Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2010, 21:07   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If they are going to put a new engine, they may as well offer a diesel choice.
Old 1st February 2010, 21:33   #32
Team-BHP Support

Dont think new engine is going to happen, mostly reworked engine to meet the norms.
Old 1st February 2010, 21:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Dont think new engine is going to happen, mostly reworked engine to meet the norms.
So due to this rework, should we expect the bharat 4 gypsy to be a little more pricier than it is now?
Old 1st February 2010, 21:48   #34
Team-BHP Support

Hey this is just a rumor/ insider info claims, so pricing and all your guess will be as good as mine. ie if it make it out.
Old 1st February 2010, 21:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

So the Gypsy is the only vehicle which is gonna be powered by the BS4 G13B? It doesn't make sense to me why Maruti would take the trouble of making the G13B BS4 compliant only for the sake of the Gypsy!
Old 1st February 2010, 21:52   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster 4x4 View Post
Yes, In fact today I spoke to someone pretty reliable at MSIL. He was fairly certain that the Gypsy would not be discontinued for civilians anytime in the foreseeable future. There are talks within MSIL to make some modifications (he will try to check details) to ensure it conforms to the new emission standards. He is fairly certain that the G13 engine would not be replaced by the K series. So guess there's enough cause for celebration here!
Yup this is cause for celebration. I wonder when will they come with an official confirmation !

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Thats a good news. Gypsy is a living legend. Like Japanese Samurais & Ninjas..

BTW, Can you pls get some info regarding its length? Is it possible to make it under 4m to avail some benefits.
Whats with the 4m length reduction, dont get it !
Old 1st February 2010, 22:23   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy4u View Post
Whats with the 4m length reduction, dont get it !
From the earlier posts I can say that the Gypsy can get some Excise benefit if its length is under 4.0 m. (So that its cost will be lesser due to reduced Taxes) Currently its something 4010 mm. So just has to reduce 10-12 mm somehow.

I guess if Maruti removes rear spare wheel mount from tail gate, then I guess it is possible to come under 4m ?? I am not too sure about it..

Experts comments pls.
Old 2nd February 2010, 00:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

they can remove the spare wheel mount and offer it as an after sale add on for people who want to have the spare wheel on the tail gate.
Old 2nd February 2010, 00:12   #39
BHPian

There could be 2 reasons why Maruti will invest in Gypsy to make it Bharat Stage IV compliant and still saving the G13BB engine:

1) For police and other govt. department vehicles especially for Mountainous states like HP,JK,etc.
2) Gypsy in Rallies provides maruti suzuki publicity/Adv and that's the reason they sponser Raid de Himalaya every year.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Amar82 : 2nd February 2010 at 00:25.
Old 2nd February 2010, 08:25   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
There could be 2 reasons why Maruti will invest in Gypsy to make it Bharat Stage IV compliant and still saving the G13BB engine:

1) For police and other govt. department vehicles especially for Mountainous states like HP,JK,etc.
2) Gypsy in Rallies provides maruti suzuki publicity/Adv and that's the reason they sponser Raid de Himalaya every year.

Just my 2 cents.
Point 1 does not require the BS IV norms. HP/JK are not in the list of places in which the BS IV emission norms will be implemented.

agree with point 2, a rally without a Gypsy cannot be imagined !
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:46   #41
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had a chance meeting yesterday with a Maruti dealer salesman, confirmed that Gypsy is coming with a tweaked engine to match norms and everything else remains same.
Old 2nd February 2010, 16:55   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Maruthi should understand that the civilian sales are low since they don't really bother to sell it or have not bothered to plonk in a deisel engine.
The only two diesel engines Maruti has ever sold, in its 26 year existence, are the Peugeot TUD5 and the Fiat 1.3 MJD. Either of these engines are terrible matches for the Gypsy. A 1.8 - 2.0 liter turbo common-rail with 350 NM of torque would be a dream come true in that light body.

Alas, Suzuki's expertise is only in petrols. And I doubt Fiat will accept such a small India-specific order for the 1.9 MJD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy4u View Post
what about Gypsy supply to non BS IV cities ?
Just as per Mahindra practices, non BS IV Gypsies will surely be sold in non BS 1V cities.

Quote:
A MASS guy informed (from his contacts in factory) that R&D is happening for making Gypsy Euro IV compliant.
I hope your information is correct and mine isn't. However, from the business point of view, why would Maruti spend $$$ on the emissions compliance of an engine that has been discontinued in other mass sellers (e.g. Swift).

Also, does the engine still have it to meet the new stringent norms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
I guess if Maruti removes rear spare wheel mount from tail gate, then I guess it is possible to come under 4m ?? I am not too sure about it..
All they have to do is look at a particular Khan's Gypsy . Me thinks its well under 4,000 mm.
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:58   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I hope your information is correct and mine isn't. However, from the business point of view, why would Maruti spend $$$ on the emissions compliance of an engine that has been discontinued in other mass sellers (e.g. Swift).
Yeah same here, wish its true. What we heard was that mod's to EGR and tweaking to ECU will do it for now.

Wild guess: Swift might be a different case, since its a different class of vehicle altogether which will attract slightly more stringent rules + the competition offering better engines. They have the K series and its the right mid life make over to keep the sales numbers ringing.

With Gypsy and no other options around, kutch bhi chaltha hein, anything goes.
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:09   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The only two diesel engines Maruti has ever sold,....

Just as per Mahindra practices, non BS IV Gypsies will surely be sold in non BS 1V cities.

I hope your information is correct and mine isn't. However, from the business point of view, why would Maruti spend $$$ ..........

I personally have never liked the diesel engines from Maruti !

If non BS IV Gypsies will surely be sold in non BS IV cities then there is no problem at all. Nowhere have they mentioned that you cannot run a Non BS IV vehicle in a BS IV city !

Buy and register from another city and drive in your BS IV city.

Maruti will spend $$$ to tap the huge pool of government orders !
Old 4th February 2010, 00:26   #45
BHPian

Today I inquired from a dealer in Ludhiana "Gulzar Motors" and they said "you cannot get any other color except white"? Does that mean MSIL is just clearing the last lot of BSIII GYPSY's left and no new production is happening?

Will Gypsy loose some BHP even with G13BB engine in process of making it BSIV complaint?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks