Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2010, 20:57   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcererenator View Post
ntomer, can u PM the number of the guy u got it insured from? I tried Chola and learnt they dont insure vehicles older than 7yrs. thanks
Thats crap.
I got my CJ3B 1985, MM550 2000 model insured and no issues!!!
Only the premium is a little high, about 3k's approx, but it can be insures.
Try New India! I am sure that they'll do it
Old 20th April 2010, 17:56   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcererenator View Post
ntomer, can u PM the number of the guy u got it insured from? I tried Chola and learnt they dont insure vehicles older than 7yrs. thanks
Buddy, I've got it insured in my home town, not in Delhi :-(

\N
Old 20th April 2010, 21:44   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Mods: I have mentioned earlier as well, that the engine check light was blinking ever since I bought the Gypsy.

Now came the twist, it turned out that the wiring in my Gypsy didn't have a socket to connect to the Bosch diagnostic equipment. I checked the wiring thoroughly and found that the wiring behind the dashboard was built by Motherson, I have it's part number too, which I will post by evening. In all probability either the wiring was not for MPFI and retro-fitted, or the above mentioned socket was broken.

After all this, I observed the engine check light seriously and found that it is blinking on 1-2 pattern, indicating normal behavior.

Now I am in a real dilemma, I really don't know what to do.

Nitin
My 2 cents

The top light is orange. It is emission control failure light. You can check this in your original car handbook.

If the car is handling well and you do not feel anything amiss, pl check the following.

1. Open fuse box
2. Please see if there is any fuse in the bottom right hand corner fuse slot. It is marked as diagnostic.
3. Please remove any fuse in this slot. It is supposed to be empty. The fuse is only inserted when the car is attached to the laptop for diagnostic work.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 20th April 2010 at 21:46.
Old 21st April 2010, 12:19   #79
BHPian

Hi,

I need to replace the radiator of my King. I and thinking of going for a 3 core copper one, since that will also help while going for AC install.

Is there any particular brand for radiators, or will I have to retrofit one made for some other car (like contessa or 118 NE). And where in Delhi can I buy/fit a custom radiator?

Please help.

Nitin
Old 21st April 2010, 12:20   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
My 2 cents

The top light is orange. It is emission control failure light. You can check this in your original car handbook.

If the car is handling well and you do not feel anything amiss, pl check the following.

1. Open fuse box
2. Please see if there is any fuse in the bottom right hand corner fuse slot. It is marked as diagnostic.
3. Please remove any fuse in this slot. It is supposed to be empty. The fuse is only inserted when the car is attached to the laptop for diagnostic work.
Buddy, this will only cure the symptom, the disease would still remain :-(

Nitin
Old 22nd April 2010, 01:14   #81
BHPian

Dear Nitin,

This slot is supposed to empty by design.

You are supposed to leave it without any fuse it in.

Woh slot khaali hona chahiye.

Desi electricians fill all the slots.

Please check the diagram on the fuse cover. EVEN THE AMPS FOR THAT SLOT ARE NOT MENTIONED.

Only agency guys are supposed to put a fuse in it only for the time they are running diagnostics.
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:16   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
Dear Nitin,

This slot is supposed to empty by design.

You are supposed to leave it without any fuse it in.

Woh slot khaali hona chahiye.

Desi electricians fill all the slots.

Please check the diagram on the fuse cover. EVEN THE AMPS FOR THAT SLOT ARE NOT MENTIONED.

Only agency guys are supposed to put a fuse in it only for the time they are running diagnostics.
Yes buddy, you are right. Only service center guys put a fuse in that slot. But they do that to diagnose the problem. If there is no problem then the pattern of light is blink once-gap-blink twice. But if there is some problem, the pattern is different - in my case it is blink once-gap-blink six times: implying some problem with speed sensor.

Therefore only removing the fuse will not solve the problem :-)

Nitin
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:29   #83
BANNED

have you tried removing the fuse?
Old 29th April 2010, 06:36   #84
BHPian

An update -

At MSM-OKhla, the electrician removed the fuse but the MIL was still blinking. He did something, it went off but came back again. Now his diagnosis is that it is due to some problem with the meter console, and he is replacing that.

Somehow I am not convinced that a faulty meter will result in blinking MIL; but have decided to let him try that.

P.S. In the end, I went for Maruti radiator itself. It cost 3K so even if I have to replace it in future for AC installation, it won't be a bog loss.

Nitin
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:47   #85
BHPian

Quote:
When I was driving back from Mayapuri to home, I noticed that vehicle was making a lot of noise, although there were no major vibrations in body or gear lever, the 4*4 lever was shuddering like crazy. And these were hard shudders, not vibrations.

I slotted it to 4H and 4L (without moving the vehicle) and then again 2H so that if something was stuck somewhere, it can be corrected but it didn't help all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
first of all, does your gypsy has a proper working 4x4 or the front axle has been disengaged by the mayapuri dealer?

you have to check both the shafts connected to the front and the rear axles respectively, because these hard shudders are coming from the shafts being not connected properly.

get it inspected by a MASS with a proper gyspy experienced mechanic.
As I have said earlier, the vehicle is being serviced at MSM, Okhla. Today I went for a road-test with the SA. There was noticeable difference in pick-up, brakes and handling. But the 4*4 lever was still vibrating like crazy.

I asked the SA why it isn't rectified and he told me that all Gypsies have this problem. I asked him whether he has checked all drive-shafts and he replied in positive.

Please tell me whether he is alright, or if not, what can be the possible reason for this hard shuddering.

Nitin
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:48   #86
BHPian

Quote:
An update -

At MSM-OKhla, the electrician removed the fuse but the MIL was still blinking. He did something, it went off but came back again. Now his diagnosis is that it is due to some problem with the meter console, and he is replacing that.

Somehow I am not convinced that a faulty meter will result in blinking MIL; but have decided to let him try that.
Surprisingly, the problem was with the meter and the light had stopped blinking after they changed it.

And now, the odometer reads 13 KM :-)

Nitin
Old 4th May 2010, 15:32   #87
BHPian

Not sure but check the tranfer case bolts and the joints at the bottom of the 4wd lever.

Is the shaft from the GB to the T-case connected correctly?

Cheers
Ankit
Old 4th May 2010, 16:08   #88
BHPian

Hey Nitin congrats on your Gypsy.
Hope its working real well.

Cheers Randeep
Old 12th May 2010, 13:09   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I am no expert in vehicle electrics but would for sure suggest that you get it diagnosed and get to the root of this problem.

I am assuming that you have tried disconnecting the battery wires to see if the reset works. In normal circumstances, the ECL should not be blinking and better get it checked.

However, you could get in touch with folks like gotzuk and others in NCR for their inputs on the next steps.
Khan saab,

The wiring in my Gypsy doesn't have a OBD scanner coupler; and even Maruti doesn't have new wiring harnesses in stock. According to Maruti Service Masters guys it can take anywhere up to 1 month to source that.

And they also tell me that I can drive the Gypsy till then without any worry. It won't affect anything. What is your take on that?

Nitin
Old 18th May 2010, 15:03   #90
BHPian

I got all three wiring harnesses in my Gypsy changed. Hopefully today I will be getting the delivery of my Gypsy after more than a month.

In this one month MSM had replaced the following parts -

1. Starter motor
2. Radiator
3. All shock absorbers; and assorted parts
4. Master brake cylinders; and cylinders for individual wheels (I don't know what it is?).
5. Dashboard
6. Steering
7. All Window glass rubbers
8. All three wiring harnesses

The total damages till now 50K. And finally the MIL had stopped blinking :-)

Now only one problem remains; the ECM is still not giving earth (which is required to supply fuel) and the electrician had again given the ignition earth from body. When I asked him whether it will create any problem, he told me to drive it as long as it does and then we'll see - not a very confidence inspiring answer.

When I asked him for a permanent solution he asked me to change ECM and when I asked him for a cheaper solution, he told me that he can get the ECM repaired for 2-2.5K from outside.

Please suggest whether it'll be alright? And suggest some good ECM technician in Delhi who can repair it.

Nitin

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks