Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2010, 11:50   #16
BHPian

Congratulations on your new buy. Very neat job.
Old 20th January 2010, 11:55   #17
BHPian

Wow!!
That is one super makeover!
The attention to detail is commendable.

Cheers
Vaibhav
Old 20th January 2010, 12:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant job. My eyes hurt from trying to look for OLD bits.

The cost?
Old 20th January 2010, 13:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

One helluva clean job done there mate. A break up of the costs would definitely help. BTW the piping work done with K&N looks neat.
Old 20th January 2010, 15:08   #20
BHPian

Congrats

Well Abhey congarts on ur dream machine and i m glad u liked it after waiting for a month... patience pays off Abhey. Before u took this decision of buying an army disposable, kept telliing u it would be worth the investment that u did.
Well its has taken lots pains and dedication to have a restoration done like that.... every part was opened checked cleaned replaced painted and fitted back. U saw it whn i was doing it...the end result is in front of u.

Slight hiccups of electicals, just the break light is not working and that could be possible if some wire was pulled during fittment.
All the these jeeps were scrap and to have it running in proper condition needs little time. Drive as much as u can and u ll love it. Abhey u have already seen wht ur jeep can perform so REV IT HARD MY FRIEND....

HAPPY DRIVING
Old 20th January 2010, 15:47   #21
BHPian

Abhey congrats on ur dream Machine and i m glad to liked it, it was worth the wait Right?
Old 20th January 2010, 16:19   #22
BHPian

Congrats, your car looks "showroom condition", a very stunning transformation indeed. Do share with us the expenditure for the restoration and the original cost of the vehicle.
Old 20th January 2010, 18:07   #23
BHPian

when we buy these army disposable vechicles wht we look is the over all chassis and body line of the jeep.... no matter how the engine is all wht mechnicals are missing we can still have them or repair them but a chassis if accidented ... its not worth the buy. Abhey always had this in mind if he could actually get wht he wanted and he was very hestitant in investing in this kinda project. I personally have a 98 model Gypsy which is a fully rally prepared and i guess lot of ppl might have seen it too... the Scorpion painted Gypsy. its a boom now as most of the rally ppl are going for these disposable jeeps as in to cut the cost.

The total expence which comes if we do all mechnicals and Swap parts for an MPFI conversion is not very expensive. Abhey wanted almost everythg on the jeep in proper running condition with a header and a K$N filter.
I guess i have justified my work and wht a scrap jeep can get converted into.
Abhey dun get worried abt these small electicals failures could have happened while fittings... the most important thing is ur engine which is superb and te overall restoration. Every part was opened, cleaned , repaired or replaced and painted even ur engine compartment.
The more u drive more u love ur jeep and yes u always have a choice of upgrading with racing kamanis and other stuff that i told u... u know wht ur engine performance is capable off so REV IT HARD MY FRIEND.

HAPPY DRIVING.....
Old 20th January 2010, 18:11   #24
BHPian

fantastic work man! what engine you have used in your gypsy? please post the cost involved.
Old 20th January 2010, 19:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Great restoration there. An impeccable job done and she looks spanking new ! Congrats. How much did this set you back by the way ?
Old 20th January 2010, 19:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanpreet View Post
The total expence which comes if we do all mechnicals and Swap parts for an MPFI conversion is not very expensive. Abhey wanted almost everythg on the jeep in proper running condition with a header and a K$N filter.
I guess i have justified my work and wht a scrap jeep can get converted into.

HAPPY DRIVING.....
So you are the man behind this restoration... A really great job. I mean its really hard to realise the fact that the restored Gypsy is actually made up from an Army disposal.

Congrats Abhay you've got yourself what you dreamed of. So enjoy it.
meanwhile let us enjoy the restoration pics please.. any one of you ....
Old 20th January 2010, 20:42   #27
BHPian

Thnx Mate. well i love doing these jeeps, it encourages me to do a neater job everytime. I almost did 5 jeeps in 3 months time and still working on few more.
Cheers

Its a 1300cc engine...

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th January 2010 at 21:15. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 20th January 2010, 20:51   #28
BHPian

Awesome! Very neat job. I wouldn't believe if told that it was an ex-army disposal! Really good restoration work! I guess the credit goes to amanpreet.

@amanpreet: Please have look at my thread of "unservicable Gypsy". Hope you can help me with that! And once again, you did a commendable job on the Gypsy! I'm sure Sorcererenator would be proud of it!
Old 20th January 2010, 21:48   #29
BHPian

Hey Aman, absolutely true - the more i drive her the more i am loving it, seems the other car is going to be parked in the garage for long

Guys, you wont believe the hell i gave Aman during restoration, am sure you must have already noticed from my first post about my curiousity and apprehension about the whole restoration. To the extent, whenever i was in the workshop, I used to ask so many questions (probably the most dumb ones) that it came a time when i was physically picked and thrown out by Aman and his guys lol. At the end of it, all i can say is know the right person - someone with experience, is a professional and you can trust, and let them take a call when it comes to technicalities (else make sure you are 6ft tall with 8packs. lol) just tell'em your requirements, and leave the rest to'em.

My overall cost of this project has been 2.5L which includes a basic stock gypsy with:
- MPFI engine, ecu and wiring
- added header and K&N
- total mechanical makeover
- electricals and lighting
- a solid paint job (which i am very happy with)
- soft top, matting and back seats

I spent another 30k on the tyres and the rims (MRF wanderer 215/70/R15)

Duration of the project was about a month.

Overall, i may have wayyyyyyy overshot my initial budget (to the extent even the fuel is going on credit cards now - lol) but i believe i have a steardy vehicle which will last me the next few yrs (esp with my constant pushing the limits attitude) - and hopefully with not much additional expense

thank you all for the appreciations, makes me feel even better!
n thanks Aman for doing a fab job...cheers

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th January 2010 at 23:03. Reason: Please take time to type in full english and avoid typing... like.... this. Thanks
Old 20th January 2010, 23:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sorcererenator,

The Gypsy looks fantastic. looks like driven just out of the showroom.
Please share the costs if possible. It would help many of us.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks