Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2021, 10:46   #1516
BHPian

Re: Maruti Gypsy Pictures

@Mods: Not sure if this is the right thread, please move to an appropriate one if necessary.

Here's a heart-touching story of a Maruti Gypsy that was given a grand farewell by the Vellore Post Office for serving the department faithfully for 22 years.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-screen-shot-20210712-10.43.35-am.png

Original link to the Instagram post by NDTV here.
TejasKinger is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 12:54   #1517

Hey Guys,

Quick update on the Gypsy. One of the primary problems was the stiffness of the steering which reduced by about 75% once I put on new tyres. However, while turning left, the vehicle was not turning completely. This was because the left wheel was shaking. I took it to the mechanic, primarily for this work as well as some engine service like replacing filters, oils and any other parts that might need to be replaced as it is a 20 year old Vehicle.

While inspecting, the Mechanic said the Leaf Springs needed to be "mobbed" (Not sure If I got the word right, that's the word used here in Hyderabad). Basically, the Leaf Springs were Flat and had to be returned to their original shape.

The Bearing in the Left Wheel broke as well.

After Fixing the Leafsprings the height between the tyres and fender literally doubled and the ride is much smoother. The car can turn left without any problems not, however, there is still some play in the Steering. Although manageable, I want to get that fixed. My mechanic says replacing the Steering Gear should do the job.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

Broken Bearing in the Left Ball Joint I guess?

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-broken-bearing.jpeg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-stands.jpeg

Replaced the Ignitor Plugs and the Spark Plugs. When in third gear the vehicle used to struggle a bit while pushing the Gas, so the Mechanic suggested changing out the Ignitor Plugs and Spark Plugs.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-engine.jpeg

Back Home after a fix.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-diagnal-front-view.jpeg

Side View, looks much more like a Jeep than before. Yes, that's another Gypsy behind, and No, it's not mine. It's one of the Building Resident's Family Member's.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-side-view.jpeg

I now have left to do:

1. Steering Gearbox for the Play.
2. Innova Seats - My cousin has a couple of brand new unused Innova Seats which we plan on fitting in here.
3. Full Rub and Polish.
4. Bumper Painting.
5. Bonnet has a couple of dents and needs to be fixed as well.
6. Due to having sunk in quite a bit of cash already, including the purchase, we are thinking of just wrapping black paper around the fenders for now, to hide the black paint marks. Also, the rear right fender had some minor welding done to it.

All comments / suggestions are welcome!

Well it's a Sunday already so, enjoy the rest of it!
Mindpsyche is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 13:11   #1518

Hey Again,

Fitted a couple of brand new Innova Seats in to the car. I was a little skeptical but my cousin who has vast experience in motor vehicles was adamant and told me I knew nothing (which is true).

Anyway, we have a great denter here and instead of making any adjustments to the vehicle he adjusted the seats.

The ride has become 50% smoother just with these Seats. View of the windshield has obviously increased in height and can neatly and clearly see the end of the bonnet.

Here are some pics:

Slides front and back perfectly to adjust leg room, can also lean back, although the back seat kind of hinders towards the end. You can't have everything in life.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-drivers-seat-view.jpeg

Both seats attached, the Hand Brake is neat in the centre, and the gears take a little getting used to, however, the arm rest will come in handy on long drives.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-side-view-2.jpeg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-arm-rest-view.jpeg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-arm-rest-view-2.jpeg

Picture from the outside. The colour goes well with the blue.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-outside-view.jpeg

Have a great weekend!
Abbas
Mindpsyche is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 11:18   #1519
BHPian

So after buying the gypsy i started the work of preventive maintenance and started working on getting it back to factory speck. Some of the work done are
1. Changed all the fluids along with spark plugs and all new filters.
2. Got a new radiator and all coolant hoses are changed to new. Got new temperature switches along with a new thermostat.
3. The timing belt was replaced with a new cover as well.
4. Starter solenoid was gone and had to replace that as well.
6. Got all cables i.e, speedo, clutch and accelerator cable replaced.
7. Got the brake lines refreshed with new brake pads and shoes.
8. Got the front differential oil seals replaced and re-greased as there was a small leak.
9. All engine mounts and gearbox mounts replaced with brand new ones.
10. Got the entire clutch system changed with new clutch, pressure plate, releaser bearing and a new flywheel.
11.Got some dashboard trims replaced with new parts to make it look better.
12. Changed all the rims with brand new ones and got brand new yokohama geolander tires on it.
13. Got the valve clearance checked along with tappet adjustment done. The timing was also checked and set right.
14. The idle was a little uneven and the culprit was ICA Valve. Got it replaced with new.
15. Got all new headlights installed for better illumination with 90/100 bulbs installed along with a relay.
15. I also got the windshield changed as it had a lot of scratches on it with brand new ones.
16. Lastly the speedometer was not working as the worm gears were worn out and got the gear box opened and got it overhauled with brand new mgp parts.

These are some of the major works done as of now and my boy feels refreshed. There are a couple of more things pending which i will update in my upcoming posts.

Until then, here are some pictures that i managed to capture

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-2.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-3.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-4.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-5.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-6.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-7.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-8.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-9.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-10.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-11.jpg
AnishRanjan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 18:01   #1520
BHPian

My latest acquisition

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-pxl_20211107_12200453401.jpeg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-pxl_20211107_12121986601.jpeg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-pxl_20211107_11452565401.jpeg
Dodge_Viper is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 18:42   #1521
Senior - BHPian

Found this at a FNG.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_20211108_183918.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_20210907_143546.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_20210907_143533.jpg
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 18:27   #1522
Senior - BHPian

I overheard from someone in the Maruti show room itself, in 1987,when I purchased my Gypsy that IF YOU CAN BEAR THE BUMPS, GYPSY IS THE BEST 4X4 AS OF TODAY.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 13:18   #1523

Finally got around to remove the Hard Top. Looks a lot better obviously. Now i have a new problem, which is that Cats are using the vehicle as a home so I need to find a way to deal with this.

By the way the odd black "patches" is nothing but radium I have used to cover up the paint done by the Air Force personnel when the emblems were covered off. A temporary and affordable solution till I decide to do a complete paint job.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-whatsapp-image-20220109-1.13.49-pm.jpeg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-whatsapp-image-20220109-1.13.59-pm.jpeg  

Mindpsyche is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 16:44   #1524
BHPian

Need Help!

I own a MG413 hardtop and off late I am getting a smell of petrol in the cabin. Mostly when the fuel is low. MASS could not find the source of the issue.

Has anyone faced anything similar or would anyone know the probable cause?
Old 16th January 2022, 17:39   #1525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ410 View Post
Need Help!

I own a MG413 hardtop and off late I am getting a smell of petrol in the cabin. Mostly when the fuel is low. MASS could not find the source of the issue.

Has anyone faced anything similar or would anyone know the probable cause?
Get the fuel line checked, also change the air return tube, your FNG will locate it near the neck of the filling cap.
Old 16th January 2022, 18:38   #1526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Get the fuel line checked, also change the air return tube, your FNG will locate it near the neck of the filling cap.
Thanks Vinod. Probably a problem with the fuel tube as the smell is at the back only
SJ410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 14:52   #1527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash_1806 View Post
Hi Everyone.

This is going to be my very post at Team BHP.
I would like to start my journey on this forum with a few pictures of my latest acquisition, 2005 Ex Army Maruti Gypsy King. It was purchased from Auto Attitudes in May 2020.
She has a few performance mods such as K&N air filter, header and bigger radiator with electronic fan.
Air conditioning has also been installed.
In the interior we have JBR recliner racing seats and a Blaupunkt music system.

And here are some pictures:
Hi, I am from Guwahati and loved your gypsy. I am interested in getting a gypsy from auto attitudes as well. Kindly let me know a few things specifically about the gypsies restored by auto attitudes:

1) Reliability of the engine and any issues faced.
2) Cost of the vehicle
3) Registration process and cost involved.

Thanks in advance
Old 2nd March 2022, 19:34   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_hungry View Post
Hi, I am from Guwahati and loved your gypsy. I am interested in getting a gypsy from auto attitudes as well. Kindly let me know a few things specifically about the gypsies restored by auto attitudes:

1) Reliability of the engine and any issues faced.
2) Cost of the vehicle
3) Registration process and cost involved.

Thanks in advance
Hi,
Auto Attitudes is one of the best places to get a Gypsy from. There is not much to worry about anything as Mr Amanpreet supervises all the builds himself. As per your queries:-

1. The reliability of the engine is good and there is not much drama in that department. I have faced a few issues (newbie alert) but most of them were due to my own doings. Issues faced were pretty normal such as the 4x4 lever got stuck once, spark plugs picking up oil as there was too much engine oil, a few electrical issues courtesy water wading and rats. Till now I have changed the battery once and the periodic maintenance, that's about it.

2. The cost of the vehicle will depend on what you are looking for in the vehicle. The stock ex-army vehicles will cost you around 5-6 Lakhs. The price would increase if you more modifications or additions are done to the vehicle.

3. As for the registration, you will get HP registration for 15 years. I am not sure about the registration cost as the rules have changed since the time I have got the car. You can contact Amanpreet for the exact details and the process.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Regards,
Akash
Akash_1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 21:49   #1529
BHPian

Thanks for the reply to my queries. I have booked a restored stock gypsy from Vroom vroom restoration, will post the experience once it is delivered.
Old 11th June 2022, 18:40   #1530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash_1806 View Post
3. As for the registration, you will get HP registration for 15 years. I am not sure about the registration cost as the rules have changed since the time I have got the car. You can contact Amanpreet for the exact details and the process.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Regards,
Akash
Hi Akash,
What is the year of manufacturing printed on your RC?
I believe the rule is against year of manufacturing (10D/15P) and not validity of registration.

Most Viewed