Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 11:50   #31
BHPian

Your gypsy looks neat and clean. congrats on acquiring it. do u have any plans for modifying it to some replica or on your own taste??
Old 15th February 2010, 19:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

@crazyjeeperk

Thanks

i had initially seen Khans Gypsy Thread and then Allan's. This had reignited the gypsy madness within me. I plan to do some stuff. Shall post the exact requirements in sometime and you guys can guide me towards it.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 15th February 2010, 23:28   #33
Team-BHP Support

Drive the car to nearest reliable MASS and ask them to religiously follow 20k kms service routine (ie all fluids, filter change along with full service). Do a rust treatment and give it a clean coat of paint on the floor. All of this will cost you 8-10 k at the max, you are set then on.

Rust is minimal and is superficial a good clean up, protection layer and coat of paint is what it requires. Thats all!
Old 16th February 2010, 00:57   #34
BHPian

What i would suggest is get it serviced at MASS. Try to use it stock for maybe the next 6 months. On doing so, you will be able to find out what you really want from your gypsy. Build your gypsy for yourself in a way that it best suits you.
Old 16th February 2010, 01:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Jaggu and Tharakan,

the only thing i am currently thinking is servicing, tyre change and soft top, thats to be done asap. The stock tyres are too hard and if i have to believe that it has indeed run only 12k kms then the tyres have been underutilised to a great extent.

rest of the mods i can get it done in a couple of months.
Old 16th February 2010, 10:12   #36
Team-BHP Support

Yes the old stock tyres are hard as a stone! i had em when i picked mine too but that was already 5 times more kms that your Moment i changed them to radials it was a sea change wrt ride! Go for Yoko Geolander A/T Best VFM product.
Old 16th February 2010, 11:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Ya, maybe some times since he does not have another car. Atleast me, Never! Jeeps and Gypsies are addictive. Trust me!

Cheers Abbas.
Deepak
Ya deepak,due to parking space issues i had to part with indica once gypsy came,sometime i was keeping indica parking outside for daily use and once used with gypsy switched over to gypsy completely and sent the car to native.yes there are comfort level issues with gypsy-especially for family- BUT its a fill and foregt kind of vehicle.as dwarak said once its not a benz for comfort.its a gypsy

Raj

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th February 2010 at 11:18. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 16th February 2010, 16:59   #38
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Rraj, finally you got her home.

get the work done and get it ready for OTR.

hope to see her soon in action.

cheers
Devang
Old 16th February 2010, 17:02   #39
BHPian

Great Buy mate!
The drive will be highly addictive! Mine has virtually become my daily drive
Old 22nd February 2010, 07:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
@crazyjeeperk

Thanks

i had initially seen Khans Gypsy Thread and then Allan's. This had reignited the gypsy madness within me. I plan to do some stuff. Shall post the exact requirements in sometime and you guys can guide me towards it.

Cheers,
Raj
@Desmosedici
Thats a really good buy.
Gypsys are great vehicle and as I read somewhere on TeamBHP itself They are boringly reliable

I recently completed a 3200 kms trip in my Gypsy (I too bought 2nd hand in December and just got a normal service done) which included tarmac and quite a lot off-road too (The Desert Storm 2010) And you wont believe I dint even have to pop the hood. They are crank and go vehicles. Even a friend of mine who has a 1999 ex-army Carb Gypsy had a similar experience. And all the time I was cruising at speeds of 110-120 km/hr
Wonderful Vehicle & I am hooked for life

Regarding the mods I'll advise what I have been advised by friends. Drive it stock for sometime and then do the mods one by one. This way you would yourself know and experience the before and after difference

The best part is that all the spares are cheap and available in abundance everywhere and for service MASS is everywhere in our country!!!

Best of luck and drive safe!!!
Old 22nd February 2010, 23:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Harjeev,

Your suggestion is what has been echoed by many over here. I just plan to sell off the hard top and make a soft top (i feel it looks and feels much better that way) and change to Yokos.

I was contemplating whether Yokos 235/75 R15s would go in easily on the stock rims.

I do not plan on either a SPOA or any lifts in the near future as i wont be offroading that much, maybe just a wee bit but i do want that extra grip. i know i would have to sacrifice on speed but then, on a Gypsy i would want to cruise and not race

I just want to customise this as per my wishes and thoughts that i had when i was in college.

Just waiting to get the transfered papers in my hand and a comp insurance before going and changing anything.
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Harjeev,

Your suggestion is what has been echoed by many over here. I just plan to sell off the hard top and make a soft top (i feel it looks and feels much better that way) and change to Yokos.

I was contemplating whether Yokos 235/75 R15s would go in easily on the stock rims.

I do not plan on either a SPOA or any lifts in the near future as i wont be offroading that much, maybe just a wee bit but i do want that extra grip. i know i would have to sacrifice on speed but then, on a Gypsy i would want to cruise and not race

I just want to customise this as per my wishes and thoughts that i had when i was in college.

Just waiting to get the transfered papers in my hand and a comp insurance before going and changing anything.
go in for the 215's if you dont want the yokos to touch the leaf. Also movement will be easier.
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:59   #43
Senior - BHPian

@Desmosedici
I agree with what Kaushik says. 215/75/R15's are perfect and the grip is also amazingly well. Drive someones gypsy fitted with this specification before taking the size decision
Old 23rd February 2010, 12:23   #44
BHPian

Hi

I agree with Harjeev and KSM here. Go for 215/75 R15. They offer sufficient grip for any kind of driving you want to do.

235/75 R15 will be difficult to fit and in not worth the effort and additional cost unless you cant find the tyres you want in 215 size.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 23rd February 2010, 12:32   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I have fitted 275/60/R15 in my previous gypsy on stock rims and never had any issues(though it had power steering).

Last edited by Amar82 : 23rd February 2010 at 12:34.

Most Viewed