Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 07:53   #16

Note from Mod : Please avoid typing in excessive dots...........like..........this...............Th anks

Thanks for your views and suggestions friends....

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
Dear Mr.Virgin ;-),
First please take any jeep out for a spin for atleast 100 kms in various terrains, talk to the owner about the ownership experience and then start thinking about it. Its totally depends on the individual's preferance of taste/expectations/comfort/distance/terrain/money and finally the amount of time you can spare in the mechanic's shed.
Jeeps can either 'Rule' or make you a 'Fool'
Dr.Jones
Dr.Jones, Thatz a very good idea which is in my thoughts. I will be starting with checking out the garages and speaking to the people with experience of Jeeps.

BTW any ideas of good place where to approach people and their machines in Bangalore???

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
I am assuming that you must have driven, if not owned, a non-jeep vehicle in the past. If you have, then i personally don't think there should be any problem with jeep being your first vehicle.

Afterall, you cannot learn swimming without entering the waters, can you.

Cheers.
Dear racingmachine
Yes. I had driven cars in the past, though they are not mine.......But I never had a long drive on Indian roads by Car....... I am a biker and had driven places like BLR-Mysore-Chickmagalur and beyond by motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
If this is your first car than always go with what heart says. Otherwise next time whenever you see a Jeep you will regreat yourself.

I would suggest do not buy new Jeep instead go for used. Later in the past you can make decesion youself whether to keep it or sell it or buy new jeep or car
Dear pawan
Looks like our ideas sync. That is my very idea..... I don't like regretting for something which I didn't do inspite of the chance and capability....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
I would like to know about your experience with jeeps. I own a mm540 and a M800. My personal thought is one cannot use a jeep for all purpose and your family members will not be comfortable with its ride quality. i love driving my jeep but my dad have it as a second option only. It depends on ones personal taste and wish.

I never got a chance to drive a Jeep...every time I see a beautiful Jeep passing by, I keep staring at it envying the person who is enjoying the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
My first car(??) was a MM Classic. I feel claustrophobic in a car(??)

Yeah...may be that tends to happen when you have an open top with no difference of inside-outside.....

Last edited by GTO : 28th January 2010 at 15:58. Reason: See Mod note in your post
Old 28th January 2010, 09:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginbronco View Post
...How good is to have a Jeep as a first car??? and what kind of Jeeps can fit for a naive driver to start with?....
Can't stop but replying as your situation is not much different than what mine was. I learnt driving around a year before i took the plunge to have a jeep. I drove our other family vehicle, an Alto for few thousand kms till then. When the thought of jeep came to my mind even i myself was not sure whether i was taking a 'logical' decision. But then sometimes passion and interest defy any logic and eventually i went for one and using the vehicle now on a regular basis. My few suggestion (not as a jeeper or offroader as there are many experts, but as a newbie who couldn't resist the temptation to own a jeep):
1. Better to go for longer wheelbase jeeps like 540/550/440 than the short wheelbase ones as the formers have better ride quality
2. A 5 speed gearbox will ease the difficulties tremendously for a new jeep user, but dont sacrifice the 4 wheel drive capability.
3. Have good quality seats with seatbelts
4. Don't put oversized tyres, put the ones with decent widths. That way even without a PS it wont be that heavy on the steering.
5. In stead of doing rigorous modification to make the jeep more offroad friendly, try to emphasize on the stuffs that make the jeep reliable so that you don't need to run to workshops every now and then and feel more confident to take your jeep anytime/anywhere you want
6. Dont rush. The initial euphoria is very difficult to resist but think wisely to go for a good workshop/mechanic who can be trusted upon.

In my personal opinion, if you are ready to devote a good time and wait patiently to build your jeep properly once as per your preference and have the mindset that this is not a modern car but a vehicle with mostly obsolete technologies, you can definitely live with it as the 1st car.

Rest you can check my thread as mine was done in a similar fashion: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-mm-440-a.html

-best of luck,
Old 29th January 2010, 08:07   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
1. Better to go for longer wheelbase jeeps like 540/550/440 than the short wheelbase ones as the formers have better ride quality
2. A 5 speed gearbox will ease the difficulties tremendously for a new jeep user, but dont sacrifice the 4 wheel drive capability.
3. Have good quality seats with seatbelts
4. Don't put oversized tyres, put the ones with decent widths. That way even without a PS it wont be that heavy on the steering.
5. In stead of doing rigorous modification to make the jeep more offroad friendly, try to emphasize on the stuffs that make the jeep reliable so that you don't need to run to workshops every now and then and feel more confident to take your jeep anytime/anywhere you want
6. Dont rush. The initial euphoria is very difficult to resist but think wisely to go for a good workshop/mechanic who can be trusted upon.
-best of luck,
Much valuable suggestions Kandisa. I will definitely keep my patience and I know that I am in the begining phase of learning now.

BTW, Very interesting and valuable informtion you have in your thread.
Old 20th February 2010, 23:12   #19
BHPian

Hi virginbronco,
Its nice to know that you are planning for a jeep as your first vehicle. Believe me, I too was in a similar situation and I chose to go for it. Today, I'm a proud owner of a Mahindra CJ500D 4WD, LWB with B275 engine.
I used to drive my friend's maruti car before but, when I started driving my jeep (it took 2-3 days to get accustomed to the vague handling though!) I really enjoyed it and, the jeep behaved just the way I wanted it to.
1. Proved that they are never in a hurry,
2. Rattled and squeeked just the way I expected,
3. Scared the hell out of the rogue Autorickshaw drivers beyond my expectation! and,
4. My parents love the Jeep ride and always find some excuses to take it out for a joyride.
Probably I will have a tough time driving a sophisticated car henceforth
Well, Go for it and you will not regret.

Warm regards,
Sudhir.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Virginbronco,

I always wanted Jeep to be my first car and the only car. I had one also. It was a practical hard top MM540 DP 4wd. I loved that jeep. I was studying then. Jeep started giving problems like busted engine. Had no money, sold it and dad bought me a Wagon R. Later couldn't make it as my only vehicle due to family issues

You will be happy with jeep as your first and only vehicle if you-
  • Live with small niggling problems (Depends upon the kind of jeep you buy new/ old)
  • If you are prepared to keep a jeep as a jeep not an SUV
  • Spend lot of time and money for its up keep (Depends upon condition of the jeep you buy)
  • You don't care about NVH this noise that noise n all
  • You have wife/old parents who appreciate jeep and can live with discomfort
  • and last but not the least- How much you love driving your jeep!!
p.s- I love driving my jeep more than my Wagon R. But i feel i must put A/c at least to pass it off as a regular car. In Chennai it is horribly hot! But there are guys who don't mind even this, like my good old friend Arka. So it depends , lay your priorities!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 22nd February 2010 at 10:33.
Old 23rd February 2010, 01:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

BTW any ideas of good place where to approach people and their machines in Bangalore???
Yeah, here. You can search this site for Banga-lauriates through the member search. Also, just look at some of the bigger threads and you will find a few learned and much respected jeepers from B-lore. You can message them. Bang maybe the best place in India to get mechanical help for jeeps.

Quote:
... I am a biker and had driven places like BLR-Mysore-Chickmagalur and beyond by motorcycle.
If you get a jeep with a fold down windshield you can still savor the taste of bugs in your teeth that you enjoy on your two wheeler. Protein is protein, nothing to get squeamish about, 'ay? Keep the bike you will probably need it as back up.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 23rd February 2010 at 01:43.
Old 23rd February 2010, 04:02   #22
BHPian

Jeep as a my frist drive as well.

My frist drive will be a Jeep, that is for sure.
Points that I would consider are:
1. Your daily drive is less than 20Kms or less than an hour (if greater then you need better nvh). Will not work if you club phone and driving, my ex boss would complete all his calls on his drive to office, he drives a city
2. Love for Jeep - Its is a must, if you are drooling over those weak dainty girls who call themselves as models then think again.
3. Your family is OK with a Jeep ride.
4. Enjoys a nice good workout (long drives)
5. Last but the most important, Jeep is like a baby, needs your attention, care & pampering. It is not like a modern car or bathroom slippers that you use and do not bother.
Bottom line my friend - Follow your heart, your ride has a life if you love it.
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
virginbronco, for the most part we 4X4 guys are a very approachable lot. I have had conversations with various people at signals, traffic jams etc.

Though i must say that i have met a few "show jeepers" who acted like they were doing me a favor by just looking at me!!
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:04   #24
BHPian

hi virgin,

my daily vehicle is a gypsy and i enjoy driving that.ofcourse my max drive is less than 10km-office-home-but when iam travelling to native also -abt 600km one side i prefer this one.especially when iam alone.when travelk with family the only problem is the HOT and the bumpy shocks.otherwise iam ok.If Arka in chennai is using a Jeep for his daily use in bangalore you can surely think of.

Raj
Old 23rd February 2010, 13:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
You will be happy with jeep as your first and only vehicle if you-
  • Live with small niggling problems (Depends upon the kind of jeep you buy new/ old)
  • If you are prepared to keep a jeep as a jeep not an SUV
  • Spend lot of time and money for its up keep (Depends upon condition of the jeep you buy)
  • You don't care about NVH this noise that noise n all
  • You have wife/old parents who appreciate jeep and can live with discomfort
  • and last but not the least- How much you love driving your jeep!!
+ 100 to that. The single most governing factor is the 'love & enjoyment' part, otherwise by logic and reasoning, its not a sane choice And thankfully my jeep don't make me feel tired on my 35+35 km drive to office or even on a much longer ride.
Old 23rd February 2010, 13:57   #26
BANNED

Somethings you should be ready for when you get a Jeep as your only drive:

1. Colleagues at work will question your choice from what you wear to what you eat.

2. The folks in the apartment will complain about oil stains in the parking lot.

3. You will get envious glances from drivers in cars.

4. People will think you are a happy and content guy - envy again.

5. Parkers at valets will hesitate to take the keys - I never Valet park though.

6. The prettier sex will give you the wry smiles. From 16 year olds to 30+ woman.

7. You will stop using deodrants or any other smell good stuff.

8. Everyday you will first check the Jeep and then only take a bath.

9. You will not wear formal clothes ever.

10. Friends will pick your vehicle to help them move house.

11. Your vehicle will be the last one on the list while planning a long drive.

12. Your vehicle will be the first one on the list while planning a travel during the rains.

13. You will never be invited to fashion shows.

14. You will be the first to be invited for every birthday.

15. Everytime your friends see a Jeep on the road they will remember you.

16. People will never forget you.

17. Your parents will wonder whats wrong with your choice.

18. You will most probably have a love marraige.

19. All the kids in the colony will know you but not your name and will call you Jeep Uncle.

20. You will never sell your Jeep.

The above is my practical experience while having owned 2 vehicles a Mahindra Classic and a Mahindra Bolero.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:07   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome stuff there Spitfire. Most of the stuff pretty much rings absolutely true!
Old 25th February 2010, 15:11   #28
BHPian

100% agree with spitfire. I have similar experiences after i shifted from Wagon R to MM540 restored by me ( my link given below).
I never drove a Jeep in my life, but some how got attached to it. I am using it as a First & last vehicle (will never sell my Jeep). I drive to Office, as usual strange look for some time, but people will surely remember you. When ever you meet your friends after a long time the first question they ask will be "hows your jeep doing".
If you heart says "Jeep" & if you love it, everything else will become small issue, be it taking to mechnics every alternative day, or people looking at you strangly or to reach last on any trip, you will enjyoy.
I have driven 6000 Kms in 5 months now including Trip to Kerala, Tirupathi.
The first thing i will do if i get some money is to buy one more.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-mm-540-a.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks