Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2010, 21:30   #1

Moving to India - MM Thar vs New Gypsy

Note from Mod : The Thar's full test & review has been uploaded at this link. Thread closed. Please continue the discussion over on the review thread.

Hi, i am moving to India for a couple of years from USA. I have been an offroad enthusiast forever, I have owned the excellent Jeep Wrangler straight six 4x4(TJ) and now am driving 2007 Toyota 4 runner sport 4x4. Unfortunately cannot bring my 4runner to India - hence looking at getting a regular vehicle(Innova probably) and one relatively cheap 4x4 - my two options as far as I can see - brand new - are the new upcoming Thar or a brand new Gypsy. It seems they will both fall in a similar price range(5-6lacs). I am leaning toward Thar -with the hardtop+AC so I can use it as a daily use vehicle as well.

Any suggestions?

BTW - this is my first post on team-bhp - I have been following this site for the last few months since I decided to move on an assignment to Mumbai and am really kean to meet some fellow team-bhpians in Mumbai.

AJ

Last edited by GTO : 5th January 2011 at 18:46. Reason: Adding link to review
Old 14th January 2010, 22:48   #2
BHPian

I won't go for Thar unless i have read some reviews about its performance and also would prefer Hard top AC version.
Price would be the biggest factor for selection between the two.BTW is there any conformed lauch date for Thar?

Amar
Old 14th January 2010, 23:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
I won't go for Thar unless i have read some reviews about its performance and also would prefer Hard top AC version.
Price would be the biggest factor for selection between the two.BTW is there any conformed lauch date for Thar?

Amar
From what I have read, it should be around Q2 2010.
Old 14th January 2010, 23:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

if you are a petrolhead go for Gypsy.

if you are fine with the clatter of the diesel engine then go for Thar.
Old 15th January 2010, 01:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Not heard much about the new Gypsy, however the MM Thar certainly seems to have caught attention of many. Not sure about the Diesel clatter under the new norms it should be pretty subtle.

Any Thread on the new Gypsy? Not able to find any!
Old 15th January 2010, 03:13   #6

sorry - what I meant was a brand new gypsy(as opposed to used) and not necessarily a newer model of gypsy.

AJ.
Old 15th January 2010, 04:25   #7
BHPian

ajdallas:
Go for Thar, its the best 4X4 in India atleast per spec. I am sure you will also have a better resale value after 2 years, if you plan to sell
Old 15th January 2010, 08:59   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

As parm pointed out. If you don't mind the petrol and can live with a mileage of about 10kmpl with petrol then gypsy is a good option as the price is very reasonable for a brand new vehicle with 4x4. The disadvantage is that it is bumpy due to leaf springs all around and light weight.

The Thar is diesel and will have good mileage. Also the ride will be better due to the IFS in the front and it is a lot more powerful than the gypsy which just about has enough power to keep it moving. You cannot even compare the torque numbers of both engines. The drawback is that most likely you will have to pay about 6 lakhs for the vehicle and do the hard top yourself or send it to mahindra customization for a hard top.

I feel you won't go wrong with either so end of the day it's you call keeping in mind the following
1) Off Road Capability (Tie or possibly in favour of Gypsy)
2) Fuel efficiency (Thar)
3) Ride comfort (Thar)
4) power/pick up (Thar all the way)
5) Availability (Thar is still a dream at this point)
6) Resale (My guess is Thar due to above mentioned reasons, but I could be wrong)
7) Price (Gypsy is more affordable and can be ordered new with hard top)
8) Maintenance costs (Gypsy maybe cheaper to maintain give it's old school petrol powertrain, no expensive deisel filter changes, etc..)
9) Gypsy engine is not BSIV compliant so you may not be able to register it in cities after the cut off date.
Old 15th January 2010, 09:10   #9
BHPian

Hi folks,

when you guys use the term new gypsy, do you guys mean

a newly purchased gypsy vehicle

or

a new model/version of the gypsy which is going to hit (or already hit ?) the market ??

The reason why I ask is, I am planning to buy a gypsy and if something new i coming up in the gypsy, I would like to consider that choice as well !
Old 15th January 2010, 09:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
if you are a petrolhead go for Gypsy.

if you are fine with the clatter of the diesel engine then go for Thar.
AJ, Parm,
This diesel does not clatter, take my word for it!
AJ, After you have been driving on I-20 and the tollway, back here both vehicles are capable of taking the Indian road situations. Had it been a choice between a Gypsy and 540/550, I would recommend a Gypsy.
THAR has completely changed the complexion and equation of the Indian 4X4 scene. It has a cruising advantage unlike its predecessors.
The giant leap in technology is what you have to keep in mind especially when the pricing is nearly the same.
Regards,
Old 15th January 2010, 10:24   #11
BHPian

I would prefer the Thar any day. The Gypsy just looks and feels so dated.

Saw the Thar at the Auto Expo, and it did look pretty awesome.
Old 15th January 2010, 10:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy4u View Post
Hi folks,
when you guys use the term new gypsy, do you guys mean
a newly purchased gypsy vehicle
or a new model/version of the gypsy which is going to hit (or already hit ?) the market ??
The reason why I ask is, I am planning to buy a gypsy and if something new i coming up in the gypsy, I would like to consider that choice as well !
Monkeyboy,
The reference to the new Gypsy here means, a brand new one from the show room.
There is no news of a Gypsy coming up with a newer version/ model engine or cosmetic wise, the latest one is with a MPFI and older one has a carburetor.
Regards,
Old 15th January 2010, 11:21   #13
BHPian

Thar in stock form is formidable enough !
The New Stock Gypsy will need altered gear ratios (Rock crawler), at a bare min. to make it as capable in off-road senarios.

Also driving style makes a B-I-G difference.

With the Thar you should be able to keep the pot boiling by just selecting the right gears. With the Gypsy you will need to have her singing like a Banshee on all gears to do the same terrain.

The light weight body and that screaming engine is precisely the reason why it has such a huge rally following.

See the difference !?

Last edited by Torque-ative : 15th January 2010 at 11:23.
Old 15th January 2010, 13:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Monkeyboy,
The reference to the new Gypsy here means, a brand new one from the show room.
There is no news of a Gypsy coming up with a newer version/ model engine or cosmetic wise, the latest one is with a MPFI and older one has a carburetor.
Regards,
Weren't there rumours of a new BS IV Gypsy ?? just wondering ?
Old 15th January 2010, 15:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy4u View Post
Weren't there rumours of a new BS IV Gypsy ?? just wondering ?
well the new Maruti will just reprogram the ECU to make the Gypsy BS4 Compliant.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks