Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2010, 01:05   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
A Brand New Gypsy King MPFi takes the THAR head on all the issues. With Better Seats, better Gearbox. You can take your family trips as well as mild OTRs. THAR is not Unique Sir!

I cannot understand the issues like crumple zones, airbags, parachutes etc in these kind of vehicles.
True headers:
New Gypsy King MPFi is an option for Thar, but to what I understand and correct me if I am wrong,
1. With the new emmision standards, Gypsy cannot be registered in cities, ok may be with MPFi emmission norms can be achieved.
2. Driving comforts of Gypsy will be way below Thar
3. Highway crusing of Gypsy will be below Thar
4. Road presence of Gypsy Vs 540 looks,. hmm (this could be very personal)
5. Yes, Gypsy may be a better option for off roading, but we have not seen Thar off roads yet,.
Yes, I got carried away with airbags,. this was only because of highway crusing.
Old 30th January 2010, 08:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
5. Yes, Gypsy may be a better option for off roading, but we have not seen Thar off roads yet,.

GreyBerry,

Your opinion is reserved as of now between the two which is a very right thing to do under the circumstances that you need to drive both vehicles to judge.
I have driven a Gypsy and love it especially the compact size advantage when off-roading.
After you drive THAR or see it's off road performance from the front seat, like I did...it will beat the hell out of anybody's imagination that it could be done without the 4WD ever being engaged on that terrain, that day.

Forgive me for it but my view is changed and I feel very awkward when someone puts Gypsy and Thar in the same leauge....They are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINUMON View Post
Fazalji and others, I am repeating my querry that was placed on the other thread. Any idea on how well the Thar is faring overseas?
Vinumon,
No idea how THAR fared overseas, even Mr. Behram would not know I feel as it a totally different department which handles overseas affairs.
Regards,
Old 30th January 2010, 10:34   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post

GreyBerry,
Your opinion-----, that day.

Forgive me for it but my view is changed and I feel very awkward when someone puts Gypsy and Thar in the same leauge....They are not.
Regards,
Fazal Bhai, I respect your opinion and am very glad that you being the only Mahindra-external-person who have driven Thar is ranking it so high.
Gypsy is a good vehicle and can be considered as an alternate or a different leauge, anyways it is not my cup of tea.
My only option are either rebuild a army used mm550 or buy a Thar.
The reason for the above choice is as follows:
Right now I can afford only one vehicle - either a Thar or buy and rebuild an army used mm550.
I understand and know the advantages of buying a new vehicle like Thar - which are, reliability, advanced technology, all in one vehicle which is important for single vehicle owner and so on.
Now the disadvantages of rebuilding an army mm550 is - I do not have the time, sourcing of original parts, poor reliability when compared with a new Thar, etc,.
Coming to my concern - say after two years I can afford a highway vehicle, then the Jeep I own will become a full time OTR vehicle - so the question is, will Thar perform in par with an army mm550 (rebuilt and pimped up for OTR)??
By-the-way I think I get too analytical and plan for the future instead of living in the present.
Thank you in advance for all your support in my long decision process , will treat you when I buy my Jeep.
Old 30th January 2010, 10:47   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Mr. Behram,

Is it a bad idea to offer the export-spec Thar's suspension package as a Mahindra Custom package option?
Old 31st January 2010, 09:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

When I was at Mahindra, Khandivili plant for the test drive of the LEGEND in 2006, photography was a allowed here.
Regards,
THAR: My test drive experience.-legend.jpg
Old 31st January 2010, 10:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
True headers:
New Gypsy King MPFi is an option for Thar, but to what I understand and correct me if I am wrong,
1. With the new emmision standards, Gypsy cannot be registered in cities, ok may be with MPFi emmission norms can be achieved.
2. Driving comforts of Gypsy will be way below Thar
3. Highway crusing of Gypsy will be below Thar
4. Road presence of Gypsy Vs 540 looks,. hmm (this could be very personal)
Yes, I got carried away with airbags,. this was only because of highway crusing.
The Gypsy can match THAR on the Highways. Both have similar top end.

Driving comfort will vary as two are 2 different platforms and dissimilar suspension packages.

The THAR has to have a basic minimal offroad capability. It has a great engine and GB, but the underpinnings reveal a lot, especially after seeing it in flesh!

Having a great engine that has oodles of Torque does not matter. What matters is whether the vehicle is able to tackle rough terrain - I'm not talking roads here!

If one is just looking at estates travelling such as in the Nilgiris and Coorg etc, then the THAR makes sense as it is a no nonsense vehicle.
Old 1st February 2010, 15:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

@Fazalaliadil- Sir, so finally your comments on the Thar are out, i remember when you saw the underbody of the vehicles displayed in the porch area, within few minitues you were quick to point out that "Hmm so the front end is of scorpio and the rear from bolero", i got the taste of a man (read Jeep restorer) we were meeting.

OT-do you remember a young boy sitting beside you in the co-drivers seat when you were doing back to back handling tests at the test track

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 1st February 2010 at 15:27.
Old 1st February 2010, 15:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Fazal bhai,

It is always a great pleasure to see your write ups. Coming from you about THAR, definitely is a point proven about the product!
Old 1st February 2010, 16:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Fazalaliadil- Sir, so finally your comments on the Thar are out, i remember when you saw the underbody of the vehicles displayed in the porch area, within few minitues you were quick to point out that "Hmm so the front end is of scorpio and the rear from bolero", i got the taste of a man (read Jeep restorer) we were meeting.
OT-do you remember a young boy sitting beside you in the co-drivers seat when you were doing back to back handling tests at the test track
Spike
Spike,
Of course, I remember you very well, you and I were the only ones in the Jeep when I was doing the figure 8 in the LHD THAR.
Also you were the part of the bigger team in the RHD THAR. We were introduced as T-BHP comrades, Remember?
Just that I did not know your user name. Nice one though.
Thank you too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Fazal bhai,
It is always a great pleasure to see your write ups. Coming from you about THAR, definitely is a point proven about the product!
Getsurya,
Long time buddy, where have you been?
I am thankful for your trust and confidence in my judgment relating to THAR. Neither are over rated or will let you down, take my word for it.
Regards,
Old 1st February 2010, 18:03   #40
BHPian

Thanks Fazal

Thanks fazal; that’s indeed quite a hope for all our jeep-lovers in this country. Lucky that you’ve laid your hands around this gorgeous sprinter / crawler.

I wish Mahindra infuses some few essential creature-comforts as well in the Thar to make it more versatile, suitable for both on-road and off-road.

I will buy a Thar no matter what…but I wish they offer us options like a flexible / detachable hard fibre top…something like the Jeep Wrangler…a 4 piece roof panes…this should help us in using the vehicle in harsh / tropical city conditions….heat /noise /dust-insulation.

I hope somebody from Mahindra is reading this.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st February 2010 at 18:08. Reason: Please avoid copy pasting from external editors like MS word etc, thanks
Old 1st February 2010, 18:48   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader View Post
I wish they offer us options like a flexible / detachable hard fibre top…something like the Jeep Wrangler…a 4 piece roof panes…this should help us in using the vehicle in harsh / tropical city conditions….heat /noise /dust-insulation.

I hope somebody from Mahindra is reading this.
It may not be as flexible as Wrangler's but this is what Mahindra is offering in European markets.
Old 1st February 2010, 20:11   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader View Post
…but I wish they offer us options like a flexible / detachable hard fibre top…something like the Jeep Wrangler…a 4 piece roof panes….
Does Wrangler hard top is a 4 piece one? I thought It is a single moulded fiber top
Old 1st February 2010, 21:05   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Does Wrangler hard top is a 4 piece one? I thought It is a single moulded fiber top
The latest version of the wrangler has a four piece unlike the earlier single peice.
Old 1st February 2010, 21:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

@Fazalaliadil- thank you so much, i remember the figure of 8 taken by you also your braking in the corners

guys, if the HT version is being offered by Mahindra in export version what is so big deal in giving the same in a domestic version? good question though, come on guys give it a thought, you are almost there...

Spike
Old 1st February 2010, 21:39   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
guys, if the HT version is being offered by Mahindra in export version what is so big deal in giving the same in a domestic version? good question though, come on guys give it a thought, you are almost there...
A new part number?

Last edited by Samurai : 1st February 2010 at 21:40.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed