Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2010, 08:32   #1

What about Jeep as a first vehicle...???

Hi guyz....

As I am now deeply motivated towards Jeeps, I have one big question in mind......

How good is to have a Jeep as a first car??? and what kind of Jeeps can fit for a naive driver to start with?

Like to know your suggestions on this from you people..
Old 26th January 2010, 10:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

let Jeep be not your first vehicle, you can have maruti 800, Alto, Zen etc as your first vehicle.
Old 26th January 2010, 11:39   #3
BHPian

Dear Mr.Virgin ;-),
First please take any jeep out for a spin for atleast 100 kms in various terrains, talk to the owner about the ownership experience and then start thinking about it. Its totally depends on the individual's preferance of taste/expectations/comfort/distance/terrain/money and finally the amount of time you can spare in the mechanic's shed.
Jeeps can either 'Rule' or make you a 'Fool'
Dr.Jones
Old 26th January 2010, 13:52   #4
BHPian

I am assuming that you must have driven, if not owned, a non-jeep vehicle in the past. If you have, then i personally don't think there should be any problem with jeep being your first vehicle.

Afterall, you cannot learn swimming without entering the waters, can you.

Cheers.
Old 26th January 2010, 14:05   #5
BHPian

If this is your first car than always go with what heart says. Otherwise next time whenever you see a Jeep you will regreat yourself.

I would suggest do not buy new Jeep instead go for used. Later in the past you can make decesion youself whether to keep it or sell it or buy new jeep or car
Old 26th January 2010, 19:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginbronco View Post
Hi guyz....

As I am now deeply motivated towards Jeeps, I have one big question in mind......

How good is to have a Jeep as a first car??? and what kind of Jeeps can fit for a naive driver to start with?

I would like to know about your experience with jeeps. I own a mm540 and a M800. My personal thought is one cannot use a jeep for all purpose and your family members will not be comfortable with its ride quality. i love driving my jeep but my dad have it as a second option only. It depends on ones personal taste and wish.
Old 26th January 2010, 19:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

When I was learning driving, people used to say that you should learn in driving in a jeep ! Why? Drive one and see. Its all mechanical and you control things.

Want more comfort try Bolero or Invader.
Old 26th January 2010, 20:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

This depends on what jeep you looking to buy.

If its a more recent model, it will be little more reliable. Otherwise brace yourself for vague steering, uneven braking, body roll, squeaks and rattles.

ONe thing is for certain, once you drive a Jeep you can drive almost any other car/LMV. Plus you dont have to bother about the autowallas scraping you.

Another thing could happen - Once you go Jeep, you never go back.
Old 26th January 2010, 20:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guyz....

Jeeps are tough to drive and can tire you faster than a car. Because they don't have AC or PS unless its fitted extra and they're more noisy.

Also old jeeps bought used might need some work to be done it to make it more reliable and easier to live with. Check out Samurai's How to Live with a CJ340 thread for more details. Cars are easier to maintain and drive daily if you are not the type who likes to spend some time with your vehicle.

Other than what i have mentioned above i do not see anything that would prohibit a newbie driver from taking to the Jeep.
Old 26th January 2010, 20:38   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I can tell you one thing : If you live with the Jeep as your first car, even a Maruti 800 will feel modern (NVH, ergonomics etc.). I think the Jeep is a pretty good choice for a new driver. For one, it doesn't really have any power, so less chance of you getting in trouble. Second, as someone else posted, a Jeep is "pure mechanical" and will build you a solid automotive foundation. Then, you don't have to worry about damaging the Jeep over your learning days. Jeeps are abuse friendly.

And finally, when you do eventually buy a modern car, you will appreciate that new car like never before. Take my word on it.
Old 26th January 2010, 20:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And finally, when you do eventually buy a modern car, you will appreciate that new car like never before. Take my word on it.
Dear Rush, IIRC wasnt the RUSH your 1st car? I mean not considering other family cars, but Truly Yours 1st.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:15   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Dear Rush, IIRC wasnt the RUSH your 1st car? I mean not considering other family cars, but Truly Yours 1st.
Sure was, Svsanthosh. The Jeep was my first personal use vehicle (i.e. a car that only I drove). From '97 to start of '01, it was my primary mode of transport (to college & then to work). Looking back, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:16   #13
BANNED

My first car(??) was a MM Classic. I feel claustrophobic in a car(??)
Old 27th January 2010, 21:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guyz....

it's up to you. whether you can handle it or not. indian jeeps (not boleros, invaders etc.) are very basic & are more or less no different from a truck which is great, because it's purely mechanical stuff...everything is up to you.

also, as a naive driver you will have the advantage of a slow vehicle, less damages (the other car will be heavily damaged). but you will not have anything of a modern car. it's even older than 'akbar the great'. so think & act, have a TD & select the car because the 1st car is always special.
Old 27th January 2010, 22:59   #15
BHPian

My first car Ex-Army MM550. Its the only thing i drive now. Started learning to drive in a LHD willys Jeep that my Dad used to own but sold off. And I haven't yet driven any other car though we have a Santro and Alto at home. So I guess its the passion that drives you to get a Jeep as a first car and drive it.
My thoughts when i first saw a Army 550 (think i was still in college then) : " I don't care if that car is comfortable or not, too hot or too cold , too susceptible to dust or water leakage, max speed above 100kmph or less than 50kmph... Its going to be my first car "
So right now I'm still single because I'm too much in love with my jeep

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks