Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 20:41   #1096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Sorry all (as I am not into off-roading much and this is off-topic for me), but is this thread the longest for a vehicle that is not yet released? 73 pages and growing.
As to myself, I am learning a lot of terms (off roading jargon, i mean). Thanks all.
Yes.. This is probably the "MOST AWAITED LAUNCH ON TEAM-BHP"

How much fruitful... raam jane
Old 11th March 2010, 20:47   #1097
Senior - BHPian

@offroad: The final drive ratio means engine speed translating into road speed. So in case of THAR it means lesser engine speed providing higher road speed.

Also one thing to consider over here is that higher the speed, lower the available torque. In case of OTR situations you require the maximum amount of torque. So with the THAR final drive ratio, even in 4L, you will not get the amount of torque which a MMXX0 will generate.
Old 11th March 2010, 21:01   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@offroad: The final drive ratio means engine speed translating into road speed. So in case of THAR it means lesser engine speed providing higher road speed.

Also one thing to consider over here is that higher the speed, lower the available torque. In case of OTR situations you require the maximum amount of torque. So with the THAR final drive ratio, even in 4L, you will not get the amount of torque which a MMXX0 will generate.
Thats what I have said in last line.

Just wanted some info regarding Axle Capacity
Old 11th March 2010, 21:09   #1099
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
What is wrong with Thar drive ratio? Can you shed some more light with the figures? I thought the torque figure was better than all the Jeeps so far.
Old 11th March 2010, 21:53   #1100
Senior - BHPian

@sharat: There is difference between: Torque / Torque @ Each wheel / Torque at flywheel etc.

My friend Vinu is invited to this platform to explain that better!

IMO there is nothing wrong with the Thar Drive Ratio. We are only speculating on certain design aspects of the THAR such as IFS, SFRA etc and how it would impact the target segment of buyers.

Like Arka mentioned in a previous post: IFS is more susceptible to damage than Solid Axle.

And BTW, solid axle leaf spring vehicles have a good handling too. IFS is more comfortable for the driver comfort wise, but reliability goes for a toss in OTRs.

BTW, this is very similar to wheel balancing and alignment in modern cars.
Why did not many do wheel balancing and alignment in Ambassadors and Fiats? Think and you will get your answer!

Old 11th March 2010, 23:19   #1101
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - As database of my 1000th post on Team BHP, I take this opportunity to finally present to you, photographs of my dream vehicle, the Mahindra Thar. We have put our auto-passion, our heart and our soul into this project. Please help us to ensure that the vehicle succeeds in the marketplace. We promise you that we shall try and incorporate whatever is possible out of what you, as our most esteemed customers, want.

Thank you TeamBHP moderators & support staff for this wonderfully rewarding journey.

Please accept my best personal regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc00001.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc00002.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc00039.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc00056.jpg  

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2010, 23:24   #1102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - As database of my 1000th post on Team BHP, I take this opportunity to finally present to you, photographs of my dream vehicle, the Mahindra Thar.

Behram Dhabhar
Sir,
This is a Treat for us!

I am feeling very nostalgic as it looks just like our Family's first Jeep 1989 MM 540.!

Thank you Sir.. Its a dream come true for me. THAR is my next vehicle.

I wish all the very best for THAR Team.
Old 11th March 2010, 23:32   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear all - As database of my 1000th post on Team BHP, I take this opportunity to finally present to you, photographs of my dream vehicle, the Mahindra Thar. We have put our auto-passion, our heart and our soul into this project. Please help us to ensure that the vehicle succeeds in the marketplace. We promise you that we shall try and incorporate whatever is possible out of what you, as our most esteemed customers, want.

Thank you TeamBHP moderators & support staff for this wonderfully rewarding journey.

Behram Dhabhar
Wow! Finally we have proper pix! Thanks a ton behram sir. Is this the final version to be launched here? Coz i see a south africa sticker on the windshield. But personally, i would have preferred if the Thar would've looked a little more different from the 540.
can we have some interior pix too? Also, any idea about the launch date?

Last edited by JayD : 11th March 2010 at 23:33.
Old 11th March 2010, 23:35   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Will the production version of THAR have hard top or soft top?
Old 12th March 2010, 00:01   #1105
BHPian

Behram sir,

Congratulations and hats off to your effort and passion for this project as well as numerous others. Thar looks same still so refreshing. One very minor thing, the black rims (not silver like in Major) was very important in my opinion.
About the technical and mechanical things like solid axle etc rightly mentioned by Arka and other members, can't these be offered as features or trims like solid axle for hard core off road customers and IFS for highway driving customers.

Now price and launch date(ASAP) are much awaited.

Regards

Pranav
Old 12th March 2010, 00:04   #1106
BHPian

Quote:

Behram Dhabhar
Yes! finally its here.....Thanks Behram Sir and the Thar Team
Old 12th March 2010, 00:05   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Behram Dhabhar
So now that the real [Indian version] THAR is shown when do we get to drive one??
Old 12th March 2010, 00:09   #1108
BANNED

Congrats Sir for your success. Hope to test drive it soon ....
Old 12th March 2010, 01:02   #1109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@sharat: There is difference between: Torque / Torque @ Each wheel / Torque at flywheel etc.
I know that Vikram, but torque and drive ratio of Thar was never a concern so far, hence was surprised by this new thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
We are only speculating on certain design aspects of the THAR such as IFS, SFRA etc and how it would impact the target segment of buyers.

Like Arka mentioned in a previous post: IFS is more susceptible to damage than Solid Axle.
Yes, I have been reading the thread. I am aware of it. I have taken both my solid axle 4WD and IFS 4WD offroad, so I understand the issues. See what happened when a 2WD Jeep and 4WD Grand Vitara got stuck in the same sand. The solid axle 2WD Jeep could be recovered lot faster than the IFS 4WD Grand Vitara.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post1744715

Quote:
Wonderful to see these set of photographs Behram. They finally show the real Thar that will hit the market. I believe Thar will be quite popular among the traditional Jeep markets.

However, the regulars at JeepThrills/Team-BHP/NIOC trails may not pull out their cheque books in any hurry. Thar will have to show that it can overcome the IFS disadvantage in our kind of offroad trails. The IFS often tends to make the vehicle sit on the chassis a lot more than solid axle Jeep. Again, recovering a IFS vehicle is lot harder. This I know from my own experience (many times) since I own both kind of 4WD vehicle. Therefore, Thar would have to show that it can overcome the known offroad maladies of IFS.
Old 12th March 2010, 01:19   #1110
BHPian

Quote:

Behram Dhabhar
Beautiful Mr. Behram. White Thar has killer looks.
Congrats to you and your team .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks