Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 13:44   #16
BHPian

Just a newbee questions, whats the usual price difference for getting a gypsy fixed at a regular workshop and MASS.
Old 21st January 2010, 14:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
The engine was opened, and to my delight, I was informed that the same was in a very good condition. It would require only Rings & Sleeves, and will become like new!
I have a question here. Why sleeves? Aren't oversize pistons available for this model?
Old 21st January 2010, 15:08   #18
BHPian

Wow, congrats for the gypsy. And so fast the work is also over? Pretty fast man
Old 21st January 2010, 15:14   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner View Post
Just a newbee questions, whats the usual price difference for getting a gypsy fixed at a regular workshop and MASS.
IMHO ,Its something 1/3 of the cost as compared to getting it done at MASS .
Old 21st January 2010, 18:29   #20
BHPian

I would rather comment on this statement. The gypsy spares if we buy from any authorised dealer comes to be cheaper as compared to after market. i have suffered major set back on buying after market you bolts and plates for the Kamanis. Outside it costed me like Rs 80 each for a U bolt and Kamani plate 220 whereas in a MASS MGP price is Rs 23 and Rs 86, but here comes the point why compromise on your own vechicle if you want them to last. I have returned clutch plate and pressure plate set bought from local market packet in MGP packing , we barely save couples of hundreds but if you buy from a MASS the surity of a genuine product is there. ALL GUD STUFF COMES AT A PRICE? dont we think so.
Next time anyone visits MOTORCRAFT just mention my name how much spares for Gypsy i buy, they ll tell. I make sure to place the order with them in time so that i can have those requirements fullfilled when required. On the other hand local market comes handy too
Old 21st January 2010, 18:35   #21
BHPian

Forgot to mention there is 1 more spare part dealer in Noida that i trust for spares so anyone needs help dont hestitate to give me a shout.
Cheers
Old 21st January 2010, 21:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

I totally agree with Aman. The genuineness when bought from a proper channel always helps and secondly if bought through MASS one get a warranty on the product. Not to mention the piece of mind!
Old 21st January 2010, 22:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
As I had never driven Gypsy (except 2-3 times with my friends) I find the ride strange, but can not pin point.

In a few km, I realize that the steering has huge play (almost 90-100 digrees), the tyres are bald, so again vehicle was moving like an untamed bull! Lights were dim, AND THE CURRENT WARNING LIGHT WAS ON.
Haha, that's the roller coaster ride called Mayapuri!!
Can't wait to hear the rest, Ashish!!

Cheers
Vaibhav
Old 22nd January 2010, 09:51   #24
BHPian

Thanks guys for the time. The story continues.

Next day, I took it back to Mayapuri, and asked the electricial for the current light. He said it is minor, may be due to some loose connection/ wrong connection. He took 10 minutes, and the light was gone. All well, no issues. Reg the steering play, I was informed that the play will remain as the box was old. If I neded, they will replace it with another 'good condition' box for 2.5K. Somehow, I was getting fed up of this Mayapuri stuff, and decided to consult a few experts.

Anyway, Next day, the vehicle just did not start. It seemed that the battery had drained out. I called the Mayapuri mechnics, who asked me to get it 'Dhakka Start' and bring it there! This was too much for me!

I did 'dhakka start' the Bushranger, and took it straight to Maruti Service Masters (GTK). The service staff were amused to see my 'Mayapuri Specimen' and and after a few laughs, got to work.

I was informed that, 1. The alternator was not working. Instead of rectifying the fault, the Mayapuri electrician had cut the warning light wire! Also, the entire steering assembly needed replacement, all 4 leafsprings & shox needed replacement (I had paid 2.5k for their repair). There was no body-bush underneath, many other smaller things needed replacement. I had no option, so please go ahead! I was informed that the parts for Gypsy were not in ready stock, and would take 7-10 days.

It took SM approx 2 weeks, and vehicle was handed over with a bill of 30K. Now, the vehicle was driving nicely. No issues, except minor noise from rear wheels.

I had to buy new shoes for Bushranger, and it was a hot debate. Should we go for F78s of Yokos. Finally, I went in for F78s (11k).

Now, the vehicle was ready, all done up. I drove it for 1000 km, and got the first service at MSM. There were recurring issues of body noise, hard top noise, the never-fading rear wheel noise (which will result in a big mishap later) etc, which were also rectified so some extent.

Now, I was ready to test my Bushranger, and was waiting for the next NIOC OTR.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:37   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanpreet View Post
I would rather comment on this statement. The gypsy spares if we buy from any authorised dealer comes to be cheaper as compared to after market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I totally agree with Aman. The genuineness when bought from a proper channel always helps and secondly if bought through MASS one get a warranty on the product. Not to mention the piece of mind!

Guess sinner was talking about getting it repaired ( serviced ) @ MASS , not about parts . Parts have to go in original if they have to last .

Quote:
I was informed that, 1. The alternator was not working. Instead of rectifying the fault, the Mayapuri electrician had cut the warning light wire!
Now, I was ready to test my Bushranger, and was waiting for the next NIOC OTR.
That was again a whooping amount you had to shell out from your pocket . , but I guess its the quality of work that matters . So how did the vehicle performed after the initial 1000 km run after getting it serviced from MASS ?
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:00   #26
BHPian

@ Jealous diamond: Yes, I had to pay a lot, and this is just the mid-point of my story. Picture abhi baaki hai mere dost!

The vehicle, after 2 rounds of MSM was much better, except spaller issues related to the earlier Mayapuri work.

Eventually, I have replaced/ repeated the entire process, and have spent the money twice on everything! So learning, NEVER, NEVER GET THE WORK DONE FROM LOCAL MECHANICS (READ MAYAPURI). It is our wish, if we want to spend the money at once, or in easy (and painful) installments!

Anyway, at the first OTR, the vehicle performed okay. Since I was also new, I did not attempt too many obstacles, and played safe.
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

i would like to advice people who are buying vehicles from mayapuri.

just tow the vehicle from mayapuri to the workshop you intend to get it restored. dont let it be touched by mayapuri mechanics!

i have been making rounds of mayapuri since 1990, i know what their mechanics do to a vehicle!

hmmm i think i have said it before somewhere in TBhp.

Last edited by Parm : 22nd January 2010 at 11:57.
Old 22nd January 2010, 13:10   #28
BHPian

Agreed, Parm. Lesson learnt!

After the first OTR, I was much more confident of my vehicle, and was looking for the next opportunity to test it harder.

The next OTR (on 15th August) was special, as apart from the regular NIOC gang, we had two special guests. The Jeep guru Mr. UBS, and Mr. Sudhir Kashyap from Mahendra. So, it had to be a special one!!

In last few days, the noise from rear wheels had made me take it to Mayapuri & MSM. At both the places, they removed the wheel, hammered the wheel plate, did some cleaning of brake pads, hammered the rim etc, but it remained. It was very irritating.

During the OTR, I noticed the rear wheel noise to increase. After a few obstacles, we moved to the sand pit, which required 4L.

Suddenly, There was a loud noise (like something breaking/ Some fracture), and lost power in rear wheels! Due to this, the front wheels digged in, and I was stuk in sand.

Fellow jeepers towed me out of the sand pit, and we started the inspection. Having Mr. Sudhir Kashyap with us was a blessing, as being a hands-on person, he got under the vehicle and declared "your Axle is out!!"

It was a shock for all of us, we put the vehicle on jack, and inspected the entire thing. THE ENTIRE WHEEL ASSEMBLY CAME OUT.

Upon inspection, we came to know that

1. All the four nut-bolts were old rusted ones (reused at Mayapuri), and had dislodged.
2. Due to which, the entire wheel plate had gone free.
3. As a result, the axle came out, broke.
4. Bent Diff tube.
5. Broken bearing, brake cylinder, brake line, and everything else (whatever left).

The situation was hillarious for some, and others where wondering what to do. Having such experienced people (apart from the above mentioned two) like RB, Laxman, Romi and a large buddy gang of NIOC (Harjeev, Arjun, Amit, and many more), it was decided that we will live upto NIOC motto, NEVER LEAVE A JEEP BEHIND, we will make it worth driving, and take it out to civilization!!

Me, I was depressed. This was not anticipated.

Anyway, the gang got down to work, and all broken parts were removed, reassembled (How, I have no clue, as I was just standing there, admiring the team spirit). They took one nut each from other jeeps, put the wheel back in place, put some blockage to keep wheel in place, sealed the brakeline etc. The vehicle was ready in 3 hrs. It was now only operating on front wheels, so had to be driven very-very slowly, in 4L only.

We brought it back, driven by Mr. Kashyap himself, and took it straight to his workshop on GTK Road.

The story continues.

(All photos courtesy Harjeev)
Attached Thumbnails
My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-10524_149284216916_617966916_3191936_4723552_s1.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-10524_149284221916_617966916_3191937_4933193_s1.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-10524_149284286916_617966916_3191943_4925811_s1.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 22nd January 2010, 13:32   #29
BHPian

Quote:
NEVER, NEVER GET THE WORK DONE FROM LOCAL MECHANICS (READ MAYAPURI).
It is our wish, if we want to spend the money at once, or in easy (and painful) installments!
Perfect Answer to my question...

But how would you rate then for body work. ( Paint, Body Parts etc.)
Old 22nd January 2010, 13:46   #30
BHPian

Hi Sinner, The answer is negative. Mayapuri work is only good if a person

1. Either KNOWS the entire process himself, and can keep a check of all minute things.
2. Drives a commercial jeep in Haryana.
3. Is a relative of the mechanics/ loves Mayapuri.

Not our cup of tea.

Cheers!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks