Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 23:16   #1
BHPian

Restoration story of my jeep rattler

Hello Everyone,

I would like to share with you all, an ambitious jeep restoration story.

I am a die-hard Bulletier for the past 20 years. I love long distance rides on my bike solo or with friends. I do not own a four wheeler yet. The very thought of going in for a jeep as the first four wheeler might seem a little strange here. I found this jeep which is a 1984 Mahindra International 4WD, 3 speed and a long wheelbase one through a mere
co-incidence.

I was actually looking to upgrade my bike to a 500cc standard Bullet when the Jeep Bug bit me. It not only bit me hard, but also swallowed my craving for a Bullet 500cc along with it. My idea of having a Jeep is simple, I would be using it as my family vehicle for a travel not more than 50-60 kms. I am more than willing to drive it over a long distance say about 350 kms or so. Since its a long wheelbase jeep, ride quality should not be that bad I guess. I have read most of the Jeep Gurus in this forum still, against all odds, will be keeping this jeep as a family vehicle. It has a working 4WD and gears shifting smooth as Butter. Yes, you may ask why 4x4 then? Well, You know the answer. Nobody likes to own a Peep (As Mr. Arka would call it and I second his opinion) Since its a long wheelbase jeep, off-roading may be difficult but may not be totally over ruled. I will not be trying off-roading immediately. It will happen in due course with guidence from all Guru's on this forum.

This jeep was being used to ferry God's Idols during festivals like Navarathri etc, hence the top portion had been removed completely. There was a platform seated at the back of the jeep to mount the Idols during the processions. I was told that this jeep has been serving the Gods for the past 7-8 years this way! and, during the non festive season it remains parked near a garage in my town withering the all season weather! The very first day I saw this jeep with no wiring, no radiator and diesel tank cap and, was not started in the last 6 months. The owner of the jeep happens to be the owner of the garage said that the engine is in excellent condition and did not require heating to start. When this statement if his was challenged by one of my friends who was accompanying me, the owner of the jeep brought a battery from some other vehicle, connected it and just used a screw driver to short the starter terminals (not recommended though). To all our astonishment, jeep started at the very second crank, without a heater and, with 6 months old diesel that was in the tank without a tank lid. More surprising to me was that there was absolutely no trace of smoke be it black or white! The engine rumbled with the typical Inter signature sound and I was the happiest one to see him come alive!! I have absolutely no plans to touch the engine and gearbox combinations.

Before I take you all through the pictures let me tell you that the jeep has done approximately 10k on the Odo after the engine overhauling. The total mileage is not known though, should be close to 175k. So, there was no engine work needed, gear box and the transfer case is in excellent condition (the 4WD was not being used and it was disconnected). The body of the jeep needed extensive surgery I thought. The chassis were in good condition so sand blasting was overruled. The Mechanic did not suggest me to get the anti rust treatment done. The rust on the body except certain places seemed to be only surface rust. I must admit that the gauge of the metal is real thick.

All the pictures are taken from my cell phone camera. Please bear with the picture quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration story of my jeep rattler-1.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-2.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-3.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-4.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-5.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-6.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-7.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th January 2010 at 23:19. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors and use Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks
Old 18th January 2010, 23:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nobody likes to own a Peep (As Mr. Arka would call it and I second his opinion)

Come on load the rest of the photos up so we can see what your Jeep looks like now.
Old 18th January 2010, 23:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the buy MR. rattler , Kudos to you.

Nowa days many people are getting bit by the Jeep bug after reading and seeing Jeep restoration stories in TBHP , the same thing happened to you and me.

You showed the guts to do it , i really appreciate it

You are very lucky to own a Gods Chariot.

While restoring , instead of trying to patch the tub , you can go and get a brand new Tub.

Are you planning to get a power steering ?

Are you planning to increace the wheel base ?

Are you planning to shorten the chase length ?

I will be glued to this thread.

Kudos !!
Old 18th January 2010, 23:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post

Come on load the rest of the photos up so we can see what your Jeep looks like now.
Thank you so much Bigman, the restoration took abput 6 1/2 months now and the jeep is near complete. I will post a few more pictures soon.

Best regards,

Sudhir.
Old 18th January 2010, 23:49   #5
BHPian

Congrats Rattler.. You are now a JEEP Owner. must be a proud feeling.

Chassis looks clean in 2nd last shots, however since you are into restoring it, better go with scrapping all the rust off & paint it with some new weather resistant paint. As it has a C-Section chassis, there wont be any difficulty cleaning & painting it. same goes for body.

(I am not sure if you have already done the changes , coz the date on the pics shows June-09 so the jeep must be ready by now then)
If not, next thing you can do is change the tires, check for the leafs & shocks. as you have already mentioned about the engine, then better stick with it w/o any changes.

All the Best with restoration.
Old 19th January 2010, 00:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post

More pictures on their way Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Congrats Rattler.. You are now a JEEP Owner. must be a proud feeling.

Chassis looks clean in 2nd last shots, however since you are into restoring it, better go with scrapping all the rust off & paint it with some new weather resistant paint. As it has a C-Section chassis, there wont be any difficulty cleaning & painting it. same goes for body.
-----------
All the Best with restoration.
Thank you Sir for your suggestions. I am afraid its too late now to adopt your suggestion, yes, the jeep is almost ready and the rusting is taken care of to the average extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Congrats for the buy MR. rattler , Kudos to you.

Nowa days many people are getting bit by the Jeep bug after reading and seeing Jeep restoration stories in TBHP , the same thing happened to you and me.
---------------------------
I will be glued to this thread.

Kudos !!
Thank you so much for your support and good wishes. It has been 6 months now since the restoration started and the jeep is near complete. I had no plans to divert from stock condition.
Best regards,

Sudhir.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th January 2010 at 00:18. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large posts in reply, Thanks
Old 19th January 2010, 00:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Rattler. I too have a 1982 LWB Jeep (or Peep) with the Inter engine and 3 speed gearbox. It was a 4x4 but the previous owner removed it. I have to install that again. You can find the pics in this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...army-jeep.html

Waiting for the rest of your pics.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 19th January 2010 at 00:11.
Old 19th January 2010, 00:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Congrats Rattler. I too have a 1982 LWB Jeep (or Peep) with the Inter engine and 3 speed gearbox. It was a 4x4 but the previous owner removed it. I have to install that again. You can find the pics in this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...army-jeep.html

Waiting for the rest of your pics.
Thank you BlackPearl for your comment. Dont call your jeep a peep, you can always install the 4WD anytime. By the way, I have seen your white jeep about 3-4 months back itself. I am going through each and every thread on this topic.

Best regards,

Sudhir.

I am back with more pictures. Please note that this jeep is being restored to be used as a family vehicle so, I have got a few alterations done enabling the front and rear passengers an easy ingress and egress.

Over to pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration story of my jeep rattler-8.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-9.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-10.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-11.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-12.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-13.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-14.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-16.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-17.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th January 2010 at 00:35. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) or EDIT the original post instead. Thanks
Old 19th January 2010, 14:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
the restoration took abput 6 1/2 months now and the jeep is near complete. I will post a few more pictures soon.

Best regards,

Sudhir.
feels good to hear it is nearing restoration completion .
Any specific issues that the restoration neared 6 odd months ?
Old 19th January 2010, 15:27   #10
BHPian

Hi JD,
The reason behind the long restoration period is none other than the man power issue. It is so common in this part of the state and one has to really have loads of patience to pursue his/her project.

Best regards,

Sudhir.
Old 19th January 2010, 15:43   #11
BHPian

Hi,
I am back with a few more pictures of my Jeep. The long side panels of the jeep gave me just enough space to provide a door on the left hand side for the rear passengers. With a long running board and front facing bench seat at the rear, passengers will not have to struggle during ingress and egress.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration story of my jeep rattler-18.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-19.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-20.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-21.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-22.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-23.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-24.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-25.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-26.jpg  

Restoration story of my jeep rattler-27.jpg  

Old 19th January 2010, 16:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Somehow I think the bull bars mar the beauty of the CJ front.
Old 19th January 2010, 16:45   #13
BHPian

Hey Rattler,

That's a good paint job and I must say you have a good taste. Is this a 650 or 750 DI? Please share the cost breakdown involved with vehicle purchase, painting, soft top etc.

Regards

Pranav
Old 19th January 2010, 17:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Wow, a pretty rare model I say. It is not a CJ500. Tooo long for a MWB. What is this model guys? Looks more on the 650/750 category. Nice job on the restoration...

Which place in KA is this?
Old 19th January 2010, 23:30   #15
BHPian

Hi Beejay,
Thank you for your opinion. I just thought that the Bull bar with body colored paint would look okay. Of course, the long wheelbase jeep looks still longer!! I am going to fix two large head light domes, sourced from an old 1210 D truck. Probably they will be peeping through the Bull bar windows!!

Best Regards,
Sudhir.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks