Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2016, 20:53   #1096
BHPian

Re: Maruti Gypsy Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hi,

Eagerly awaiting more details! Please start off your own thread ASAP, after getting your Gypsy. I have been looking for first hand experience of buying a brand new Gypsy for quite some time now. Any idea when the production is going to stop? What color did you book? Is it an HT or an ST? And, please do share the on road price as well.

And of course, congrats!

Neel
Hi Neel,

Thanks. I carefully restrained myself from quoting cost breakup coz, I don't have one yet. Since this is propping up second time, let me share a rough idea.

I stay in Bangalore. But, booked it in Trichy (TN). So, it's somewhere around this: Ex showroom - 6.41L. On road - 7.41L. NO Exchange bonus for Gypsy. No festive offer either. Booked in November second week. Getting delivery this weekend. I booked a HT first. Then, changed my mind for a soft top. So, it is a White MG413W ST. First hand experience on booking? Well, the sales executive - actually laughed and started to look everyone next to me - as if am going to kill him and that he's asking for help! Then, started to change ppl's mind around me. On driving? No test drive available. You have to go by what you see on forums like this. Rest, will get to know by this weekend. Will start a thread then. Production to stop or not, who cares. It's Gypsy man. We can do anything above the chassis.

Trust me, it's never too late to buy this. Mark my words.

(Would give a shout for help on any active Gypsy users for mod related queries.)
shreedharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 00:56   #1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump-Stop View Post
Congrats Abster!

What (if any) difference do you feel between the stock ride and your present setup ( 2" shackles and 31" tyres) ?
Thanks! The ride has definitely gotten a bit bumpier,however steering has become smoother.I dont know how that happened with the much larger tyres,maybe its the softer compound of the MT tyres?Experts should know better
I changed the front shackles first and test drove it,vehicle was damn smooth.Changed the rear shackles the next day, and was really bumpy.Realised that it had something to do with the shackle angle,so got my leafs recambered (Only rear to change the shackle angle).
After recambering, ride is smoother, however not as smooth as it was with the older set-up.But love the way the vehicle looks,so guess have to sacrifice somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
IMO

The most important difference would be the raised brows and glances of public on road (in admiration), looking at your Beastly Beauty
Thanks Amrik! Thats definitely the case,Its indeed surprising how people start noticing your ride after a few changes, do get a lot of admiring re-looks, which is great, considering we do spend so much of time energy and money on it !
The gypsy looks front heavy now, as Ive only been working on the front end, sides and the rear look stock.Suddenly feel the need to do something
Anyways new rock sliders and rear bumper are coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Very neatly done gypsy , keeping it simple always looks good .

Few queries though :
1. What are the mods done to accomodate 31" tyres .
2. How does the fused rims feel while driving above 70kmph ?
Thanks Karizma!
The new tyres were fouling with the front bumper and the wheel well (back side).
New bumpers and 2" shackle lift did the job.
After a test drive over some bumps, realised I had to grind the back side of the wheel well a wee bit, as the tyres scraped a metal piece which was protruding, on going over large potholes/bumps.

The fused rims drive like normal steel rims within the city, not taken the vehicle on the highway, but upto 70 kmph its not given me any problems till date.
Ill be changing to steel rims soon.Thats on the agenda, as I am looking at 1" extra width for the rims.The current rims are around 9".
Old 6th January 2016, 08:52   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreedharan View Post
Hi Neel,

Getting delivery this weekend. I booked a HT first. Then, changed my mind for a soft top. So, it is a White MG413W ST.
who cares. It's Gypsy man. We can do anything above the chassis.

Trust me, it's never too late to buy this. Mark my words.

(Would give a shout for help on any active Gypsy users for mod related queries.)
Congrats. Its an awesome vehicle. Pure mechanical, no gizmos no funky stuff. You will surely feel the bumpy ride after the initial excitement dies. I would recommend Ironman Suspension to sort it out. The gypsy drives beautifully with those and the drives will be fatigue free. You should also change the stock seats, i had the Tavera seats in my Gypsy which were very comfortable. These 2 mods would take care of your spine .

AC can be fitted and should be. Your family and friends will start cursing you in due course if this is not done.

Please share pics once it lands in your garage. Drive Safe.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 6th January 2016, 10:27   #1099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Congrats. Its an awesome vehicle. Pure mechanical, no gizmos no funky stuff. You will surely feel the bumpy ride after the initial excitement dies. I would recommend Ironman Suspension to sort it out. The gypsy drives beautifully with those and the drives will be fatigue free. You should also change the stock seats, i had the Tavera seats in my Gypsy which were very comfortable. These 2 mods would take care of your spine .

AC can be fitted and should be. Your family and friends will start cursing you in due course if this is not done.

Please share pics once it lands in your garage. Drive Safe.

Cheers,
Raj
Thanks Raj. Absolutely agree with your view on the vehicle.

Have read these threads numerous times and am prepared for "the period after the excitement dies". That said, will start a thread on getting mods that needs to be done. Have a few things in mind but will refine it. I want to retain the vehicle to "almost stock" condition. My use is predominantly on highways, trails & hills. So, not an hard core OTR person there. Will keep in mind all feedback that come through + earlier feedback.
Old 9th January 2016, 17:17   #1100
BHPian

Quote:
My use is predominantly on highways, trails & hills. So, not an hard core OTR person there.
Your location : Delhi
and your intended destination : Trails & Hills

Definitely somewhere far away from NCR
Old 9th January 2016, 17:56   #1101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Newly acquired 2002 ex-army gypsy MPFI
Is that the original paint or did you re-paint it. Looks really good for a auctioned vehicle.
Old 11th January 2016, 13:58   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Is that the original paint or did you re-paint it. Looks really good for a auctioned vehicle.
Original paint from the army , did not do any kind of touchups.
karizma9292 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 14:36   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Original paint from the army , did not do any kind of touchups.
IMO ... Civilians are not allowed to use Millitary coloured Vehicles.

Under normal circumstances, no worries

but

any Anti National Terrorism act could put even honest public in problem.

e.g. Pathankot incidence : All shopkeepers selling Military fatigues are under Lens
Old 13th January 2016, 15:43   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On road - 7.41L
Congrats on buying a new Gypsy. I started off with the same intent but the on-road cost of INR 7.7 lacs (in Bangalore) put me off and I ended up bying a pre-owned one at less than a third of that cost!

Hope you enjoy your new toy - do post pics once you have it!
Old 13th January 2016, 15:46   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Congrats on buying a new Gypsy. I started off with the same intent but the on-road cost of INR 7.7 lacs (in Bangalore) put me off and I ended up bying a pre-owned one at less than a third of that cost!

Hope you enjoy your new toy - do post pics once you have it!
Thanks. Ya, price stopped me too. But, since I follow a "no-second-hand car" I have to (mentally) forced to get a new one.

On pics, it's getting a bit delayed. Since new RTO process kicked off. Will get it in 2 days. Will post then. Thanks for your wishes again.

P.S: Post your pics too.
shreedharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 00:46   #1106
BHPian

I am an active Gypsy user, but it is my daily ride. Pictures a few pages back, it is a March 2011 new, one of the first BS4s in Calcutta. Cost me around 7.5 lakhs after a five door station wagon body and A/C, and still adding ornaments ! It does normal 'city' runs 90% and village/dirt track runs occasionally.

It is possibly the most obsolete vehicle sold in India (barring OMNI), now that the Amby is no more !
Old 21st January 2016, 14:15   #1107
BHPian

Mod note: Post Edited, please avoid Quoting entire large post for short replies, affects readability especially in mobile browsers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster View Post
Hi
------
Exterior

Wider fused Gypsy discs
Nankang 31*10.5 MT Tyres
55w LED flood lamps on windscreen (bracket procured from Swastik Fabs)
Naked Offroad Bumper from Swastik Fabs
Shackle Lift from Prad
Hella Worklamps
Limbriser
New grille

Interior
Clock installed
Fire Extinguisher
Piano switches for fog lights and push button for horn
New Sport steering with hub

Can you please provide me the link for above one in BOLD...Thanks!

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st January 2016 at 15:21. Reason: Post Edited, please avoid Quoting entire large post for short replies, affects readability especially in mobiles. Thanks.
Old 28th January 2016, 01:26   #1108

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Venom View Post
Mod note: Post Edited, please avoid Quoting entire large post for short replies, affects readability especially in mobile browsers.

Can you please provide me the link for above one in BOLD...Thanks!

You can check out the swastikfabs website (swastikfabs.in) and Prad 4*4 facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Prad4x4/?fref=ts).
All items available with them and they will courier it to you.

The Hella worklamps were sourced from Cochin for 500 odd a piece and the OE grille from Maruti Authorised spares.
Old 29th January 2016, 12:11   #1109
BHPian

How much did you pay for the entire modification??
Old 29th January 2016, 12:38   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Ride would differ with shackle lift. Steering response will change. High speed handling goes for a toss

Most Viewed