Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 15:59   #736
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@spike:

Just take the solid axle black thar that was displayed in the bologna autoshow, remove the pink velvet girly interiors and give us that.
This with disc brakes and clean underbody at 5 lakh ex-showroom price anyone???!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@getsurya, ok what dress level would you like in the 5.5-6.5 L range? dress level means LSD,FFRA,Tyres etc etc. ofcourse some of these mentioned here are governed by law for e.g. tyres

Spike
Even the current avatar with a clean underbody and a good rear axle at 6-6.25 lakhs On The Road price in BLR is fine, i can make the down payment right NOW! And i mean the R&D avatar not the show car.

Give me stock tyre, simple dash board, no doors, even no soft top. I really dont care. But give me the piece which i can take offroad without breaking my head over and over again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I want in my THAR:

1. FFRA - Full Floating REAR AXLE
============
12. Lighter Clutch action.

Well Please dont curse me!!
Please tell me you are NOT serious!

Bloody no frills gypsy soft top version cost 5.85 OTR in BLR lol Similarly no frills Thar at 25 to 50k more is OK.

EDIT: no offence to Terratigers, but all of you having same avatar is quite confusing for others.
Old 15th February 2010, 16:01   #737
BHPian

2 bits

Have been noticing the thread for quite sometime now. Im afraid this is going to be a long post so please bear.

I guess its important that we appreciate the junta at Mahindras who are committed at making Thar viable to us. Yes, it is true that we t-bhpians think from the heart and not the head, when it comes to our wheels. I believe its the passion that makes one successful right be it an artist or an analytical manager. It is passion that has made M&M develop this vehicle.

I was not too sure when the first news on the vehicle being derived on the scorpio platform was announced. Yes, it was rather overweight as I had thought it would be. But if it accelerates to 147 kmph as expressed, then the speculations of it being bulky and slow are put to rest. Developing a vehicle is a time consuming and an extensive process. Hyundai just developed the Kappa engine and went gaga over the breakthrough and the money spent for the project. The M&M engineers certainly know what they are up to. They are one the finest, developing indigenous vehicles, compared to the manufacturers who just modify vehicles to suit the country of use. Thar is a promising package, a true vehicle to Reclaim your life. But as i see it there would be anxieties within the company on moving at a faster pace of launching it.

As I said it is passion with practicality that makes the difference. IMHO the zen would not have been a runaway success if Maruti had just pondered how many takers would be there for a car which is just marginally bigger than the 800, but costs twice as much, at a time when the customer is so price sensitive, that he even avoids plonking an a/c. Im sure people who bought the zen was for the passion of being on the road than anything else.

Its people who believe in the Thar not only for its off road ability but also its practicality, to go to their dealers and ask about the launch date and price of the Thar. Let the push strategy work the other way to get the marketing and other guys get going.
I have come across this phrase EOL, would like to know what it is.

Thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th February 2010 at 16:04. Reason: Space between paragraph's help in readability, Thanks
Old 15th February 2010, 16:09   #738
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
As I said it is passion with practicality that makes the difference. IMHO the zen would not have been a runaway success if Maruti had just pondered how many takers would be there for a car which is just marginally bigger than the 800, but costs twice as much, at a time when the customer is so price sensitive, that he even avoids plonking an a/c. Im sure people who bought the zen was for the passion of being on the road than anything else.
Its the otherway around for Thar, how many would prefer a Thar (800) over Scorpio (Zen)?

Coming back to your comparison, Zen was a huge upgrade from 800. Both in comfort, desirability and performance. It was even attractive for Esteem owners.

Rest i agree, M&M definitely has the heritage (experience) and the expertise to build superb offroader's. But how they package it will determine the sales number.

If Thar is presented as a yuppie mobile, it will sell couple of pieces here and there, especially at 7 lakh + OTR price.
Old 15th February 2010, 16:27   #739
Senior - BHPian

A small correction

Saar, Slight correction below

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post

She: Does it have a power steering?
Ans. i say Yes (proudly)
She: Does it have A/c?
Ans.No. Yes if I buy the correct variant
She: Does it have power windows?
Ans.No. Again Yes if I buy the correct variant

She: Does it have a vanity mirror at-least?
Ans. No! Yes it has. Even the Bolero has a vanity Mirror. May not be the lit variety like in Xylo but still I'm sure it will be there

She: What does it have for 6.5 lakhs?
Ans. off road-ability and cruise-ability with comfort
So you should try to convince your wife to spend some moer money to allow you to buy the top-end variant with all the goodies

Last edited by MileCruncher : 15th February 2010 at 16:30.
Old 15th February 2010, 16:35   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Saar, Slight correction below

So you should try to convince your wife to spend some moer money to allow you to buy the top-end variant with all the goodies
Saar,
But Bolero VLX doesn't come with 4wd, my primary requirement.
What M&M gives my wife doesn't want and what i want M&M doesn't give
Old 15th February 2010, 17:21   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Please tell me you are NOT serious!

Bloody no frills gypsy soft top version cost 5.85 OTR in BLR lol Similarly no frills Thar at 25 to 50k more is OK.

EDIT: no offence to Terratigers, but all of you having same avatar is quite confusing for others.
I AM SERIOUS Jaggu - Lets not get into comparisons, but if you do wanna compare, give me a bloody no frills gypsy and see what it can do!!! The Basic underbody architecture is great

EDIT: I do agree that the gypsy is OVERPRICED TOO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Saar,
But Bolero VLX doesn't come with 4wd, my primary requirement.
What M&M gives my wife doesn't want and what i want M&M doesn't give
Arey VN: You are really . If I were you, I would use my good offices and connections to get a simple manual TC and 4wd onto my Storm. It IS POSSIBLE and all are happy.

And I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT. I dont mind giving you company either...guess we are deviating..SORRY guys

Last edited by headers : 15th February 2010 at 17:25.
Old 15th February 2010, 17:26   #742
Senior - BHPian

@Headers can you tell me how will you get the mods done? Any issues you will face?

Spike
Old 15th February 2010, 17:33   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Headers can you tell me how will you get the mods done? Any issues you will face?

Spike
1. I will go for the NGT530R with 4WD TC. manual or THAR GB swap with Storm.
2. Front IFS coils will have to go - I'm OK with a Torsion bar setup
3. Need the front Axle with differential from Scorpio 4wd.
4. The Front half of a Scorpio 4wd has to be setup in the Storm - I know you can do it and so do you
5. Tweaking of the ECU etc can be done - Its not impossible.

A 4wd Storm is not too difficult to create if people like you want to help people like me, help people like VN
Old 15th February 2010, 17:50   #744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
1. I will go for the NGT530R with 4WD TC. manual or THAR GB swap with Storm.
2. Front IFS coils will have to go - I'm OK with a Torsion bar setup
3. Need the front Axle with differential from Scorpio 4wd.
4. The Front half of a Scorpio 4wd has to be setup in the Storm - I know you can do it and so do you
5. Tweaking of the ECU etc can be done - Its not impossible.

A 4wd Storm is not too difficult to create if people like you want to help people like me, help people like VN
Headers,
Considering that they give us every BOM how will you mount the torsion bar and where? Does storm's chassis have that provision already? I doubt. I know export DC bolero come with similar set up for 4wd, but what about storm's chassis?

Spike educate me on this

With regards

Vinod

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 15th February 2010 at 17:54.
Old 15th February 2010, 17:53   #745
Senior - BHPian

Storm to 4WD conversion

Dear Headers,

your funda is clear, your GB is NGT530R, so that problem is solved, you will have to change/modify the rear tunnel housing to suit the transfer case,also your adaptor plate will change, if you do this without changing the transmission mtg cross member your transmission mounting insulator will interfere with the ribs in your tunnel casing (Fouling) , you can get away by grinding few of the ribs or else shift the cross member downwards by 15 mm this may lead to critical clearances with the propeller shaft considering it is long (which means the travel of shaft will be less L=r x theta) you will get away with this too, points 4 and 5 will be a breeze if you have good resources (workshop,mechanics etc) but points 2 and 3 will be critical as you will have to fabricate mountings for axle and torsion bar control arm (this will need a closed type cross member, see my post on cross members in the technical section), if you falter by more than 5 mm in this area you will have differences in the LH and RH side ride heights, resulting in bad handling, tyre wear, change in vehicle stance etc, so decide for yourself, if the answer is still Yes, we might be of some help to you. Also you will have to grind a small portion of the engine gusset on the RH side to provide clearances with the front propeller shaft.

Spike

PS- The speedo gear for 4WD is housed in the transfer case assy, whereas it is in the GB tunnel housing in the case of a 2WD.
(Also which torsion bar will you use,the longer one Bolero Export or the shorter one Scorpio 4WD )

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 15th February 2010 at 17:55.
Old 15th February 2010, 17:56   #746
Team-BHP Support

Guys lets stick to Thar discussions, this is a very different technical topic. Do create a new one for the same.
Old 15th February 2010, 17:57   #747
Team-BHP Support

Guys, this is not a modding thread.
Old 15th February 2010, 18:48   #748
BHPian

MAHINDRA THAR, when will it be launched in India?

Given that one was spotted being tested on the Pune Mumbai express way after which, the bling bling model was shown off at the Auto Expo & BLR OTR, then there were series of mails confirming some of the Senior BHPians have driven around in it, then Behram Sir confirming his blissed experience driving it around and finally followed by the launch in Europe.

I understand that the Thar is built and ready having to confirm to the CMVR requirements, however it shouldn't take this long as we've seen similar jeeps passing through the requirements in the past.

Variants, options and models will continue to better and prices will differ, why then is it taking so long?

We should be thankful to M&M for hearing out the cry's from the wild for creating the THAR, but when will it be for us to grab?

Gosh! I'm getting really impatient!
Old 15th February 2010, 18:56   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Its the otherway around for Thar, how many would prefer a Thar (800) over Scorpio (Zen)?

Coming back to your comparison, Zen was a huge upgrade from 800. Both in comfort, desirability and performance. It was even attractive for Esteem owners.

Rest i agree, M&M definitely has the heritage (experience) and the expertise to build superb offroader's. But how they package it will determine the sales number.

If Thar is presented as a yuppie mobile, it will sell couple of pieces here and there, especially at 7 lakh + OTR price.
Im afraid Jaggu, you got me wrong. what i meant was not a comparison between Thar & Scorpio. What I meant was that people who bought zen, was more for the driver compared to the other passengers.
Yes, it is still attractive for esteem owners, a 2002 zen retails in Mumbai for Rs. 1.4 lakhs approx. compared to an esteem which is a bigger car for approx. Rs. 1-1.4 lakhs.
Coming back to the Thar, there were people at the expo who were willing to sell their Rs. 7-8 lakh sedan to make way for the Thar.
Old 15th February 2010, 19:13   #750
BHPian

MAHINDRA THAR, when will it be launched in India?

First it was spotted being tested on the Mumbai Pune expressway, then it was the bling bling model shown off at the Auto Expo 2010 & BLR OTR, then a series of quotes confirming that the senior BHPians have driven it around and Behram Sir expressing his bliss driving around in it and then the launch in Europe.

Gosh! I'm getting really impatient.

In one of the earlier quotes, Behram Sir confirmed that we should expect a base variant which will be highly customizable, its a fair statement and given the long wish lists of many a jeepers, it should satisfy the taste buds of most, if not all.

Pricing expectations can also be managed by stripping down the automobile to a very basic model and then offering everything else as options (similar to the Wrangler - build your jeep website)

The CMVR requirements can be easily met, given we've seen similar jeeps launched in the past.

Can we please have one for grabs soon!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks