Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 16:05   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
That's pure BS. It's a time consuming task for him hence this BS from him. Usually no service is required in the routine running but for your peace of mind, get the diff & axles opened and cleaned and then put back with all new fluids.

The rear diff + axle opening/cleaning & putting back should take 2-3 hours and the front one ~1/2 day. So it's kind of 1 full day work.
I suspected the same :-) I have done this for both the axles (opening, cleaning, greasing, replacing parts wherever required and putting back for both axles - front and rear). Now I will have to get it done for differential as well, and since he is not very keen on doing it, I won't leave it to him.

Delhi Gypsy gang, can I trust Motorcraft (Rahul) to do it?

Nitin
Old 15th March 2010, 16:29   #62
BHPian

Mods: I didn't post this in the last post, because it is an entirely different topic. If you feel otherwise, please merge it with earlier post.

I spent the last week-end in my home town getting the Gypsy serviced. I have mentioned earlier as well, that the engine check light was blinking ever since I bought the Gypsy, so I asked my mechanic (Bosch authorized one, he has the necessary equipment to check).

Now came the twist, it turned out that the wiring in my Gypsy didn't have a socket to connect to the Bosch diagnostic equipment. I checked the wiring thoroughly and found that the wiring behind the dashboard was built by Motherson, I have it's part number too, which I will post by evening. In all probability either the wiring was not for MPFI and retro-fitted, or the above mentioned socket was broken.

After this, the electrician told me something else, in his own words - "ECM isn't giving earth, therefore ignition is not working. To make it work, I've connected the ignition earth wire to body earth wire and it's working fine now. And will not create any problems".

I understood what he said, but don't know whether this is an acceptable situation? Can this create any problems in future?

After all this, I observed the engine check light seriously and found that it is blinking on 1-2 pattern, indicating normal behavior.

Now I am in a real dilemma, I really don't know what to do. I have the following options -

1. Leave everything as it is. The ECL is blinking, but it is indicating normal behavior so that should not be a problem.

2. Go to a MASS (MSM?) and ask them to diagnose all electrical. Logically they should change only Harness Assembly, Wiring No. 1; which costs Rs. 1691/- But they might decide to change the whole wiring as well, and that will set me back by Rs. 7500/-
Also I don't think they'll repair the ECM, or do this kinad jugaad, they'll ask me to replace it. Which will mean expense of Rs. 17,378/-
As of now, my expenses on the Gypsy have far exceeded my estimates and I won't be comfortable in spending so much more. And I don't know what other sensors, the might ask me to replace?

3. Go to Motorcraft (I know they are also a MASS, but I guess they will be less rigid than MSM) and work with them on resolving this issue.

Please tell me gurus, what to do about it?

Cheers

Nitin
Old 15th March 2010, 16:35   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Got my Gypsy comprehensively insured for 2.8L. It must be one of the very few auction vehicles to be comprehensively insured :-)

\N
How much did you pay for your insurance?

Cheers,
Old 15th March 2010, 16:42   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
How much did you pay for your insurance?

Cheers,
9000 odd.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 15th March 2010, 16:59   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....found that it is blinking on 1-2 pattern, indicating normal behavior.

Now I am in a real dilemma, I really don't know what to do. I have the following options -

1. Leave everything as it is. The ECL is blinking, but it is indicating normal behavior so that should not be a problem.

2. Go to a MASS (MSM?) and ask them to diagnose all electrica....
I am no expert in vehicle electrics but would for sure suggest that you get it diagnosed and get to the root of this problem.

I am assuming that you have tried disconnecting the battery wires to see if the reset works. In normal circumstances, the ECL should not be blinking and better get it checked.

However, you could get in touch with folks like gotzuk and others in NCR for their inputs on the next steps.
Old 15th March 2010, 19:31   #66
Team-BHP Support

Its better you get it checked by a proper mass, it might need a different scanner and hence the different socket. Dont risk it since you never know whats really wrong and you dont want to fiddle around with a thing like ECU
Old 15th March 2010, 19:42   #67
Senior - BHPian

it is better you go to a MASS, get the error code checked by a diagnostic tool, BTW what kind of lamp is glowing in the cluster? is it a MIL or Engine check lamp?

Spike
Old 15th March 2010, 22:10   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Its better you get it checked by a proper mass, it might need a different scanner and hence the different socket. Dont risk it since you never know whats really wrong and you dont want to fiddle around with a thing like ECU
That Bosch guy checks all kind of cars with that scanner. As far as I know it's a universal scanner and my Gypsy' wiring harness doesn't have that socket. But anyways I'll be taking it to MASS; let's see how it goes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
it is better you go to a MASS, get the error code checked by a diagnostic tool, BTW what kind of lamp is glowing in the cluster? is it a MIL or Engine check lamp?
Ummm... I dunno, it's the uppermost lamp in the instrument cluster :-)

Nitin

Last edited by ntomer : 15th March 2010 at 22:11.
Old 17th March 2010, 18:20   #69
BHPian

Hi,

This is a bump for my earlier question regarding ECM and wiring; and a couple of more queries -

1. There is slight play in steering, and it's kinda vague. I have never driven another Gypsy, so I don't know whether this is with all vehicles or only with mine.

2. Sometimes brakes aren't applied when I press the brake pedal the first time, it just goes down without any resistance. But when I immediately press it again, brakes are fine.

The work at vehicle in my home town will be completing this Friday and I will give it to MotorCraft for these remaining issue on Saturday. I understand that they are best people to diagnose these issues, but I just want to know some probable reasons, to avoid being taken for a ride :-)

Thanks

Nitin
Old 17th March 2010, 18:56   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

2. Sometimes brakes aren't applied when I press the brake pedal the first time, it just goes down without any resistance. But when I immediately press it again, brakes are fine.

Get your breaks bled.

Pramod
Old 18th March 2010, 03:56   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Hi,

This is a bump for my earlier question regarding ECM and wiring; and a couple of more queries -

1. There is slight play in steering, and it's kinda vague. I have never driven another Gypsy, so I don't know whether this is with all vehicles or only with mine.

The work at vehicle in my home town will be completing this Friday and I will give it to MotorCraft for these remaining issue on Saturday. I understand that they are best people to diagnose these issues, but I just want to know some probable reasons, to avoid being taken for a ride :-)

Thanks

Nitin
The steering box needs to be adjusted, if it can't be adjusted further - need to replace. cost about 5K

Brakes to be bled, air trap! If that doesn't work the booster is at fault.

Motorcraft is good...
Old 16th April 2010, 17:01   #72
BHPian

Today I gave my Gypsy to Maruti Service Masters, Okhla for the remaining work, that includes, but is not limited to :

1. Brakes overhaul
2. Electricals - thorough check-up
3. Suspension - thorough check-up
4. Steering - for play

Surprisingly there was no coolant present; looks like there is some leak. They will check that and will top up the coolant.

I asked the service adviser about engine flushing. But he told me that is not recommended in a 97K KMs run vehicle. According to him, in such a long duration carbon must have made a layer in the engine.Engine flush will wipe out that layer; and a gap will emerge between piston and cylinder. Is he right, or is it just hogwash?

I also asked him for radiator flush but they don't have that facility. I was also planning to go for engine-decolonization but didn't go for the above reason as told by SA.

Also there was oil leak from engine. Most probably it is due to gasket; SA will tell me if there is any other issue.

I will also get the differentials and suspension serviced. Hopefully after this final round of repairs, my Gypsy will be ready to tame Khardung La :-)

Nitin
Old 16th April 2010, 17:54   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Spike, why do think they both(MIL & ECL) are not the same?

Quote:
my Gypsy' wiring harness doesn't have that socket. But anyways I'll be taking it to MASS; let's see how it goes?
Nitin, All Suzuki models for US market have the OBD connector right under the steering. neither left side nor right side of the steering. Hope it should be the same with Maruti as well. If at all the connector is missing, there should atleast be a small wire (k-line) disconnected in the harness coming out from the ECU. all you need is to identify this disconnected line, ground line and battery supply line. connect these wires to the OBD connector on the scan tool and it should work. to know which pin to be connected to what, refer to On-board diagnostics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia based on type of connector. Do not bother to look for CAN lines on your vehicle as the diagnostics dont work on it. it works on k-line for your vehicle.
Old 16th April 2010, 18:00   #74
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Nitin, All Suzuki models for US market have the OBD connector right under the steering. neither left side nor right side of the steering. Hope it should be the same with Maruti as well. .
OBD connector is in Engine bay just before battery panel.
Old 17th April 2010, 19:57   #75
BHPian

ntomer, can u PM the number of the guy u got it insured from? I tried Chola and learnt they dont insure vehicles older than 7yrs. thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks