Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 14:57   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok. Already got a few PMs too regarding the console. Let me check in my garage. Will need a few days though...
I guess we will hold a lucky draw! Anyways, it's free, a gift form my side to Bhpians!
Old 10th March 2009, 00:37   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyammg View Post
Most of the EFI Samurai's have a Tach.
Actually, I do not think that is true of Gypsy's in the US. Most that I have seen have no tach.

Quote:
It is also very cheap and available on ebay US, I dont think it will work with our MPFI Gypsy though. .. Shyam
It is very typical to see the dash clusters, with a tach, for $100 on Ebay. I would like to have one for my Gypsy, but not bad enough to pay $100.

In the US Gypsy's, there are two different dash clusters with a tach. One fits 1985 through early 1988, and the other is Mid-1988 (referred to as 1988.5) through 1995 (last year for Samurai import in US). The most obvious difference is the older cluster is held in place by a screw in each of the four corners of the dash. The late (1988.5-newer) cluster is held in place with two clips at the top of the clusters, and two screws on the bottom. There are no screws in the face of the late model cluster. They will not interchange. The early Gypsy (US-pre '88.5) has round dash vent holes, and the late Gypsy (US-'88.5 through '95) has square dash vent holes. I have no idea if either will work with your MPFI Gypsy. There is a good chance the 1988.5 and newer will work.

Quote:
Also did you guys know that thier EFI Samurai's are 2V and not 4V like our Gypsies and are less powerful!!
In the US, we refer to the engines as 8 valve (2 per cyl) and 16 valve (4 per cyl). The US Samurai (EFI) were from 1990 through 1995, and were 8 valve (2 per cyl). I think the '90 through '95 (EFI) is 66 HP, and the '85 through '88.5 (carburated) is 64 HP. To my knowledge, the 16 valve was 1.6, and not imported into the US in the Gypsy.

I think the 16 valve (1.6L) were in the Sidekick and/or the Tracker. I have limited knowledge on these two, so I may stans corrected.

Wayne
Old 10th March 2009, 01:58   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
When i used to own a gypsy, i had procured this speedo assembly from abroad and tried unsuccessfully to mate it to my car.
Ditto here, Tejas.
I tried to graft one into my Gypsy as well without much success.
I bought one without the wiring connectors and had to first solder wires onto
the printed circuit and then into connectors. Put the whole thing together and fixed into the Gypsy. After a month or so of fiddling, gave up.

The speedo was geared differently and the speedo cable receptacle is threaded which meant more modification to the speedo cable. The fuel and temp gauges do not sync with the sender units of our domestic model and give inaccurate readings and the rpm gauge was inaccurate when made to work with my dual ignition coil equipped Gypsy though it worked fine with single coil ignition systems.

Maybe, if one could retrofit the internals of a stock Gypsy instrument console into that unit it might work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1 View Post

I think the 16 valve (1.6L) were in the Sidekick and/or the Tracker. I have limited knowledge on these two, so I may stans corrected.

Wayne
You are right Wayne, U.S. spec 1.3L Samurai's did not come with a 16 valve head.

Cheers

Last edited by gotzuk : 10th March 2009 at 02:02.
Old 10th March 2009, 13:50   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1 View Post
... In the US Gypsy's, there are two different dash clusters with a tach. One fits 1985 through early 1988, and the other is Mid-1988 (referred to as 1988.5) through 1995 (last year for Samurai import in US). The most obvious difference is the older cluster is held in place by a screw in each of the four corners of the dash. The late (1988.5-newer) cluster is held in place with two clips at the top of the clusters, and two screws on the bottom. There are no screws in the face of the late model cluster. They will not interchange. The early Gypsy (US-pre '88.5) has round dash vent holes, and the late Gypsy (US-'88.5 through '95) has square dash vent holes. I have no idea if either will work with your MPFI Gypsy. There is a good chance the 1988.5 and newer will work.
Good info there Wayne. This should help people wanting to source parts for their Gypsy from US.

The Indian Gypsy/Samurai still has the same Dash/cluster as in the 85 -88 from US.

Cheers,
Old 11th March 2009, 02:27   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

FINALLY!!!
Finally i managed to locate an old snap of my Gypsy. I think this was my first soft roading trip... Gosh, i miss those days!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-gypsy.jpg  

Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:39   #171
BHPian

Hi these are pictures of my 99 Army disposal MG 413 After Full Restoration
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-gypsy01otr.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-gypsy02otr.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-gypsy03otr.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-gypsy04otr.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-gypsy05otr.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-gypsy06otr.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2009, 10:11   #172
BHPian

Hi Swastik
That is a really nice restoration. Will post pics of my Gypsy once I change my tyres, the previous owner has put in car tyres size 205/60 R 15. Makes the gypsy look funny.

GB
Old 7th April 2009, 16:40   #173
BHPian

Thanks by the way which tyres are you replacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
Hi Swastik
That is a really nice restoration. Will post pics of my Gypsy once I change my tyres, the previous owner has put in car tyres size 205/60 R 15. Makes the gypsy look funny.

GB
Old 12th April 2009, 19:47   #174
BHPian

Our Gypsy in Goa

Here is our Gypsy currently 1 month old. It was ONLY bought for off-roading. Since it was bought It has only been driven off-road here in Goa(already 500 kms already done). It has 235 size Michelin LTX A/T tires and a Automech freeflow exhaust. Was planing to get off road drums but they are currently not available in India. So am stuck with stock rims. From day one have been using they way it should be used!

Anyways here are some pictures. Please feel free to comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_0777.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_0778.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_0780.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_0793.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_0794.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_0795.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_0808.jpg  

indra_slk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2009, 20:02   #175
BHPian

Nice ride there, i think i saw it a couple of weeks back when, I was there in Goa.
Old 12th April 2009, 20:05   #176
BHPian

That's a cool gypsy Indra Slk.The michelin tyres are awesome.Some day I'm also gonna buy one but the only regret is that you can enjoy driving Gypsy in Goa but not in my city 'cos most of the times it's really hot here.Great pics and congrats.
Old 12th April 2009, 20:09   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo45_m View Post
Nice ride there, i think i saw it a couple of weeks back when, I was there in Goa.
Where in Goa did you see it ?
Old 12th April 2009, 20:24   #178
BHPian

Beautiful One. Looks like new. Where did you buy it ?

Always dreamed of owning a Gypsy, the maintenance experience of my friend's Gypsy kept me dreaming.
Old 12th April 2009, 20:39   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart_77 View Post
That's a cool gypsy Indra Slk.The michelin tyres are awesome.Some day I'm also gonna buy one but the only regret is that you can enjoy driving Gypsy in Goa but not in my city 'cos most of the times it's really hot here.Great pics and congrats.
In Goa to it is hot. I take it out only after sunset. But really fun to drive.

[quote=petrohead;1256954]Beautiful One. Looks like new. Where did you buy it ?

Bought The Gypsy in Goa. Got it in 2 weeks of order
Old 12th April 2009, 20:54   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrohead View Post
Beautiful One. Looks like new. Where did you buy it ?

Always dreamed of owning a Gypsy, the maintenance experience of my friend's Gypsy kept me dreaming.
Dear Petrohead,
Could you kindly elaborate on the maintenance experience of your friend?
Has it been on the higher side? I always thought that Gypsy is low on maintenance. Apart from the regular servicing, are there any recurring problems/issues in Gypsy that needs to be addressed often?
Would be very helpful if some Gypsy owners could also throw some light.
Thank you very much.
Cheers,
Deepak

Most Viewed