Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 17:06   #136
BHPian

dwarak , i am game! i missed chikka toray also , pls lemme know.lets plan up something.

i have been dying to get my hands on a rally prepped gypsy king, even more so after these pics below.

Last edited by siddartha : 4th March 2009 at 17:11.
Old 4th March 2009, 19:18   #137
BHPian

MG410 - Changed face

Hi Guys,
I have been thinking about posting pic's of my Gypsy for a while now, but did not have good shots. I am not a serious off-roader like you guys and have not attended even a single OTR as of now. But 4X4 has been my passion for long and have driven Mahindra Classic and Gypsy quite a lot. Most of my off-roading was due to the need for me to be in inhospitable places for my wildlife photography and filming passion.

I did spend a lot experimenting few things by modifying my Gypsy (1996 - MG410 with LPG kit). These modification have been more for improving the functionality than what seems to be cosmetic. No modification on engine yet, though I wanted to have a K&N with free flow exhaust.
  • Changed the headlights to have a clear glass and added relay to accomodate 100/90 lamps.
  • Front leaf springs have been adjusted and a coil spring was added to improve ride quality. (Haven't seem much difference though) May need some adjustments.
  • Alloy wheels (Aura) and Michelin Tubeless Tyres - 235/75 R15
  • Rear seats modified to adjust in various positions. (flat, upright, fold forward)
  • Grey carpet mat to reduce heat inside.
Hope you enjoy the pic's. Comments and complements are welcome.

Khan Bhai: I wanted to remove few pic's, but could not figure out how. If you think there are too many remove some of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-dsc02366.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-dsc02372.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-dsc023701.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-dsc02334.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-dsc02801.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-dsc02809.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-dsc02330.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-dsc02362.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 4th March 2009, 20:42   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
  • Front leaf springs have been adjusted and a coil spring was added to improve ride quality. (Haven't seem much difference though) May need some adjustments.
Wow man, that's some Gypsy you have there.

BTW, what is this coil spring you have added? Can't make out much from the pictures.

If possible, post some pictures of the coil spring setup. I am interested to know more about this.
Old 4th March 2009, 21:03   #139
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Dwarak sir, T-BHP doesn't allow any 'Brand Specific' meets ONLY etc to be posted on the forum. If at all, it has to be taken up off-line from the forum.

Cheers,
But there are threads about safari, old honda city etc.meet right so why not Gypsy.
Old 4th March 2009, 21:30   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Vaibhav,
Awesome pictures. Thank you very much for sharing them. If there are more, please upload. By the way, at which time/month were you there? I had been to some places in HP in the month of July. Could see snow only in Chandertal and Ki.
Cheers,
Deepak
Deepak,
These pictures were taken during the 2008 Raid De Himalaya during the first week of October. Some more from the same region and event.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-p1060694.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-p1060383.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-p1060421.jpg

How Cold is that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear9009 View Post
hi
Is that a contessa 1.8 engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@shyammg:

Kewl Pics..Any details about the 1.8 4WD gypsy?
That Gypsy is owned by Mitesh Rambhia of Nagpur. It runs a 1.8 Isuzu engine (carburetted) mated to Gypsy King 5 speed gearbox and stock transfer case. It now sports a new look complete with a Ramsey winch up front. Here is a pic of it during the Desert Storm '09.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-p1070957.jpg
Old 4th March 2009, 23:12   #141
Senior - BHPian

dude that scorpio headlamp looks funny.! Original round one looks cool, or it will also land on a thread that is very popular around here.
Old 5th March 2009, 03:34   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

For gypsys that come with front facing rear seats. How do you get to the rear seat? Can the front passenger seat be folded?
Old 5th March 2009, 09:15   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
For gypsys that come with front facing rear seats. How do you get to the rear seat? Can the front passenger seat be folded?
The backrest folds and the seat slides forward. Not for women in Sarees, and first timers are sure to bump their head on the way in
Old 5th March 2009, 09:51   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec
dude that scorpio headlamp looks funny.! Original round one looks cool, or it will also land on a thread that is very popular around here.
Yeah, I understand what you are saying. That's what kept me away from posting for a while. Looks depends on individuals taste. I was basically looking at having a clear glass headlight to improve the lighting than adding extra lights all over. The purpose is served and have received mixed responses, so it doesn't bother me any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict
Getting into back seat is a real pain, especially for women. The front seats just slide and fold forward a bit to make some room to squeeze in. I initially wanted a 40:60 seat which could be folded forward with an entry from back side, but due to various factors I was forced to drop some plans take the vehicle back from the mechanic.
Old 5th March 2009, 09:52   #145

Please excuse this long post.

Hello everyone. My name is Wayne, and I live in the township of El Dorado, California, USA. I am the proud owner of a 1991 Suzuki Samurai, I think sometimes referred to as a SJ-413, Sammi or Zuki. There are several models of the Samurai, and I am really only familiar with mine. I posted most of this in the intro Thread. I hope to be a positive contributor to this Forum. From what I have read so far, I have made many modifications to my Zuki (Gypsy). I would be very pleased to share my experience in the modification of my Zuki (Gypsy).

There will be a period of adjustment for me. I can share with you what I have experienced, and provide links so you can read the experiences of other Americans. For you to understand the post in these links, you must understand the vocabulary. This is where I must adjust. I will try to use your vocabulary, and the American. I must rely on you to question any verbiage you are unclear on. Please understand, you cannot offend, embarrass me or in any way offend me by questioning or challenging me on any post I make. Keep in mind, I am/was a teacher by profession, and as such, have a pretty tough skin.

I appreciate the privilege of posting on your Forum, and being from another country, I will sometimes need your help in explaining myself. I admit to being a bit intimidated. Please do not hesitate to tell me if I post something offensive, or question me if you do not understand something I post. I will use American slang terms, and when I do, I will explain the term. If I fail to do so, please question me on it. Hopefully, I will adapt.

I have had my Sammi for about six years. Before I retired (July 2008) I drove my Sammi on weekends. Now it is my DD (daily driver). I towed my Sammi behind my '96 Dodge (DSL) truck and camper (TC), when touring parts of the USA, or just camping. I continue to use my Sammi with my TC. My truck and camper (TC) are also highly modified.

I started my modifications in July of 2008. I do my own mechanical work, fabrication and welding. At a glance, you will see the obvious mods (modifications), fiberglass top, lift, oversize wheels and tires, rock sliders, bumper, and winch. My Sammi is by no means the ultimate Sammi in the US, but it is very respectable, with clean, functional modifications. I do receive a lot of compliments on it. I do have some additional mods I will do.

If you are interested, I would be proud to post photos of my Sammi, truck/camper (TC), and answer any questions. I will also post photos of trails and other American Zuki's.

I have posted before and after photos of my Sammi.

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-2004_0624italy0002-small.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-my-zuki-2.jpg  

Old 5th March 2009, 10:18   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Wayne, that's a very clean looking Samurai you have there.

Do start a separate thread about your Zuki and I have tons of questions for you. Let's leave this thread for pictures and a post or two about them.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2009, 10:36   #147
BHPian

Wayne, welcome aboard Team-BHP. I assure you, this is a broad minded forum and most of us are used to the American lingo and thinking. I bet you would not find it difficult to put your thoughts across on this forum. Thats a neat zuki you have there..
Old 5th March 2009, 11:22   #148

@ headers – This is a Conti Engine and I actually had the builders card somewhere. The really good part is his whole conversion is very economical. Makes great sense to pick up a old 1L and do this.

@ Starter – I guess I need to be more regular. Will do so from now on, maybe come over to one of the OTR’s so I get to know all you guys.

@ Siddartha – Rally prep for a gypsy is quite cheap now since engine mods are almost nil not like the old A+ Gypsies in the early 90’s!!

@ Pardus – Man this has to be the neatest gypsy in all of team-bhp. Could you tell me what paint you’ve used on the top. Also is it finished in a rough matt? I’ve painted my roof black and it looks all “wavy” and bad. See the present day pic below.

@Wayne – Welcome. Cool Sami, Did you fabricate the front bumper?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_1163_1.jpg  

Old 5th March 2009, 11:29   #149

khan_sultan, thanks for the kind words. Not only will I have to count on members at large, I need your direct guidance as to how to post on this Forum. Please do not hesitate to post or PM to give me guidance. If you have a subject in particular you would like me to start a Thread on, do not hesitate to suggest.

shazikon, thanks for the encouragement, and the positive comment on my Zuki. We Americans are extremely diverse in so many ways, from lingo to thinking and beyond. It is not necessarily good or bad, just simply a fact. My biggest concern is posturing, by me or you guys. I will make every effort not to patronize you guys, and I hope the reverse is true.

To all readers, I live in what is considered the hart of gold country, in California. How do I share this with you? As for 4x4 opportunities, I live within 1-hour of the famous Rubicon Trail. I can, and will start a Thread on any subject I am knowledgeable in, but I need your guidance. Let the questions began.

Oh, I almost forgot, you guys have excellent English righting skills, please do not expect me to compete, I am an American, and speak/right with a lot of American slang. This is not intended to a patronize, simply a statement of fact.

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-various-zuk-related-030-small.jpg  

Old 5th March 2009, 12:35   #150
Senior - BHPian

Wayne,

Welcome to the forum.

Great looking zuki! We got to learn more from you on native off roading and modifications.

Dwarak
Khan did you notice here on Wayne's Samurai the balancing rod is removed for better articulation. Last pic.

Most Viewed