Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Does the heater switch on automatically when you switch on the ignition key? if yes, then the volt meter will show 8-10v when you switch on the ignition. voltage drop is due to heater functioning. wait for a while till the heater cuts off, then you will see 12v. then only you should crank. So if the heater is pulling the battery voltage down to below 10v, then the heater is functioning well.
Vijay - In my CJ340, the ignition ON position is @ 12. When I press heater, it drops to 11 (NOT less). It heats up in less then 20 seconds, and running goes upto ~13.5 (approx). Does it mean my heater is weak? Please advise...
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Vijay - In my CJ340, the ignition ON position is @ 12. When I press heater, it drops to 11 (NOT less). It heats up in less then 20 seconds, and running goes upto ~13.5 (approx). Does it mean my heater is weak? Please advise...
there are different qualities in heater plugs in the market santosh. the one which draws more current or which pulls down more voltage will take very less time to heat up.. mine takes 10 sec to start with single crank, but draws more current. and the one which draws very less current or pulls down very less voltage will take longer time to heat up.
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:
there are different qualities in heater plugs in the market santosh. the one which draws more current or which pulls down more voltage will take very less time to heat up.. mine takes 10 sec to start with single crank, but draws more current. and the one which draws very less current or pulls down very less voltage will take longer time to heat up.
I own a 96 model mm540 4wd but in my case there is a self heater which takes less than 5 secs to heat up and the engine starts in a single crank. I wonder how does a vehicle which came one year aft mine does not have a self heater? pardon me if i am wrong
Old 3rd February 2010, 13:24   #19
BHPian

Thank you every one…, you are very quick and your comments are so helpful.

I paid around 97000/- for the vehicle and about the back door sticker even I noticed just now,good catch, I will change it soon. The odometer reading shows 85000 KM, looks like it is correct.

Regarding the modification-The vehicle is nearing 15 years life time so I need to get the fitness certificate.
Before I produce it for the fitness test am actually planning to go
for a repaint (Suggest me a good color) and probably
change the tyres and get good set of extra lights as well.
Soon I will get the vehicle to a mechanic check the plugs and glowplugs,
can any one tell me in Bangalore where I can buy OE plugs or any other good plugs.

@vinod_nookala
1. I will go back and try out the possibilities once again regarding the joint star noise and post it here.
Regarding the oil leak ,I will show this to a mechanic soon,Thanks for the nice catch
@4x4addict
Yes, It looks like time up for changing the piston rings.
@bigman
Yes I will check the heater plugs and the glow timers.
@star_aqua
Yes If I drive the vehicle for few KM’s the vehicle starts in single crank.
I will check if there is any smoke coming out from the hose and post it here.
Thanks
Siju
Old 3rd February 2010, 14:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Siju this machine looks in great shape, any idea how many kms it has done?Spike
@spike 80,715 Kms

Siju nice buy. What is the oil pressure guage show on warm engine idle?
The body condition looks good. Are you repainting it because you don't like the color??
single crank on a warm engine is good. Check out the battery condition at a battery dealer and then the glow plugs at a mechanic.

regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 3rd February 2010 at 14:57.
Old 3rd February 2010, 15:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
You got a nice looking jeep there. Just one query. The rear picture of the jeep looks like an international. Well guess its the way the tires look and the roof makes it look like that.

@Fazal

Regarding the coorg wildlife society sticker this is a very commonly faked picture in coorg atleast. Like a trend to put up these pictures even though you arent members! Am not sure in this situation though
The stickers are not fake. If you have that sticker on your 2/4 wheeler it means you are a coorgi/kodava.
Old 3rd February 2010, 15:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
@spike 80,715 Kms

Siju nice buy. What is the oil pressure guage show on warm engine idle?
The body condition looks good. Are you repainting it because you don't like the color??
single crank on a warm engine is good. Check out the battery condition at a battery dealer and then the glow plugs at a mechanic.

regards
Hi,
Thank you deutscheafrikar,I think the oil pressure shows between 4-5 i guess,will go back and check,can you tell me whats reason behind this?
am repainting this just for the RTO sake,i heard they wont give the fitness certificate it seems,yea i will check all those with a mechanic and a battaery dealer.

Thanks
Siju
Old 4th February 2010, 00:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Siju the body condition and the colour looks good in the photos. Unless it's green I don't think the RTO would object to it. In Mumbai I've always got the 5 year fitness cert without taking the vehicle for testing. Doesn't cost much more but saves my day at the RTO and fuel to and fro. So the agent does it.
As for your warm idle oil pressure if its 4 to 5 then its good. No need to touch the engine I think. So check the battery first and then the glow plugs at the mechanic. It might save you from changing rings. The good oil pressure shows that the main bearings are good in that case so will be the condition of the rest of the engine.
Good luck to you
Old 4th February 2010, 13:25   #24
BHPian

Congrats on your buy sir. welcome to the jeepers world filled fully with joy and thrills! your jeep looks clean and very well maintained.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
My comments in bold..

and do you see any smoke from the hose pointed in the below pic?
Hi,
I can see some little smoke coming out from this pipe,any idea why?
Old 10th February 2010, 01:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijuko View Post
Hi,
I can see some little smoke coming out from this pipe,any idea why?
worn out piston rings. you need to change the piston rings.
Old 10th March 2010, 18:20   #27
BHPian

How should i use coolant

Hi,
How will I use coolant in my jeep for eg:should i mix coolant with water and use it(if so what is the ratio) or i can use it without mixing anything,pls suggest me which will be the best coolant for 540?

Thanks

Siju
Old 10th March 2010, 19:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

For your application (70:30 ratio), 70%water 30%coolant would suffice, for vehicle with Aluminium radiator and degassing tank Maximile coolant is preferred, hope it is clear.

Spike
Old 11th March 2010, 17:28   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sijuko - you have got a good vehicle. Please do not open up anything, irrespective of what anybody says. Heater plugs came in 2 configurations for XDP4.90 engine. The first one had a 25 second input time to start, the second one had a 7 second input time to start. The quick heat plugs were introduced in 1997, that too only on select models, that too with an automatic cutoff relay. So, please post underbonnet, instrument panel, ignition switch and wiring harness photographs, I will identify. It is very likely that the information that I have given you just now will not be known to your garage technician and for the sake of doing something, he will do something which may spoil your car. Heater plugs are temperamental parts. If they work, just leave them alone. Somebody will try to open them, the plugs may break in the head and then he will remove the head, finally making you tear your hair. Don't be surprised to read all this. Without wanting to hurt or undermine anybody's capabilities, I can state that I happen to know exactly how garages work. Sad but true.

Rather, please post all photographs, including that of the dipstick after removing it out of the engine but without wiping it. I will remote control your car's behaviour from here, sitting 1500 kms away, in Nasik.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 19th March 2010, 11:06   #30
BHPian

Dear Behram,
Thanks you for the detailed advice,will post the above mentiond photos soon..

Thanks
Siju

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks