Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 09:16   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Bump...

Hey guys, please help out. Where should I take the Gypsy - Motorcraft or MSM Okhla. Today I visited MSM and though they tried to show confidence in servicing a Gypsy, they didn't have any spares.

I also went to MAGP, Okhla for spares but even they didn't have any and needed at least a week's time to procure something :-(

I have already lost more than 4 weeks in registration, please help me out in expediting the rest of work.

Nitin
Go to MGP gurgaon, behind 32 miles. I have purchased all my gypsy's parts from there & they have most of the parts. A few of the parts which they don't have they arranged in two days.
Old 26th February 2010, 14:42   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungeek View Post
Go to MGP gurgaon, behind 32 miles. I have purchased all my gypsy's parts from there & they have most of the parts. A few of the parts which they don't have they arranged in two days.
Thanks for the suggestion buddy. But Gurgaon will be too far for me. I am looking for some place in Ghaziabad/Noida/Okhla.

\N
Old 4th March 2010, 22:35   #48
BHPian

Hi,

When I bought the Gypsy, it's front propeller shaft wasn't connected; dealer assured me that 4x4 is working and police/army usually remove this shaft.

I checked the 4X4 lever and it was slotting properly in place, and when it was in neutral, vehicle wou;dn't move, no matter what gear it was it. I concluded that 4x4 is working alright and bought the vehicle.

But now I am apprehensive. Please tell me apart from fitting the propeller shaft, what else needs to be done. If 4x4 neutral is working, I assume the 4x4 transfer case will be alright?

Do I need to service the front differential as well? Please advice.

Nitin
Old 4th March 2010, 23:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

Might as well service the front differential then fit the shaft and enjoy the 4x4 capability.

My 550 was also missing the front shaft so it is nothing to worry about.
Old 5th March 2010, 10:04   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

When I bought the Gypsy, it's front propeller shaft wasn't connected; dealer assured me that 4x4 is working and police/army usually remove this shaft.

I checked the 4X4 lever and it was slotting properly in place, and when it was in neutral, vehicle wou;dn't move, no matter what gear it was it. I concluded that 4x4 is working alright and bought the vehicle.

But now I am apprehensive. Please tell me apart from fitting the propeller shaft, what else needs to be done. If 4x4 neutral is working, I assume the 4x4 transfer case will be alright?

Do I need to service the front differential as well? Please advice.

Nitin
Nitin
Please get a full service done of your front axle.
When I got my gypsy, i had also got the front drive shaft a week after the gypsy. when I fitted it it didn't feel "right".
When I opened the diff for changing oil i found grease in it. The oil seals for the drive shaft (located within the axle) had got spoilt and the grease from the knuckles had "migrated" to the diff.
I ended up opening the diff and cleaning it completely.
This is not an expensive affair (only about 2-3K - incl oil seal kit and knuckle repair parts) but is definitely worth it as it will give you peace of mind.

Cheers
GB

Last edited by Gypsy-Boy : 5th March 2010 at 10:05. Reason: info added
Old 6th March 2010, 09:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hey Nitin
What happened about the pictures buddy!
You are keeping it under the wraps like a new bride!!! Post some pictures buddy till now I am sure that you must have clicked loads of them

Further did you decide on the tyres?? What will it be BFG or Yokos and what size

Further as Satam & GypsyBoy have already said get the full service done of the front and the rear diff's. Additionally it should be cheked that there are no chip-off or damage to the teeth of the Gears (Ring, spider, Pinion etc). Not that these things get damaged easily but as it is you are doing the complete overhaul of the vehicle and this might take a little time/ money extra but will give you satisfaction in the years to come. I did it in my MM550
The following diagram might help
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
MPFI Gypsy King bought from Mayapuri-differential-diagram.jpg  

Old 6th March 2010, 09:38   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Nitin
What happened about the pictures buddy!
You are keeping it under the wraps like a new bride!!! Post some pictures buddy till now I am sure that you must have clicked loads of them
Ah.. Harjeev buddy. I haven't really clicked any :-( I sent the Gypsy to home town the same day I bought it, and didn't go there for 15 days. And when I eventually went there, the registration issue was boiling and pics was the last thing I had in mind.

Now the Gypsy is in the final stages of painting and it should be over by Tuesday/Wednesday. Today I am going to deliver few spares there, so that these can be fitted by next week-end and I can drive it home. Today I am definitely gonna click a few pics.

Quote:
Further did you decide on the tyres?? What will it be BFG or Yokos and what size
I am still tilting towards Yokos due to the comfort factor; and after going through Sawyer's thread I may opt for 205/70/R15. These won't be as good-looking as 215/75 ones, but driveability will be better.

Quote:
Further as Satam & GypsyBoy have already said get the full service done of the front and the rear diff's. Additionally it should be cheked that there are no chip-off or damage to the teeth of the Gears (Ring, spider, Pinion etc). Not that these things get damaged easily but as it is you are doing the complete overhaul of the vehicle and this might take a little time/ money extra but will give you satisfaction in the years to come. I did it in my MM550
Yes, I will definitely get these services. I have still not decided where to get it serviced through. MSM Okhla is very close to my office (2 KMs) and it will be very easy for me to monitor it there. Whereas Motorcraft, Sahibabad though close to my home, is very far from my office; and I won't be able to monitor the progress there on week-days. But you guys rate Rahul very high so that is also a factor.

I will get the Gypsy here by next week-end, so have another week to decide.

And I have dropped the idea of AC for the time being after reading many bad experiences people had. Once the process is stream-lined, only then I will go for it. And dropped the idea of CFLs altogether. Now I will opt for Monroe shocks sometime in future.

BTW, I plan to do the following things during service, please suggest if I am missing something -

1. Radiator flush
2. Engine flush
3. Engine de-carbonisation
4. Brakes overhaul
5. Axle service

Pics definitely by tonight :-)

Cheers

Nitin

Last edited by v12 : 7th March 2010 at 15:22. Reason: Fixing Quotes
Old 7th March 2010, 19:40   #53
BHPian

Here are a few pics of my Gypsy. It is undergoing painting right now and is primed for final rounds. I have opted for white for body and off-white for hood. Hood and inside has been painted, and body will be painted in a couple of more days. After that 2-3 days for interiors; so hopefully by next week, I will be able to bring it to Delhi and final round of work will begin.

\N
Attached Thumbnails
MPFI Gypsy King bought from Mayapuri-side-profile.jpg  

MPFI Gypsy King bought from Mayapuri-inside.jpg  

MPFI Gypsy King bought from Mayapuri-engine-bay.jpg  

ntomer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2010, 20:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Great to finally see some pictures of your Zuki!!!

BTW what are you planning to get done at Delhi and have you finalised a garage as yet?
Also are you planning to change the wiring harness too?

I asked you a question on another thread that what does GAPL stand for? and what is the location??

Please post some pictures of the gypsy in the condition you bought it in
Old 7th March 2010, 22:32   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Great to finally see some pictures of your Zuki!!!

BTW what are you planning to get done at Delhi and have you finalised a garage as yet?
Also are you planning to change the wiring harness too?

I asked you a question on another thread that what does GAPL stand for? and what is the location??

Please post some pictures of the gypsy in the condition you bought it in
Nope, not finalized the garage yet :-( It'll be either MSM, Okhla or Motorcraft, Sahibabad (Rahul works here, no?). I am not yet planning to chnage wiring yet, since my home town mechanic told me it's in good condition. Is there any way, I can check it myself?

I have replied to the GAPL question on that thread, please check.

I don't have any other pics of Gypsy. The day I bought it, we reached home at 1:00 AM, and I sent it to home town immediately. And by the time I went there, the denting was in full swing and all paint had been scrapped off :-(

\N
Old 8th March 2010, 21:58   #56
BHPian

Got my Gypsy comprehensively insured for 2.8L. It must be one of the very few auction vehicles to be comprehensively insured :-)

\N
Old 8th March 2010, 22:26   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hey how and from which insurance company did you get it done.

I could only get a maximum of 1.5 for my 2004 MPFI.
Old 8th March 2010, 22:37   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Hey how and from which insurance company did you get it done.

I could only get a maximum of 1.5 for my 2004 MPFI.
From a public general insurance company; in my home town :-)

\N
Old 15th March 2010, 15:42   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Harjeev Bhai,

I got the full service done for front and rear axles, but my home-town mechanic didn't service the differentials. He said that there is nothing to service in the differential, only the oil has to be topped.

Do you recommend that I get it done from MSM, or do you recommend any other place?

Cheers

Nitin
Old 15th March 2010, 15:56   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.....He said that there is nothing to service in the differential, only the oil has to be topped....
That's pure BS. It's a time consuming task for him hence this BS from him. Usually no service is required in the routine running but for your peace of mind, get the diff & axles opened and cleaned and then put back with all new fluids.

The rear diff + axle opening/cleaning & putting back should take 2-3 hours and the front one ~1/2 day. So it's kind of 1 full day work.

Most Viewed