Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2010, 17:50   #736
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcererenator View Post
Its the Army canvas but in black - hard to source but is available if you know the right people in Mayapuri.

And yes, you are right. Hence, i intend to remove the benches at the back and instead, just have two mid sized bean bags placed or a large one which can be used to sleep in as well

Thanks GTO.

Thanks Ym-enjn
---------------------------
Just did an OTR yesterday, and here are two pics that poses what a stock gypsy is capable of (AT tyres)
Wonderful photographs especially the 2nd one

BTW today the mugal rally was covered in Autocar Show/ Overdrive and Times Drive too,but i could not identify your gypsy ;-(
Old 11th July 2010, 17:55   #737
BHPian

Stock Gypsy? FFE, Headers, Performance filter, racing suspension..

Yes this is stock in the Rallying circuits !
Old 11th July 2010, 18:07   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...And yes, you are right. Hence, i intend to remove the benches at the back and instead, just have two mid sized bean bags placed or a large one which can be used to sleep in as well
Seems the idea of bean bag at the rear is going to be a hit. We did that last January on a jeep trip to accommodate the 3rd passenger and it was more comfortable than a seat. Btw, saw y'r gypsy near sector 62 recently, i was in my jeep, looks cool.
Old 11th July 2010, 18:52   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Wonderful photographs especially the 2nd one

BTW today the mugal rally was covered in Autocar Show/ Overdrive and Times Drive too,but i could not identify your gypsy ;-(
I go as an official, and the media never captures official jeeps. Guess, next time i will have the media guys onboard and make sure more than the participants i get captured

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Stock Gypsy? FFE, Headers, Performance filter, racing suspension..

Yes this is stock in the Rallying circuits !
Ankit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Seems the idea of bean bag at the rear is going to be a hit. We did that last January on a jeep trip to accommodate the 3rd passenger and it was more comfortable than a seat.
i agree, it is very comfortable - i took the bean bag for the mughal rally and it was so comfortable (mostly out of the gypsy atleast )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Btw, saw y'r gypsy near sector 62 recently, i was in my jeep, looks cool.
must have and thanks - i work in 59 and invariably end up taking the gypsy to work even in this scorching heat. if you live in NOIDA, then you should join us in the OTRs as well
Old 13th July 2010, 12:42   #740
BHPian

Diesel Monster

Here are some pics of my Gypsy from the same 10th July OTR. Some pics are from Mobile cam so sorry low resolution.

Cheers
Ankit
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-9.5.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-15.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-amritsar-033.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-amritsar-034.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-amritsar-035.jpg  

Old 16th July 2010, 17:53   #741

great pics have a 98 carb gypsy.use in the city and for my wildlife jaunts.can you help me out in suspension set up cause on road i feel it too bouncy.would like to soften it up a little.amy alternative shocks you can suggest?
Old 19th July 2010, 00:33   #742
Senior - BHPian

Finally the top goes down... :)

my zuk shedding some excess skin after 5 months

and i love it
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-18072010216.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-18072010215.jpg  

Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2010, 07:47   #743
Senior - BHPian

Bad time of the year to be messing with the roof man

BTW - I hope that is not the final soft-top...looks awful. Are you doing a half-top (hard shell) or a soft-top?
Old 19th July 2010, 17:23   #744
Senior - BHPian

this is a stop gap arrangement, i have the soft top bars to be installed at the back and the same kind of bar behind the b pillar and then get a full soft top done but am still thinking getting a flat roof hardtop for the drivers cabin.

It feels a bit lighter but not to a great extent.

and i know wrong season but what to do.
Old 19th July 2010, 23:39   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
get a full soft top done but am still thinking getting a flat roof hardtop for the drivers cabin.
I have had the soft top for a few months and then i covered the front top with metal. There is an immense difference in ease of catching up speed and smoothness - much better, and i recommend it. (not to mention the safety aspect)

Disadvantage: you lose the fun of roaming about in a 'completely' open gypsy in good weather. Staying in Delhi, with hardly any good weather, i can live with that.

Its a close call!

Last edited by Sorcererenator : 19th July 2010 at 23:40. Reason: language correction
Old 20th July 2010, 23:03   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is an immense difference in ease of catching up speed and smoothness - much better, and i recommend it. (not to mention the safety aspect)

Disadvantage: you lose the fun of roaming about in a 'completely' open gypsy in good weather.
i got a quote of around 20 - 25K for a metal drivers cabin (top + back with window) which i found to be too expensive hence right now i am going for a standard grey soft top and front facing seats (need FF Seat as its a relief for the family, the bench seats are back breakers)

wanted a blacktop with sides also folding up but that quote was also a little pricey for me hence i stuck to the standard one.

Saving for future CFLs

Cheers
Old 20th July 2010, 23:46   #747
BHPian

Quote:
i got a quote of around 20 - 25K for a metal drivers cabin (top + back with window) which i found to be too expensive hence right now i am going for a standard grey soft top and front facing seats (need FF Seat as its a relief for the family, the bench seats are back breakers)
20k for a full cabin is decent price. i guess its about 13-14k cabin and the rest is for the paint job + the rear windshield and sealants and rubber strip. my front top cost me about 5k with insulation inside. you could think of only getting that done.

Quote:
wanted a blacktop with sides also folding up but that quote was also a little pricey for me hence i stuck to the standard one.

Saving for future CFLs
again, the black top will cost you about 4k with all the jing-bang of placing hooks and straps wherever and however you want it. Remaining 3k for the roll bars and labor. For me it was 12, but I guess you could make something like that within 10k which is a decent investment.

BTW, the black gypsy in the pics above have CFLs in the rear. all the people i have spoken with who have used them said they are good but not worth the money because the difference in ride quality is not much (unless you are driving on the road mostly); instead stick to stock kamanis or probably invest in T1 (red ones - unforgiving) or T2 (black ones - slightly better) kamanis which immensely improve cornering and overall handling of your jeep. All FYI!!!
Old 21st July 2010, 10:35   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, the black gypsy in the pics above have CFLs in the rear. all the people i have spoken with who have used them said they are good but not worth the money because the difference in ride quality is not much (unless you are driving on the road mostly); instead stick to stock kamanis or probably invest in T1 (red ones - unforgiving) or T2 (black ones - slightly better) kamanis which immensely improve cornering and overall handling of your jeep. All FYI!!!
what are these, can you give more info on these. Kamanis is a company that makes suspension for the gypsy?

i mostly drive alone or max 2 passengers and want to reduce the rear jumpiness. CFL it seems takes care of that and this being my only vehicle,i drive on road too
Old 21st July 2010, 11:17   #749
BHPian

Quote:
what are these, can you give more info on these. Kamanis is a company that makes suspension for the gypsy?
Leaf Springs are called "patte kamani" in Hindi
Cheers
Old 21st July 2010, 11:42   #750
BANNED

Quote:

i mostly drive alone or max 2 passengers and want to reduce the rear jumpiness. CFL it seems takes care of that and this being my only vehicle,i drive on road too
Abhey is referring to Kamani's by a brand called tiger. They come in Red & Black.

Both have their own pros & cons. u might consider putting gas filled shocks along with that if not done already.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks