Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 14:08   #46
BHPian

@ Harjeev: Thanks mate. Appreciate your time & encouragement at every stage...!

@Goslow: Thanks Ankit. See u on Sat (??).

@ Karizma: Thanks mate, yes the color shade was chosen after a lots of mix & match. BTW, initially I had painted the rims too in the same shade, however, the overall package was looking somewhat dull. Then we went in for the cream shade (same as my top), and to get some more pep in the package, we also changed the front grill & FWHs color to orange!

Cheers!

ashish
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:47   #47
BHPian

Oh i get it ashish , anyway its a very good looking and unique colour combination . How much did you pay for each BFG? Me too planning to upgrade to BFG . What is your experience with that tyre so far?
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:39   #48
BHPian

Brilliant gypsy and what a performer,nice color choice too ashish,new shoes certainly look pretty cool on it and i hope the ride would also be a bit different from regular ones.
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:16   #49
BHPian

Brilliant write up and hats off to your patience. Cheers!! Enjoy your Bushranger.
Old 3rd February 2010, 22:38   #50
BHPian

nice gypsy but feel sorry for ashish ,know the heart ache we have the same work culture in mumbai the place is known as kurla cst.had bought '' new tyres'' for my 540 changed paid double when in 2 months the stephney mounted on the rear burst without having ever touched the tarmac
Old 3rd February 2010, 23:39   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Nice colour , i guess the rims also with same colour would have looked better . Anyway nice looking gypsy though . and nice tyres .
I feel Bushranger rims look good in contrast
Old 4th February 2010, 00:33   #52
BHPian

Ashish,
I know what it takes to restore an Army Gypsy. Everything you touch has to be replaced, and slowly and slowly you basically end up replacing all the parts and the budget goes way beyond expected. BTW what was the condition of 4X4 gearbox when you purchased the gypsy? I had a to purchase a new one for mine and its lot of money.
Old 4th February 2010, 10:16   #53
BHPian

Thanks Karizma, monkeyboy4u & Renegade, sierrakamat & Rishi,

Yes the effort had many ups & downs, still when I look back, I feel it was worth it!

@ Karizma: I had initially taken F78s (@ 2500/-), and after using them for 3 months & 2500 kms, I realized the shortcomings. I exchanged them with BFGs (sold F78 @ 1800/- and new BFGs @ 4100/-). Though I have just driven them for approx 1000 km, the difference in huge! On tarmac, the grip is mush better, steering is lighter, and braking has improved. There is slight difference in ride quality too. Off the road, they perform brilliantly. Overall, a good decision.

@ Amar, " The jeeps do not get old, they become new, part by part"

I was fortunate that the 4x4 transfer case was in perfect condition. Apart from that, everything else had to be replaced/ repaired.

Cheers!

ashish
Old 4th February 2010, 14:16   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Ashish B;1715496

Though I have just driven them for approx 1000 km, the difference in huge! On tarmac, the grip is mush better, steering is lighter, and braking has improved. There is slight difference in ride quality too. Off the road, they perform brilliantly. Overall, a good decision.
Ash,how do the bf's perform on sand? have you been able to test them on the trail where the bush-ranger was airborne?
Old 4th February 2010, 15:46   #55
BHPian

Sukhi,

we have not gone on the Manger trail of late, however, in 2 OTRs since then, I have driven across Behrampore track (Rocks, sand-pit, wadi etc.) and the performance has been considerably improved (may be the engine rebuild has also made difference).
Cheers!

ashish
(next one is on 6th, 2-8 pm. join for a test ride)
Old 4th February 2010, 15:58   #56
BHPian

The rebuild has come up to a very good extent. This is a great work done by your mechanic. Congrats !
Old 4th February 2010, 16:01   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Ashish, reading your experience of building your Gypsy is like going through a bollywood movie. Has all the up's & downs, twists & turns, heros, villans, friends etc.. And like a bollywood movie, this also seems to be coming around to a happy ending.

Congrats my friend on being so diligent and patience with your build. I am sure you will be enjoying every moment of the drive now.
Old 4th February 2010, 16:56   #58
BHPian

Many thanks Yogesh.

Khan Sir, appreciation coming from you matters a lot! Many thanks.

Cheers!

ashish
Old 5th February 2010, 12:00   #59
BHPian

@ Renegade:
Many thanks Mandeep! For appreciation of body color ( and Rims)!!

For everyone's information, Mandeep was instrumental in the purchase of the Gypsy, and the color & shade were also decided by both of us, after a lot of mixing at the Paint shop! In fact, it was his idea to change the Rim color!

Cheers!!

ashish
Old 5th February 2010, 12:41   #60
BHPian

Mate,

Where did you get the FWH from? How much did you pay for them? And where did you get them fitted? And do they really help?

Cheers

Nitin

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks