Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:40   #646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Conjon tats a good maintained gypsy for an 86 model . get rid of that extra thing below the front bumper , your gypsy will look much better . BTW how much did u buy it for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Congrats Conjon!!
1986 model!! Wow.. that means this is one among the first batch of Gypsies rolled out from MUL.
Hello guys, thanks for the comments.This was a childhood dream!!

Yes indeed JeepCaptain, It is one of the first batch of vehicles that was produced by MUL and I dont know if this is true,I was told the first batch had its G10 plant from Japan.

karizma9292:That's an eyesore under the bumper and that's the first thing going off the vehicle.

It was bought from my best buddy's dad who has got a very good track record of keeping his vehicles very well maintained.

OT:He's got a 1966 Royal enfield in excellent condition with stock mechanicals and the only thing that has been changed on it was its wheels.Any Guess as to what was the price offered to him for this classic two wheeler?

I don't think anybody would think this was money well spent.But I think this was a very good deal at 65 grand.The vehicle is in very good running condition.

However there are a few things that I have to fix:
* The front wheel shaft has been disconnected and has not been used for ages(12years).
* The Aisin free wheeling hubs don't budge at all.
* The Transfer case gear lever has been dismantled.
Will take it to a MASS soon to get these fixed.

I intend to keep the vehicle stock for next 1year or so, to get a good feel of the vehicle, thereafter will decide on any mods to be done.

Would be looking for suggestions from all the Gypsy owners and experts here on TBhp.
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:56   #647
Senior - BHPian

Good choice of keeping it stock for sometime. Get the feel and then slowly decide what you want to add.
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:27   #648
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys
I removed the soft top today. Just some shots I took in the evening.
I intend to keep it as it is for some time!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_2906.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_2907.jpg  

Old 24th March 2010, 00:29   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey guys
I see you went to Meow uncle's offroading on 13th March OTR. BTW the baby looks better without the hood. The draft from passing vehicles at high speeds is horrible. Planning to take mine off soon.
Old 24th March 2010, 08:37   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys
Harjeev,
Your Gypsy looks neat and good.
I really am getting more and more into the Gypsy groove, love MM550 but want a own a Gypsy soon.
Old 24th March 2010, 09:34   #651
BHPian

Seeing Harjeev's photograph I felt like sharing a very cherished photograph of mine from last years Desert Storm.
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-_mg_0503_1.jpg

This was shot in the Greater Rann Of Kutch. It was pretty cold when this was shot and after an hour or so it was so damn hot.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 24th March 2010, 10:41   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
Seeing Harjeev's photograph I felt like sharing a very cherished photograph of mine from last years Desert Storm.
Attachment 314435

This was shot in the Greater Rann Of Kutch. It was pretty cold when this was shot and after an hour or so it was so damn hot.

Regards,

Anirban.

Thats nice shot , Did you take the pic?
Old 24th March 2010, 10:54   #653
Senior - BHPian

@harjeev -Your Gypsy is looking nice!

@NV- Nice shot and even nicer Gypsy!!
Old 24th March 2010, 11:05   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see you went to Meow uncle's offroading on 13th March OTR. BTW the baby looks better without the hood. The draft from passing vehicles at high speeds is horrible. Planning to take mine off soon.
Hi Anirban
Meow uncle? Does not ring any bells.
I was in office on the 13th, however wanted to come for the Wildcat thing on the 14th but couldn't make it.
Am definitely in for the next one

I dont plan to keep it like this for long. Have plans to go for a fixed fibre or steel cabin like Vaibhav's after I go in for an aircon. So you could say

open gypsy ke mazze le raha hun till I can

Just removing the seats and bars has decreased the overall weight of the vehicle and increased the pickup slightly. So I am leaning towards the fiber cabin as the weight should be considerably lighter than the steel one.
But still have to gather the moolah so might go for the fibre cabin later this year or early next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Harjeev,
Your Gypsy looks neat and good.
I really am getting more and more into the Gypsy groove, love MM550 but want a own a Gypsy soon.
I too like the MM550 especially its torge is great but the gypsy is purely for my long distance use.
A thought enters my mind quite a lot these days and I want or you can say might do that in the next couple of years.
Buy a beaten down CJ3B and put the complete engine, gearbox, transfer case, differentials, discs,etc of either a Gypsy King or a MM550 and see how it performs. The CJ3B's chassis is quite sturdy to handle extremes amounts or stress and with the king or MM550 mechanicals
I am leaning more on the king's side as I get quite a lot of customisable options like low ratios, diff locks, easily availability of headers, etc etc. And as I retain the petrol heart its cheaper to maintain and overhaul than the old diesel engines!!!
Any take on this!!! :-))

I will definitely do this project sometime or the other in my life, Just do not have the time and specifically the money part at present! Also if I start doing this now my wife will throw me out of the house

Quote:
It was pretty cold when this was shot and after an hour or so it was so damn hot.
Agree totally. In the early mornings it used to be freezing cold. I think gurjot measured a temp of 3 degrees on his watch around 2-3am. And in the day time well I'll day, by mistake we left a piece of bread on the bonnet of our gypsy and in c couple of hours it was actually baked. I couldn't believe it. And this was in the middle of Feb. What this place would be in Mayy & June I don't even want to imagine
On a lighter note next Desert Storm we should take solar cookers to make food
hehehe

It was freaking hot!!!

@Vinod
Thanks buddy

Last edited by harjeev : 24th March 2010 at 11:12.
Old 24th March 2010, 12:01   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Thats nice shot , Did you take the pic?
Thanks man. Yes I shot that pic. The person in the picture is my co-driver taking down the competition number of the vehicle which had just passed us and relaying on the radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Thanks a lot. Yeah I miss this gypsy a lot. Was my first after all.

Quote:
however wanted to come for the Wildcat thing on the 14th but couldn't make it.
Am definitely in for the next one
Well we had loads of fun that day. But honestly March isn't the time for OTR's in Rajasthan. The sand starts boiling after 9am onwards. One more thing...god knows how the guys navigated that track in dead of the night. We got lost quite many times in the day. You should surely come for the next one. Anyway will contact you for further info directly.

Quote:
I dont plan to keep it like this for long. Have plans to go for a fixed fibre or steel cabin like Vaibhav's after I go in for an aircon. So you could say

open gypsy ke mazze le raha hun till I can
Yea I'm also planning to do the same. But, not in fibre. I'll have it in Steel. At that time I might also get the bonnet painted to some other color. But, then again lets see.

Quote:
Also if I start doing this now my wife will throw me out of the house
Well I've also joined the same ranks but my weakness is camera equipment. The dream lens for me costs a mind numbing 6lac + so imagine if I do something like that. You might find me sleeping inside the back benches of my gypsy permanently downstairs.

Quote:
I think gurjot measured a temp of 3 degrees on his watch around 2-3am
Well the day before the camp (can't recall the leg number) at our SS we had 3 and at SS5 it was 1!! Gypsy's need to be better prepared for heat/cold insulation.

Quote:
On a lighter note next Desert Storm we should take solar cookers to make food
hehehe
Ditto!! Why do we take the co-drivers for?

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 25th March 2010, 19:49   #656
BHPian

Quote:

Regards,

Anirban.
Nice pic Anirban. Sad that you didnt take as many pics like last year.
After seeing your pic I thought of sharing the new look of your Gypsy in a different terrain.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_1858.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-p1000224.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
@harjeev -Your Gypsy is looking nice!

Vinod, fyi - You can have that nicer Gypsy in your team if you allow me join you in TPC10. LOL!

Quote:
Thanks man. Yes I shot that pic. The person in the picture is my co-driver taking down the competition number of the vehicle which had just passed us and relaying on the radio.

Thanks a lot. Yeah I miss this gypsy a lot. Was my first after all.

Yea I'm also planning to do the same. But, not in fibre. I'll have it in Steel. At that time I might also get the bonnet painted to some other color. But, then again lets see.

Anirban.
Anirban. Whenever you miss your Gypsy come down to kerala. Please replace your softtop soon. you know the reason behind my grin. right?
Old 26th March 2010, 08:22   #657
BHPian

Took the delivery of my Gypsy yesterday, it reached our farmhouse safe and sound and will be garaged there till end of august. Just sharing few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-dsc01566.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-dsc01554.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-dsc01557.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-dsc01578.jpg  

Amar82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2010, 09:48   #658
Senior - BHPian

Amar82,
Congrats!
Suddenly there is a spate of brand new Gypsies on our members garages and
How much did it cost you on road?
Old 26th March 2010, 09:49   #659
Senior - BHPian

congrats Amar82, so you sold your old gypsy and brought a new one, sweet.

Edit Just noticed: @ harjeev what happened to those bling alloys?

Pramod
Old 26th March 2010, 10:05   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Amar82,
Congrats!
Suddenly there is a spate of brand new Gypsies on our members garages and
How much did it cost you on road?
Thanks Fazal Bhai, It costed me 5.48L and additional 5.2K for front 2 rubber matts , anti rust treatment and paint lamination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
congrats Amar82, so you sold your old gypsy and brought a new one, sweet.
Pramod
Thanks Pramod.

Most Viewed