Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 19:55   #1276
Senior - BHPian

offroad maniac, nice info there, many thanks.

Spike
Old 6th April 2010, 20:00   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
offroad maniac, nice info there, many thanks.

Spike
Dear Spike,

Simple thanks wont do. Please reveal something from your side as well...

why so serious!! Why so secret??
Old 6th April 2010, 22:11   #1278
BHPian

The Thar looks great in the photos. I had doubts about the more modern system but these photos show that it's more capable than I would ever have a need for. The flex seems great for a stock machine. The price is fair for what is offered.

The only thing that bothers me is the look of the plastic hub caps. Why not use simple and nice steel wheels like the Wrangler X or Suzuki Vitara ones? Not interested in alloys, just a simple steel wheel with a nice design.

Last edited by JeepMkd : 6th April 2010 at 22:15.
Old 6th April 2010, 22:18   #1279
BHPian

The front end articulation is very little when compared to the rear.
Drawback of not having a solid axle.
Old 7th April 2010, 08:49   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMkd View Post
The only thing that bothers me is the look of the plastic hub caps. Why not use simple and nice steel wheels like the Wrangler X or Suzuki Vitara ones? Not interested in alloys, just a simple steel wheel with a nice design.
JeepMkd, steel wheels are offered as an OE, those hub caps are given by the dealer as an accessory.

Spike
Old 7th April 2010, 09:20   #1281
Senior - BHPian

What is this patch for? Sticks out like a sore thumb.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-jeep-thar-001.jpg  

Old 7th April 2010, 11:12   #1282
KMT
BHPian

Well you have already forgotten the good old 540, obviously every bit of the original has been lovingly carried over. Some models of Land Rover Defenders have Aluminium sheeting to reinforce joints, it looks quite macho.
I wish they could lower the windshield and B pillar, cosmetically the rest is OK. A few of the army body handles and spade/axe holders would go well with this look.

Please tell me it is an A/c condensor out in front of the radiator. If it is the intercooler, I have to say that the car might as well have been put together by my village mechanic.
Old 7th April 2010, 11:24   #1283
Senior - BHPian

IFS drawback compensated

Off road maniac,
Thanks for those wonderful pics. Awesome articulation i must say!! Bolero's rear springs with long shakles and over all geometry provides excellent articulation.

I am sure in stock form or even with anti roll bar removed Thar can out class a gypsy and any other IFS based 4x4 on articulation front.

Ah its so difficult for me to see the rear stressed out too much because of IFS. Anyway i am happy right springs were chosen to compensate for loss in articulation due to IFS

Behram sir- Now you know why i was stressing on use of Bolero rear springs and not Marshall's. Your EP1 cannot match this!

p.s- Looking at this it is impossible for a Tyre upgrade beyond 245's. Else it will rub in the inner wheel wells.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 7th April 2010 at 11:31.
Old 7th April 2010, 11:29   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Off road maniac,
Thanks for those wonderful pics. Awesome articulation i must say!! Bolero's rear springs with long shakles and over all geometry provides excellent articulation.

I am sure in stock form or even with anti roll bar removed Thar can out class a gypsy and any other IFS based 4x4 on articulation front.

Ah its so difficult for me to see the rear stressed out too much because of IFS. Anyway i am happy right springs were chosen to compensate for loss in articulation due to IFS

Behram sir- Now you know why i was stressing on use of Bolero rear springs and not Marshall's. Your EP1 cannot match this!

p.s- Looking at this it is impossible for a Tyre upgrade beyond 245's. Else it will rum in the inner wheel wells.
Dear Vinod - The Thar was expected to run rings in 2WD hence only the rear suspension & Axle was worked on for OTRs.

Best Regards,

Arka

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1573142-post120.html

Last edited by ex670c : 7th April 2010 at 11:31.
Old 7th April 2010, 11:37   #1285
Senior - BHPian

What is that black sheet on the inner side of rear tail gate?

@Arka- thanks for the link for instant comparision. Its no doubt solid axle rules on overall articulation but i feel Thar's rear suspension articulation has surpassed a jeep.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 7th April 2010 at 11:40.
Old 7th April 2010, 11:40   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Fibre

Quote:
What is that black sheet on the inner side of rear tail gate?
CARBON FIBRE Reinforcement for the Tail Gate
Old 7th April 2010, 12:11   #1287
Senior - BHPian

specs

@DB sir, Please insist on changing the specs of Thar ramp over angle in the sales broucher. It cannot be 15 degree only. Much longer Xenon has 15 degree ramp over angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-4x4_2.jpg  

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 7th April 2010 at 12:15.
Old 7th April 2010, 21:35   #1288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Please tell me it is an A/c condensor out in front of the radiator. If it is the intercooler, I have to say that the car might as well have been put together by my village mechanic.
@KMT: Unfortunately, It is the IC mounted in front that is claimed to have been tested for 100K kms. [Courtesy S A]

I too believe that it is

Quote:

@VN my friend, please dont dare compare the THAR with a Gypsy. Starting from Acceleration through gears or doing a slalom at 80 kph or having a drag at MMST, the gypsy will BEAT the THAR hands down .

The same articulation which is claimed to be great contributes to its lousy handling - Yes or No ?
Old 7th April 2010, 22:53   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
@VN my friend, please dont dare compare the THAR with a Gypsy. Starting from Acceleration through gears or doing a slalom at 80 kph or having a drag at MMST, the gypsy will BEAT the THAR hands down .

The same articulation which is claimed to be great contributes to its lousy handling - Yes or No ?
The articulation seems to be large/great and this worries me. Arka, you may be right. It may lead to poor handling.

Can't wait to drive one to know/understand its ride, handling and capability

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th April 2010 at 17:08. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 8th April 2010, 06:38   #1290
BHPian

There's coverage available, on various automotive websites, of the Thar's recent launch in South Africa :

Mahindra launches Willy's Jeep: Wheels: NewModels - don't miss reading the Comments below the main article.

Terrain-tackling Thar

Some other main auto magazines don't appear to have coverage of the launch topCar | magazine online , Leisurewheels.com: The Adventure Motoring Magazine |4x4| Safari | Motoring | Outdoors | SUV
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks