Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 07:02   #1291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I am copying and pasting some customer comments on the Thar from South Africa.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, this is typically going the Indian way - I mean:

1. You guys should have given it to a select bunch of 4x4 addicts in various zones who would have gladly tested the vehicle for you and posted comments in various forums.

2. Instead, you chose to go the "firangi" way [read drooling at foreign people] and sell your vehicle there after developing it in INDIA. And to add insult to injury, you quote some jack who claims jack***t.

Sorry, but I am disappointed with that approach!!

OK, to get the ball rolling, atleast let the THAR come out in Indian market, sell 1000 pieces and lets understand where the product stands. Until then .. Cheers
Old 8th April 2010, 10:16   #1292
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sorry, but I am disappointed with that approach!!
Already many mfg's invite journos from various mags to test drive their cars for free publicity. Its another story that the wining and dining makes sure only positive feedback gets given. Even someone like Jeremy Clarkson is known to trash a car if a mfg doesn't cater to his personal requests!!

Ultimately though its all about sales. If the Thar sells well, abroad or here in India then the team got it right. If it falls flat either the product gets a quiet burial or if the management is determined to make it succeed they may tweak it further to try to capture a decent market for it

One thing is for sure that the wishlist of most people here for what they would have liked on the Thar would have guaranteed its burial !! Guys just think about it. Mahindra could have easily released the 550 if it believed there is a market for it. Fact is there is none.

In its present config it stands the best chance to have a go at the Indian market and perhaps, just perhaps, become a permanent part of the model lineup from M&M
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2010, 10:29   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Head to head...headers:-)))

Quote:

@VN my friend, please dont dare compare the THAR with a Gypsy. Starting from Acceleration through gears or doing a slalom at 80 kph or having a drag at MMST, the gypsy will BEAT the THAR hands down .

The same articulation which is claimed to be great contributes to its lousy handling - Yes or No ?
Headers,
oppss...i seem to press the wrong button. Remember what i always say?- A Gypsy should not pretend to articulate and a Mahindra should not try to race!!

As far as i know you have really cherished your Bolero storm. How does it handle? I am sure you would have done much better speeds on road in your Bolero than your Gypsy. Your obvious choice for highway is storm than Gypsy because it is more comfortable and drinks right fuel and handles rather decently well. When Storm can do it why not Thar? It is essentially the same suspension package bit by bit! Of course, due to additional WB strom has slight advantage on handling. Hence Thar's suspension package is the best compromise between ride and handling what you can get out of Mahindra. Thar would be the obvious choice for people who would want to do lot of highway driving and hard core soft-roading:-)

Race track vehicles are different as you would agree! A vehicle that can ride well doesn't handle well and vice versa unless you put adaptive shocks and semi-active suspension.

Well about acceleration, i believe i can out run a stock Gypsy. This is my pure perception, gut feel! Let tests speak for itself when it is launched here

Salmon at 80 kmph?? i would try that only in a BMW X5!

pic suggesting how thar would handle when pushed to limit. IFS here is preventing this Bolero from a complete roll over!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-jackson-2.jpg  

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 8th April 2010 at 10:44.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:45   #1294
Senior - BHPian

Off-Road Capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - handling of Thar? . Not more than 2 smilies per post, correct?

I am copying and pasting some customer comments on the Thar from South Africa.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi DB Sir,

We don't care if the AWB Scorpio handles well on road or not.

We don't consider handling like a Car a 4WD attribute, but cannot understand car like off-road ability.

Since it has 2 Differentials and wants to play with the boys.

Can it DO A JEEPTHRILLS off-road?

Or Farm Duty is South Africa with IFS, Rack & Pinion and SFRA it will be pitted against the TLC 70 Series and the older FJs?

And why don't you post what the South Africans have to say about the IFS.

They are partially right, this could have killed the JEEP Wrangler, ONLY if...

But that's already been done to death.

Regards,

Arka
Old 8th April 2010, 10:57   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
One thing is for sure that the wishlist of most people here for what they would have liked on the Thar would have guaranteed its burial !! Guys just think about it. Mahindra could have easily released the 550 if it believed there is a market for it. Fact is there is none.

In its present config it stands the best chance to have a go at the Indian market and perhaps, just perhaps, become a permanent part of the model lineup from M&M
HI DKG,

Ask yourself this- Why does the Thar have a MM550 body why not a more modern Bolero Invader body?

Because the MM550 looks TOO DAMN AWESOME FREAKING HOT!!!!

Mahindra MM550XD - NGCS (New Generation Chassis & Suspension)

Mahindra MM550XD

My MM550XD

And rather surprisingly the mechanical system for the MM550XD NGCS was spot on, had everything from the wish list (engine subject to Emission Norms)

I guess the design team for the MM 550XD NGCS, knew their JEEPs and had Off-Road experience and were the no-nonsense kind.

The general public made repeated request to M&M to give them a MM550.

So the Sales Dept decides that MM550 LOOKS is the ways to go.

The Engineers decide the mechanical system.

Chassis - Bolero Pickup Series + Scorpio
Engine & Gearbox - Storm
Front Unit - Scorpio (Rack & Pinion)
Rear Unit - Bolero Pickup Series (SFRA)
T-Case - the Manual Borg-Warner.

Regards,

Arka

PS - This is farm only in Europe, but Road Legal in INDIA, I Guess Life is Cheap here.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:27   #1296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Well you have already forgotten the good old 540, obviously every bit of the original has been lovingly carried over. Some models of Land Rover Defenders have Aluminium sheeting to reinforce joints, it looks quite macho.
Definitely haven't forgotten them from the 550. That is why I was wondering, why retain that. Doesn't seem to be a fashion statement, not exactly macho either. Seems more like penny-saving (excuse the pun).
Old 8th April 2010, 11:43   #1297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

PS - This is farm only in Europe, but Road Legal in INDIA, I Guess Life is Cheap here.
This is what the purpose a THAR will serve in Europe and SA. This is the market segment for which M&M is aiming at and not a fun vehicle like we expect.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc00679.jpg  

Old 8th April 2010, 12:38   #1298
Senior - BHPian

Farm Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
This is what the purpose a THAR will serve in Europe and SA. This is the market segment for which M&M is aiming at and not a fun vehicle like we expect.
Hi Star,

I understand, that the European Model will be Farm Only.

Can you elaborate more on their role?

I think the pic is of a SWB Nissan Patrol, do you think in its current form the Thar has the Mechanical Components (Strength & Reliability) as a Solid Axle Nissan or TLC (older models)?

If this vehicle is not accepted for European Roads, why is it being launched in INDIA, as a lifestyle vehicle?

How many accidents have we seen with the Scorpio and how many with the MM540?

On the flip side, if the Thar had the mechanical System of the MM550XD, it would have been modified and used of OTRs and competitions (these vehicles are trailered or Towed to comps)

Regards,

Arka
Old 8th April 2010, 13:27   #1299
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Star,

I understand, that the European Model will be Farm Only.

Can you elaborate more on their role?

I think the pic is of a SWB Nissan Patrol, do you think in its current form the Thar has the Mechanical Components (Strength & Reliability) as a Solid Axle Nissan or TLC (older models)?

If this vehicle is not accepted for European Roads, why is it being launched in INDIA, as a lifestyle vehicle?

How many accidents have we seen with the Scorpio and how many with the MM540?

On the flip side, if the Thar had the mechanical System of the MM550XD, it would have been modified and used of OTRs and competitions (these vehicles are trailered or Towed to comps)

Regards,

Arka
Hi Arka,
The farm only vehicle usually falls under off-highway category. and it doesn't mean it is not road legal. The only thing is they are not Autobhan worthy. In most of the countries in Europe people are not allowed take their motored vehicle into the forest or off the highway. The exception is for only farmers or locals and polizie. And there is no OTR scene here anywhere except very few countries like italy and Austria offers a OTR park. These vehicles are used by farmers for the farming purpose and visiting nearby places through the slow routes. They are not allowed to take fast routes anywhere.
And the terrain is not worse as we have in INDIA.
here are some pics of country side where these vehicles are used.
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc00926.jpg
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc00927.jpg
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc00928.jpg
And people don't go often to the cities and here THAR will not be marketed in all the countries. there are few countries which has different speed limit for their state highways. if you see the below pic, it is state highway of belgium and limited speed is 70kmph always through out the country.
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc00973.jpg
If you see this pic, it is german autobahn which shows the cancelation of speed limit and after this point cars will go crazy and every one will be at a speed of 150+ in all the lanes with 100m of gap. How can we take THAR on these roads? But in INDIA chaltha hai.. Thats what M&M thinks..
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc01027.jpg

Last edited by star_aqua : 8th April 2010 at 13:29.
Old 8th April 2010, 13:52   #1300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I Guess Life is Cheap here.
You got it only NOW
Old 8th April 2010, 13:59   #1301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure you would have done much better speeds on road in your Bolero than your Gypsy.
Both max out at similar speeds, maybe storm has 20kph more!!

Quote:
Your obvious choice for highway is storm than Gypsy because it is more comfortable and drinks right fuel and handles rather decently well.
Not Actually. When Gas [LPG] was cheaper than diesel, the same gypsy that you see now doing OTRs was being used as my daily drive with AC and HT. Only a few have seen my Gypsy then. It handles better than the storm!
Quote:
When Storm can do it why not Thar? It is essentially the same suspension package bit by bit! Of course, due to additional WB strom has slight advantage on handling.
Lets wait and see!

Quote:
Hence Thar's suspension package is the best compromise between ride and handling what you can get out of Mahindra. Thar would be the obvious choice for people who would want to do lot of highway driving and hard core soft-roading:-)
Can you please tell me what is hardcore soft roading? LOL
VN:

Quote:
Well about acceleration, i believe i can out run a stock Gypsy. This is my pure perception, gut feel! Let tests speak for itself when it is launched here
Great, I'll be the gypsy driver sir!!

Quote:
Again, I'll be the gypsy driver sir!

Quote:
pic suggesting how thar would handle when pushed to limit. IFS here is preventing this Bolero from a complete roll over!
Infact, IFS here is doing exactly what it is not supposed to do! God, how we love to think differently eh
Old 8th April 2010, 14:12   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@VN my friend, please dont dare compare the THAR with a Gypsy. Starting from Acceleration through gears or doing a slalom at 80 kph or having a drag at MMST, the gypsy will BEAT the THAR hands down .
Headers my friend i would like to disagree with you on this. If you are comparing both vehicles in stock, then I am afraid this wont hold true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
As far as i know you have really cherished your Bolero storm. How does it handle? I am sure you would have done much better speeds on road in your Bolero than your Gypsy.
Well said Vinod!
@Headers please have a close look at the newer Storms. If possible test drive one, you will be surprised by the way it handles, incidentally this cue for storm was taken after its implementation on Thar.

Quote:
I guess the design team for the MM 550XD NGCS, knew their JEEPs and had Off-Road experience and were the no-nonsense kind.
Arka, this was a good one, i fell off from my chair after reading this.

Spike

OT- Headers have you done slalom on 80 kmph? If yes how, i mean the procedure?
Old 8th April 2010, 14:27   #1303
Senior - BHPian

80 kmph slalom

[quote=SPIKE ARRESTOR;1827421
OT- Headers have you done slalom on 80 kmph? If yes how, i mean the procedure?[/quote]

Headers don't you think 80 kmph is too much for any vehicle to do slalom?
Watch this some one is trying to tip samurai and the best was at about 65 to 70 kmph.

I would be happy if you be the Gypsy driver, i would stick to BMW x5. Heck...you are immune to roll over now, hence wouldn't hurt you

Quote:
hehe...wait and see headers, as you know only THAR can do that!!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 8th April 2010 at 14:31.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:51   #1304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Well, I wouldn't mind Salmon even at 120 kmph. They would be yummy at any speed and in any vehicle, 4-WD included. And a great thing to have during an off-road event.

And in the fish world, they (Salmons) are the true 4-WD types, climbing over even waterfalls.

Perhaps the Salmons can do slalom tests at much higher speeds in water.

Vinod - no offence please. Just munched on your typo!

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 8th April 2010 at 14:54.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:31   #1305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Please reveal something from your side as well...

why so serious!! Why so secret??
The company non-disclosure agreement, his job...

Quote:
Been there, done that. This is hardcore softroading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Well, I wouldn't mind Salmon even at 120 kmph. They would be yummy at any speed and in any vehicle, 4-WD included.
I would try Salmon at that speed only if I am not driving. Ah! that red juicy Salmon...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks