Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 18:41   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Vinod, How can it be possible to talk on a public forum when a vehicle is being developed?
Don't you think that's what happened right from wish list thread?
Old 9th April 2010, 18:43   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Don't you think that's what happened right from wish list thread?
The fact that "we" actually believed in it is what has upset some of us
Old 9th April 2010, 19:02   #1338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The fact that "we" actually believed in it is what has upset some of us
headers, i know what you are saying
Old 10th April 2010, 10:31   #1339
BHPian

mahindra and mahindra take pride in the non-disclosure abilities. Their success in keeping the development of the scorpio a secret even prompted them to offer that as a process product to other companies.
Old 10th April 2010, 10:37   #1340
Senior - BHPian

Optimised

Quote:
Guys, take it this way, Thar was up and ready from concept to production and export in just about an year. Even though it shares most of the parts trust me this is an achievement and by no terms one can say Mahindra is lethargic. Heck, most of the reputed builds took about an year on this forum , here you are talking about new product development guys!

p.s- Show me one person on this forum from a manufacturer who went public while vehicle is in development? I don't think so there are many or any!
Hi Nookala.Vinod,

If it takes M&M one year to do a mix n match from their parts bins, and still not get it mechanically right or OPTIMISED its a shame.

If we guys take a few years that is an achievement because of budget and availability of parts.

There is ONLY ONE, JEEP in USA, actively involved the JEEP owners and aftermarket parts manufacturers to help develop and decide on the JK Wrangler.

Regards,

Arka
Old 10th April 2010, 19:05   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Spikey my man, please educate us poor folks here. After all you are the most qualified engineer here
I have tried to explain the difference between these two tests in a separate thread. Please go through it and give your valuable comments.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1831553

Quote:
In todays world understanding a slalom or a multiple slalom or a elk test is just google material.
But still you havent figured out what is a slalom and multiple slalom (pun intended)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
If we guys take a few years that is an achievement because of budget and availability of parts.
But then in workshops you dont need to do any Work Motion Analysis (is the operator facing any difficulty in assembly, is there tool access, what is the work content, how much time to allot for each operation etc.). There is Work Study and Motion study involved before any vehicle/product is rolled through a production line. Please keep in mind this is not a Job production but a Batch production which follows specific product layouts. All these manufacturing feasibility needs to be taken care before final production and ramp up starts.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 10th April 2010 at 19:09.
Old 10th April 2010, 22:25   #1342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please post pics and driving experience of Bolero slx.4x4. Does it feel underpowered? It has de-rated engine. Iam really looking forward for pics and reviews.
Sorry for the late reply.

Am not a great one for pictures/ reviews etc.

I expect my Bolero to perform EXACTLY like my Armada Grand 4x4. i.e

a) Very underpowered. Even more so at high altitudes. But it will get you where you want to go - slowly.

b) The electrical Xfer case actuation is a confidence sapper. I have faced a failure once on the AG. And the A. S. S. Well, the less said, the better.

c) I expect the power steering to give trouble.

d) One thing not mentioned on any thread is that the XD3/ XDP is a very poor low temp starter. Though I have faced this problem only once (in Haa, which is not really very high, or cold), I am never confident that it will start the next morning. This also means I do not have the confidence of parking it for a couple of days in a really cold place. It will take you to your destination, but then becomes a ball and chain.

My Bolero is a BS2. I fail to see why one cannot have the combination of a modern turbo CRDI, 4x4, AC and PS. And very high on my wishlist would be safety (waaay ahead of diff locks, FFRA, winches etc);- of the crashworthiness type, rather than addons like air bags. IMO, the CJ series, or its derivatives, is one of the very worst vehicles in which to have a anything but minor collision. It is extremely hard on its occupants.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 11th April 2010, 08:57   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
IMO, the CJ series, or its derivatives, is one of the very worst vehicles in which to have a anything but minor collision. It is extremely hard on its occupants.
Not only occupants , but also on things around it.

No FRP bumpers, No inertia reel seatbelts, No collapsible steering etc etc.
Old 12th April 2010, 02:46   #1344
BHPian

Few photos of Mahindra Thar.
Honestly I like the color of this one! passion red.Looks quite aggressive.

It would be great if those FRP hardtops are available as OEM fitment.
I hope and pray that the on road price doesn't exceed 6.5L, with AC and PS, to consider this as my regular drive.

Photos are taken from the orkut Mahindra Thar community.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-z1jkwq7f.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-z3gjfki.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-zpkut5u.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-zyc0208.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-thar4.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-thar3.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-thar2.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-thar-1.jpg  

Last edited by conjon : 12th April 2010 at 02:52.
Old 12th April 2010, 10:05   #1345
BHPian

Woow I am in love..... haha. I had never ever seen a mahindra in this shade of red, my favorite colour. And by the looks of the B-pillar it seems a gypsy like roof is a certainty, cant wait for the official launch! And like many many others, fingers, toes and everything else crossed with regards to the price.
Old 12th April 2010, 10:43   #1346
Senior - BHPian

This is the exact 4919 replica, Passion red with black wheels!! More than anything else, Scorpio needs to get this shade back, will look lovely with the black lined headlamps. But then, this is not the Scorpio wish-list thread.
Old 12th April 2010, 10:49   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
This is the exact 4919 replica, Passion red with black wheels!!
Rightly pointed out! Its just the same color as BD Sir's BLL 4919 Fiat!

I was imagining how this Red Thar will look with all the additional fittings from the customization department!
Old 12th April 2010, 11:17   #1348
Distinguished - BHPian

So i finally got to drive the Thar off road.

Complete report of that OTR here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...r-ordered.html

Gogi, who drove it on road, has put up his view there.

There were 4 of us who drove the Thar through the obstacles.

Allan did a slush run.

rhandle and mohan did a climb

I did a rut and climb.

Now remember, i have not driven other jeeps. My comparison here will be to my Classic and to the Gypsy.

Initial Reaction:

Silent. Switch on the engine at the fist half crank and she purrs to life! Gear shifts are smooth and not long throws (as compared to the classic). The clutch is almost car like. This vehicle has already done 50,000kms in testing. It was not equipped with the MLD.

Raise the RPM and there is a small purr not a roar. No diesel clatter and no vibrations.

Travelling on dirt tracks is a boon. No bounce at all.

The rut that we did was not very pronounced so couldn't get the articulation into play. The rut was prepared by a JCB and there were rocks to dodge and climb over.

What my Jeep did in 2nd low and sometimes 1st low, the Thar did in 3rd low and without breaking into a sweat. And the power steering makes it all the more easy.

Next up a long incline.
Most of us had tackled that incline with our Jeeps with momentum in 2nd low. Rhandle was with me in the thar as a passenger and said lets try without momentum. So we go till the base of the incline and slot into 2nd low and go up. She makes it half way up before the wheels start spinning. I personally feel that with better tyres (these were balding) she could have gone all the way up.

Now to reverse down. This is where i found a problem. In my classic, i always got good steering feedback and always knew where my tyre is pointing. However, here i could not make out. I had to rely on others to tell me when it was straight. However, i will give it a benefit of doubt because this was my first time in the Thar and was not used to it.

We back down and just go 5 feet away from the start of the incline to get momentum. For my classic i was 10 feet away in 2nd low. Now i slot into 3rd low and launch. She goes up as a breeze and fast!! Right at the top of the incline there are stones. My classic would nicely hop over them. However, the thar bounced over like the gypsies usually do and it was jarring! It feels very light.

Oh yes, both the front and rear bumpers have broken during the negotiation of a trench.

Going down an incline now. I personally think that the crawl speed in the thar in 1st low is a little faster than the classic. However, the descent was no problem.

Brakes are good. Visibility is good.

Allan, mohan and rahul and add more.

On the way back i was following the thar and man can she fly. According to gogi there is NO body roll. The thar was easily keeping up with Viper's modified type R honda civic at speeds greater than 140 and at times overtaking the honda.

I don't have any pics, maybe others will post on the OTR thread.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 12th April 2010 at 11:20. Reason: typo
Old 12th April 2010, 11:23   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Wow, Tejas this is news to me, Thank you for the feedback. What is your final verdict?

Spike

P.S. Sad i couldn't make it to the OTR due to personal reasons.

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 12th April 2010 at 11:25.
Old 12th April 2010, 11:38   #1350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Wow, Tejas this is news to me, Thank you for the feedback. What is your final verdict?

Spike

P.S. Sad i couldn't make it to the OTR due to personal reasons.
Final Verdict?

I would have bought it, but i won't!

Why? If i hadn't bought the classic, maybe then yes i would definitely buy this. I'm too addicted to the SWB now. If they come out with the same package in the Cj340, then yes, i'll put my money down now.

And second honest opinion? Mahindra really diluted the Jeep look with all the other variants that they launched. The classic and CJ340 had it's own identity. As a lifestyle vehicle and to get a yuppy crowd to buy this, i don't know if it will work.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks