Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 12:38   #211
BHPian

Sounds good!
I'll check out your gypsy with diff locks.
Raj, start practicing man! We've got some serious competition!!
Old 9th June 2010, 12:53   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post

1. Underbody anti-rust coating
2. Silicon sealant in strategic locations
4. Remove front and rear bumpers and relocate driving lights
5. waterproof the electricals
8. Manual switch for my condensor fan so I can keep it on even with the ac switched off
9. cover / grille for my Hellas

If fender flares have to come off...so be it!
Do it.

Quote:
3. Remove rear seats to reduce weight
Don't. Gypsy is already light. Many times we need weight for traction. Suggest you to leave them.

Quote:
6. Figure out what needs to be waterproofed in the engine bay
Distributer, Sparks & tupperware like ibrahim.

Quote:
7. LOTS of newspaper on the floor to keep the water from getting into the Heatlon
Bad idea. Even if you spill a bottle of water and the newspapers will get soggy and start stinking. And expect more water to get in.

Nothing will happen to the heatlon with water. Just make sure your drain holes are unclogged.

Other points i suggest:
- unclog drain holes
- check wipers
- check all rubber beadings
- grease grease and grease
- keep lots of dry rags in plastic bags
- fit those wires from bonnet to windshield to keep the branches out
- grease your tow ropes and carry them around in a gunny sack
- if you are removing fender flares, then remove the side skirts as well
Old 9th June 2010, 19:01   #213
Senior - BHPian

Maan, i did not even think of all these things except removing my bumpers.

Sheesh, i feel so stupid!

First, i thought i wont go through the very difficult ones, but Devang was chuckling away, "Boss, ek hi path hai, everyone has to take it, we'll ensure that you have fun"

so i was just planning to come and be behind the steering without much worry, Devang said yest ''Tu tension mat le, tere se sab kuch karvayega"
Old 9th June 2010, 21:49   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Desmo, just remove the bumpers and come ya. Don't take tension. I was just baiting GS.

GS, now that we have taken care of water proofing your car, let's talk about you... get wading boots and don't stuff news papers anywhere...

And come on time! lol
Old 9th June 2010, 22:00   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
and don't stuff news papers anywhere...
Haha!
This was a good one!
Old 9th June 2010, 22:06   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
GS, now that we have taken care of water proofing your car, let's talk about you... get wading boots and don't stuff news papers anywhere...
But Tejas I thought that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I
For me these are the mods:

1. Underbody anti-rust coating
2. Silicon sealant in strategic locations
GS was talking about the mods for himself!
@GS: Sorry could not resist
Old 9th June 2010, 22:30   #217
Senior - BHPian

Bastids...all of you!
Old 22nd August 2010, 18:32   #218
Senior - BHPian

Updates

Some Update on my Zuk.

1 - Front Facing Scorpio Seats (2nd hand of course)
2 - Soft Top (All the Buttons were not available, have alternate button holes with the buttons)
3 - Fitted 2 Rods, one behind B Pillar and one at back. Soft Top is now a bit saggy, so thinking of fitting the middle rod as well.
4 - One small rod over your head in the drivers cabin to avoid the soft top to sag
5 - 5 LEDs Lamps fitted. 1 overhead LED Light. 2 at the footwells and 2 behind the driver seats.

Front Facing seat is ok and much better than the benches. These are mounted on the wheel wells and hence are placed higher. No Rear Vision via the rear view mirror if the rear seats are upright.

Even with that rod to hold the soft top (point 4), water accumulates and falls in whenever i turn the vehicle. Further at high speeds on highways, the soft top keeps fluterring and makes a hell lot of noise. This is the standard maruti soft top that i have put. Cant hear the music properly.

I had brought 2 Thick rods that are generally installed at the back.

The back one is installed on the holes provided.
The one behind the B Pillar was cut from below and installed with brackets to get the original shape for the soft top (adjusted the height and hence the cutting)

LED Lights are very bright and i have connected it to a switch. The whole circuit is connected to the ignition key and will work with the key (to make sure kids dont get in and flick on the switches and drain the battery when parked)

Overall without the hardtop, the vehicle feels light but bouncy as before. SoftTop Noise is irritating, have to get that fixed and due to this uneven shape of the soft top, the top speed has gone down a bit.

Options that i am thinking of.

1 - Get OHC and sell the Gypsy after a couple of months. Family might increase soon and the Zuk is not a great car to tow my family.

2 - Get CFLs and Better Gas Shocks in the coming months and see if Ride Quality improves and whether my family can 'adjust maadi' a bit.

3 - Should i go for Thar? Not so keen to be honest.

4 - Friends suggestion to go for a used small car like old zen and also get another old gypsy. Not so great i think.
Old 22nd August 2010, 18:41   #219
Senior - BHPian

Photos Attached

Attaching a few snaps of the changes done
Attached Thumbnails
Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-22082010256.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-22082010257.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-22082010262.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-22082010263.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-22082010265.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-22082010266.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-22082010268.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-22082010269.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-22082010270.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2010, 14:18   #220
Senior - BHPian

Hi Raj,
Thanks for the update and pictures.
Some questions:
  1. Were those scorpio seats a straight fit? Or did you get the edges chopped to fit them in?
  2. Why did you not get the rod behind the B pillar fitted on the tub directly? Had you done that, it would've also provided you some protection like a roll-cage.
  3. If your idea is to make the Gypsy a family-friendly vehicle, why did you do away with the Hard-Top? Why?
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:02   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
S
5 - 5 LEDs Lamps fitted. 1 overhead LED Light. 2 at the footwells and 2 behind the driver seats.

LED Lights are very bright and i have connected it to a switch. The whole circuit is connected to the ignition key and will work with the key (to make sure kids dont get in and flick on the switches and drain the battery when parked)
more information on the LED lamp .
  • price?
  • what company?
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:05   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
more information on the LED lamp .
  • price?
  • what company?
Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hi Raj,
Thanks for the update and pictures.
Some questions:
  1. Were those scorpio seats a straight fit? Or did you get the edges chopped to fit them in?
  2. Why did you not get the rod behind the B pillar fitted on the tub directly? Had you done that, it would've also provided you some protection like a roll-cage.
  3. If your idea is to make the Gypsy a family-friendly vehicle, why did you do away with the Hard-Top? Why?
Cheers,
Deepak

@Jeepster,

Dont know which company, Price was some 250 odd bucks for each and those are waterproof (that was told to me).

I shall get more details in sometime for you.

Hi Deepak,

How are you doing.

1 - Seats are a straight fit, no chopping off.

2 - I wanted the same, but the rods behind the B Pillar was not fitted directly as then the height would be proper for the soft top to look natural. The raise that you get after the drivers cabin would not look good so it was cut and fixed. It was already done when i went so, couldnt do much about it.

3 - Idea is to make it a comfortable vehicle but not as a total family vehicle as it will never become one . Only if it can improve that ride quality a bit, then i would be in a better state to take my mom dad out within the city, they never come for any out of mumbai drives .
Going to try CFLs if possible.

Regd the hardtop,

1 - looked like an ambulance and felt heavy.
2 - Always wanted an open Gypsy, you know that childish thing which you always wanted. Could do that now so went ahead with it.

Overall, its a killer machine, especially mine is a rocket. Dont feel like parting with it. How i wish i had enough moolah to manage 2 vehicles.
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:27   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
3 - Idea is to make it a comfortable vehicle but not as a total family vehicle as it will never become one . Only if it can improve that ride quality a bit, then i would be in a better state to take my mom dad out within the city, they never come for any out of mumbai drives .
Going to try CFLs if possible.
Here is something that i read, a comment about Bilstein B6 shocks from our goan member Ketla. You might check with him. Also, Rossi is running on CFLs from quite some time. You could check with him too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketla2411 View Post
Krishna, I can say with authority that Bilstein B6 Offroad shocks will do a world of good. Have fitted a set and they have transformed the way my Gypsy handles on and off tarmac even though its running on stock springs. Simply superb. Was considering replacing with CFLs before, but not anymore
Quote:
Regd the hardtop,

1 - looked like an ambulance and felt heavy.
2 - Always wanted an open Gypsy, you know that childish thing which you always wanted. Could do that now so went ahead with it.
Soft-top and family friendly are somewhat mutually exclusive, atleast at my place. So, the question
But ya, i agree to the fact that hard-top doesn't look great. But, definitely very very useful.

Cheers and hoping you hold on to your zuk,
Deepak
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:57   #224
Senior - BHPian

I had gone to TPC 2010 and Vikram (Headers) suggested that Peddars Shocks on OE Leaf is also great. He said its amazing on tarmac. He said just recamber the leaf, thats it.

But i think i shall go for CFLs first and see how it is as many have suggested that.

And oh yes, i want to sir. Its my baby
Old 30th August 2010, 22:29   #225
Senior - BHPian

Where can i get hold of these Bilstein B6 Shocks in Mumbai. Can anyone help.

Furthermore, i am thinking of fabricating a partial cabin that would cover the front seats and that can be made lockable with the back passenger portion covered by a soft top.

Which material should be used to fabricate this to make it durable and not too heavy.

Options are Aluminium, Mild Steel, SS. Not looking for fibre as cost would go up.

Also want to make it in 2 pieces, overhead + back portion so that this can be removed in minutes whenever i want to.

I had seen one Gypsy during AKC (White Gypsy with Black MetalTop)

Looking for advise from people who have done this and from the gurus.

Thanks.

Most Viewed