the current set up it will result in more lead times for delivering the final product. Just for information to the members i am attaching a pic showing a regulatory requirement as mentioned in CMVR. It comes under the category "Foot controls AIS035" which specifies minimum dimensions which needs to be maintained by the vehicle manufacturer. This is just one of the aspects which any manufacturer has to meet, I can go on and on and on.

@Arka Sir, are you listening?

Spike
Spike - This is nothing new - Come on, M&M is not a small enterprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Many folks in this form want a range rover features at less than 5 lakhs OTR. Those folks will keep dreaming and will keep cribbing when the thar is launched cause 5 lakhs OTR ain't happening for the Thar. As far as I know Mahindra is not a charity but a private profit making enterprise.
Sir, What one wants is a simple, efficient, offroad machine that CAN withstand abuse.

Please tell me - how many of us are inclined to put a NISSAN PATROL or a TLC through a rough offroad trail and keep spending money to get it back in shape ?

And the THAR aint gonna get numbers if it is priced 8L
Old 15th February 2010, 09:59   #718
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@headers:

I would love the Thar to be at 5 lakhs OTR but with the features many people on this forum want it cannot be less than 5 lakhs OTR unless Mahindra decides to give away at no profit or at a loss. Just trying to get people to manage their expectations rather than be dissappointed down the line? Can you expect it to be cheaper than an Invader or Major 4x4? If you recall the Classic was relatively expensive compared to the CJ500/MM540 when it was launced. Personally I think it will be about 6.5 lakh OTR. Anything beyond that and it may as well not be launched other than as a one off limited edition like the Legend.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 15th February 2010 at 10:00.
Old 15th February 2010, 10:02   #719
Senior - BHPian

@4x4addict good point there, any idea what was its (Classic) selling price when it was launched..
OT- What was the cost of Legend?

Spike
Old 15th February 2010, 10:14   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@4x4addict good point there, any idea what was its (Classic) selling price when it was launched..

Spike
The classic was for approx Rs. 4.65 lakhs on the road (bombay) in 1999.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed