Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:15   #121
BHPian

Re: MPFI Gypsy King bought from Mayapuri

Hi guys, sorry to hijack your post, but i have a personal question,
I am planning to buy a Gypsy MG413W Carb and have found a few. My question is if i want to convert it to an MPFI (via engine swap) later on, will i have to change the gearbox and the drive axles as well?
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:02   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcererenator View Post
hey Nitin, when u remove the hard top, use a bikini top instead. i guess interchanging the tops 2-3 times a year shouldn't be much a problem.
Bikini top?

The only bikini top I know, is usually worn by the two legged variety. Never knew one existed for 4WDs too :-) Please share a picture.

\N
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:55   #123
Senior - BHPian

Bikini Tops are pretty famous for JEEPS.

you can have a look at their website.

Soft tops and Bikinis
Attached Images

Old 3rd August 2011, 17:00   #124
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Hi guys, sorry to hijack your post, but i have a personal question,
I am planning to buy a Gypsy MG413W Carb and have found a few. My question is if i want to convert it to an MPFI (via engine swap) later on, will i have to change the gearbox and the drive axles as well?
just the engine, wiring, add ECM and instrument cluster
saintsinner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 00:22   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
Personally i will prefer Motorcraft as the Service Manager "Rahul" himself has a MPFI Gypsy, also another Bhpian who services Ex-Army Gypsies buys parts from Motorcraft.
HI..kindly let me know who is that Bhpian..I own a Gypsu King Carb 1999 model and need to get a few things fixed..
MAP
Old 18th August 2012, 07:16   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpant05 View Post
HI..kindly let me know who is that Bhpian..I own a Gypsu King Carb 1999 model and need to get a few things fixed..
MAP
Take your vehicle either to Motorcraft Sahibabad (Rahul's place) or at AutoAttitudes Noida.
I have no idea who this Bhpian is but there is a thread on a rally prepped gypsy i think UP14 number. That gypsy is owned by Rahul.
harjeev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 23:27   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Take your vehicle either to Motorcraft Sahibabad (Rahul's place) or at AutoAttitudes Noida.
I have no idea who this Bhpian is but there is a thread on a rally prepped gypsy i think UP14 number. That gypsy is owned by Rahul.

Here is the link for Rahuls Gypsy
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...crutineer.html

He is the better bet for getting the Gypsy repaired/restored to close to factory specs , Rahul though is not actively involved in the preparation of privateer rally gypsies as he has now become pretty busy with the official Maruti Suzuki Rally Team Cars.

For Rally Modification , Aman (Auto Attitudes ) is a good option , as he is an ace rallyist himself and has immense knowledge about the ubiquitous gypsy
wbd8779 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 23:56   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Harjeev! Actually I bought this gypsy 2 yrs back but now its in my hands. I want to get it inspected by some experienced gypsy guy, will taking it to Motorcraft help? To me the jypsy is doing ok, but i am a novice and want to confirm everything is fine with the gypsy before taking it to chansi pass this september.
Old 27th August 2012, 19:07   #129
BHPian

Hi Guys!!

Just had the Gypsy Inspected and the Carb needs change. Infact, the engine is also crying for overhaul. Had it inspected by Rahul (Motorcraft) and he is of the opinion that it's better to upgrade the engine to MPFI than to spend money fixing it.

kindly let me know what do you think I should do as an engine upgrade will be hard on my pocket. But then I want the gypsy to be reliable and save me regular visits to the service station.

Also, how much an upgrade to MPFI should cost ?

waiting for your comments.

MAP
Old 28th August 2012, 05:28   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpant05
Hi Guys!!

Just had the Gypsy Inspected and the Carb needs change. Infact, the engine is also crying for overhaul. Had it inspected by Rahul (Motorcraft) and he is of the opinion that it's better to upgrade the engine to MPFI than to spend money fixing it.

kindly let me know what do you think I should do as an engine upgrade will be hard on my pocket. But then I want the gypsy to be reliable and save me regular visits to the service station.

Also, how much an upgrade to MPFI should cost ?

waiting for your comments.

MAP
Did Rahul Give you a quote? When I changed my car to a MPFI I had to purchase the engine and ecm apart from other things. All details on my thread here on Teambhp. I think that I bought the engine and ecm for 35K. This is just the engine and ecm all other things like sensors, wiring, etc etc are separate.
Old 31st August 2012, 19:19   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Did Rahul Give you a quote? When I changed my car to a MPFI I had to purchase the engine and ecm apart from other things. All details on my thread here on Teambhp. I think that I bought the engine and ecm for 35K. This is just the engine and ecm all other things like sensors, wiring, etc etc are separate.
Well he said it all depends on how much work I want to be done.
1. Go for a full rebuild and that will cost somewhere around 1.7 lac.
2. Go for engine and mechenicals only and that will be around 70 k.

I have planned to go for the second option. My only concern is will the gypsy be reliable after the overhaul. I have a limited knowledge of vehicle and can not differenciate between a good or bad engine. If I have to go searching for a MPFI engine at Mayapuri, I am sure I'll land up with the worst engine at mayapuri. I have heard those guys at mayapuri can tell from the look of a person if he can be cheated or not.
Old 31st August 2012, 20:24   #132
BHPian

Quote:
1. Go for a full rebuild and that will cost somewhere around 1.7 lac.
2. Go for engine and mechenicals only and that will be around 70 k.
1.7 is quite a bit on the steep side. I was in a similar situation recently with my MPFI Gypsy when its engine decided to give up the ghost nice and proper. It was finally decided to go for a new block itself and the cost came a bit over the second option.

It was run-in patiently after the rebuild and since then has done close to 5K KMs without any issues (other than when some bright souls at a MASS managed to get water into the distributor and injector when it was given for a wash), including a grueling 3400 KM trip to Ladakh that featured the really tough climbs of Wari La and Photi La.

The rebuild was done by Aman at Autoattitudes.
Old 3rd September 2012, 14:14   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
1.7 is quite a bit on the steep side. I was in a similar situation recently with my MPFI Gypsy when its engine decided to give up the ghost nice and proper. It was finally decided to go for a new block itself and the cost came a bit over the second option.

It was run-in patiently after the rebuild and since then has done close to 5K KMs without any issues (other than when some bright souls at a MASS managed to get water into the distributor and injector when it was given for a wash), including a grueling 3400 KM trip to Ladakh that featured the really tough climbs of Wari La and Photi La.

The rebuild was done by Aman at Autoattitudes.
That's really nice. Would you mind sharing the details of the rebuild ?
I considered Autoattitudes also but as I stay at Indirapuram, Motorcraft suits me better. Further, guys here seem to have high regards for both Aman and Rahul (Motorcraft).
I just want to do Chansal Pass in Sept. before going for engine + mechenicals overhaul. So I have some time to plan what exactly I want to do with my gypsy.
Old 21st November 2012, 19:17   #134
BHPian

Engine rebuilt :-) . The gypsy is still at the workshop as getting a few minor issues ironed out. Took a test ride today and I must I say the character of Gypsy has changed. It feels much more light, swift and agile. Very amused I am, the extra 15 horses have done wonders..
The work being done till now includes the following
1. Complete engine rebuild including new wiring.
2. New lock set.
3. Changed all the door and window biddings.
4. New tail lights and fender lights. New wiring has different couplers and didn't want to cut the brand new wiring.
5. Rear Kamanis.

I am planning to have a bolt on hard cabin similar to a rally cabin but am not sure if such an arrangement can be made. Guys, Pls advice.
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:16   #135
BHPian

Great to see that the work was done to your satisfaction , I was at MCraft Last week and had a look at your Gypsy.

You cannot get a Bolt on/Off Rally cabin , as that would lead to a lot of rattles and fit and finish issues , However since you will go to the workshop you can ask Rahul About the top being crafted for the other White Gypsy that he has rebuild (with the new body Shell)

Quote:
Engine rebuilt :-) . The gypsy is still at the workshop as getting a few minor issues ironed out. Took a test ride today and I must I say the character of Gypsy has changed. It feels much more light, swift and agile. Very amused I am, the extra 15 horses have done wonders..
The work being done till now includes the following
1. Complete engine rebuild including new wiring.
2. New lock set.
3. Changed all the door and window biddings.
4. New tail lights and fender lights. New wiring has different couplers and didn't want to cut the brand new wiring.
5. Rear Kamanis.

I am planning to have a bolt on hard cabin similar to a rally cabin but am not sure if such an arrangement can be made. Guys, Pls advice.

Last edited by wbd8779 : 22nd November 2012 at 10:23.

Most Viewed