Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 11:55   #106
BHPian

I got the ECM repaired by Mr. Shaan Ansari (Karamoura) for 2200. According to him, it was a minor problem, and after repair ECM is as good as new. But I will first drive the Gypsy for a couple of thousand KMs, and then only will believe him.

Last week-end I drove the Gypsy to my home town to get a few things done. To go there, I take the NH 24 upto Hapur, which is an excellant road. I managed to reach 115 KMPH easily, and Gypsy had a little juice still left. But I didn't feel very confidant in it's handling abilities and didn't push further :-)

In home-town, I got the following done -

1. Heatlon - On the floor, on both sides of wall separating engine and passenger compartments and under the bonnet

2. 2 inches high density foam on seats

3. Replaced wiper link assembly, wiper arms and blades

4. Water-proofing treatment - Silicon gel on the gaps in hard-top. There was a leak under the bonnet to, got that closed as well.

5. Replaced a few rubbers

Now Gypsy is in my home town for a final round of rubbing and polish, which will be done by this week. This will complete the first round of repairs and restoration. Now the only thing immediately required is AC, which I will get fitted soon.

But I am scared of any electrical changes now. I've replaced the complete wiring harnesses and also got the ECM repaired, I do not want the AC installation to screw it up. Please suggest, how can I ensure this.

Same about ICE - I have a head unit lying around, which I want to fit in the Gypsy. I talked to a couple of installers, who confirmed that the new wiring does have connections for HU; and no wiring will be cut. But I do not have faith in those installers to do a competent job. Please suggest a decent installer in or around Noida, who can do a competent job without ruining the electricals.

I hope to finish all this in a couple of weeks, and make my Gypsy as family ready as it can ever be :-)

Nitin
Old 8th June 2010, 12:33   #107
BHPian

Hi,

I had a sudden brain-wave. As I told earlier, I have a HU lying around, a Sony CDX-7710 (Sony eSupport - CDX-F7710 - Model Home). It is a decent HU, which I bought for 16K in 2005 for my Getz. I replaced it last year with another Sony, which has pen-drive support.

Earlier I was planning to put this HU and new speakers. But then I remembered that I also have some home theater speakers lying around. In 99, I had bought an Akai music player (which can play only audio and video CDs) for some astronomical sum. The system had been defunct since long, but it's speakers still work. The PMPO for this system was 800 watts, and the speakers are in nice wooden enclosures. I plan to use these as rear speakers.

I had also bought a Philips wOOx home audio system i 2002 for an equally high amount, this came with four speakers. Two main speakers and two satellite ones. Satellite speakers are means to be put in front to create a surround sound effect. This music system still work, but I have never used the satellite speakers. I plan to use these as front speakers.

I am not looking for high SQ; the idea is to have passable music in the Gypsy. So please tell me whether it'll work. And a decent installer in/around Noida who can do it.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 10th June 2010, 18:53   #108
BHPian

Look at the impedance (ohms) rating for the speakers. It should match that of the HU. Usually, HUs are set for 4 ohms per channel. Ideally, you should match it with that of the speakers. If the ohms rating of speaker is less than that of HU, then the HU amp will have to supply higher current, which might damage it. I guess higher impedance speakers shouldn't be an issue, but one of the ICE-gurus would know better.

Most home theatre systems have 3 ohm speakers.

Last edited by vivekgk : 10th June 2010 at 18:56. Reason: typo
Old 8th July 2010, 09:38   #109
BHPian

Here are a couple of pics of my Gypsy -
Attached Thumbnails
MPFI Gypsy King bought from Mayapuri-file1.jpg  

MPFI Gypsy King bought from Mayapuri-file2.jpg  

ntomer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2010, 17:05   #110
BHPian

Hi Nitin

Congrats! Finally you are enjoying your Gypsy.

BTW what was the complete expense so far all inclusive?

Cheers
Ankit
Old 8th July 2010, 18:13   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Hi Nitin

Congrats! Finally you are enjoying your Gypsy.

BTW what was the complete expense so far all inclusive?

Cheers
Ankit
Thanx buddy.

3.3 lakh and counting. And AC is yet to be fitted.

But I am a happy man, very satisfied with my ride.

Nitin
Old 8th July 2010, 18:20   #112
BHPian

Hi Nitin,

Please get the Hard Top painted pronto. It doesn't gel well with a great vehicle that you have. Just my opinion . Maybe a black top would look cool.

Regards,
Zorro4X4
Old 10th July 2010, 17:22   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro4X4 View Post
Hi Nitin,

Please get the Hard Top painted pronto. It doesn't gel well with a great vehicle that you have. Just my opinion . Maybe a black top would look cool.

Regards,
Zorro4X4
The hard-top is result of remote-management. I was in Delhi whereas the work was going on in my home-town. And somehow the painter mis-understood matte-black as this stupid shade of yellow. And by the time I came to know about it, I had spent too much time and money on it and wanted to drive it. So decided to live with it, for now.

Repainting the hard-top in matte black is very much on the cards, I will get it done once I get some free time.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 10th April 2011, 23:37   #114
BHPian

Re: MPFI Gypsy King bought from Mayapuri

Hi congrats on your purchase. I hope the gypsy won't give you much trouble.
As for the pricing, i think its reasonable as nobody is willing to sell off a good gypsy. I also got one ex army gypsy from Sirsa almost a year back, and let me tell you, its not reliable a bit. i just got its engines done and it under supervision. I too shelled 1.8k for it and its not even an MPFI. But if u intend to take your gypsy to remote places, then you better have an carburettor one, if its an old gypsy, every mechanic knows it.

I am fond of travelling to remote places and have done leh and spiti on bike, now wanted to do it on my Gypsy but the reliability factor isn't allowing me.
Attached Thumbnails
MPFI Gypsy King bought from Mayapuri-dsc05752.jpg  

MPFI Gypsy King bought from Mayapuri-dsc00605.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th April 2011 at 23:53. Reason: Please use proper punctuation instead of... and type in full. Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 12:24   #115
BHPian

Hi,

I recently did a Leh trip in my Gypsy and it performed remarkably well. On Zojila where Scorpios were rolling back the steep ascent and a Safari had it's hood open, Gypsy made it in one go in 4H :-) And on the 10 days trip, Gypsy required no work, not even a puncture.

Now I want to remove the hard top and use soft top for some time. Any idea how much the soft top, the pipes on which it rests and two rear benches will cost in Mayapuri? And can I remove the hard top myself and fit the soft top, or would it require a tinker? Because I will be doing it very frequently.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 25th July 2011, 12:31   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
.And can I remove the hard top myself and fit the soft top, or would it require a tinker? Because I will be doing it very frequently.
Atleast 2 people are required to take it off and keep on ground. It can be done in 20-30 minutes max.

But I have heard that frequent taking off and putting the hard top back will lead to rattles and issues.
Old 25th July 2011, 12:36   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Atleast 2 people are required to take it off and keep on ground. It can be done in 20-30 minutes max.

But I have heard that frequent taking off and putting the hard top back will lead to rattles and issues.
Hmmm... It already rattles a lot. Can't get any worse :-))

I live in an apartment and do not have a covered parking for Gypsy. Therefore hard-top is required here. But in home town, we have space to park the Gypsy, and park the hard top. So I was thinking of removing the hard top for the winter months and experience that air in the hair feeling :-)

\N
Old 25th July 2011, 16:16   #118
BHPian

Hello ntomer,
Congrats on your Gypsy King. I am sure that you must be having loads of fun with it. In one of your posts you mentioned that you have replaced the old radiator with a Maruti radiator. Could you please let me know which model radiator you replaced it with.
Thanks a ton,
Regards,
Ashok
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:16   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
Hello ntomer,
Congrats on your Gypsy King. I am sure that you must be having loads of fun with it. In one of your posts you mentioned that you have replaced the old radiator with a Maruti radiator. Could you please let me know which model radiator you replaced it with.
Thanks a ton,
Regards,
Ashok
Hi Ashok,

Sorry for the late reply buddy. I was traveling and didn't have access to service bills.

The part number of radiator is 17700M83112 and it costs 2783.66. Hope this helps.

Regards

Nitin
ntomer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 00:56   #120
BHPian

hey Nitin, when u remove the hard top, use a bikini top instead. i guess interchanging the tops 2-3 times a year shouldn't be much a problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks