Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 02:49   #61
Senior - BHPian

i went to a shop called POPULAR accessories near Inorbit Mall, it was managed by a sardar guy but he didnt have any accessories for the gypsy in stock and he was very disinterested.. from where can i get estimates for the items that i have listed above.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 1st March 2010, 00:53   #62
BHPian

For the AC I would sugest that you dont use the stock one. Use sanden 507 compressor, Super king cooling coil with blower. Gypsy has a problem with over heating. To get rid of this you dont need to change the radiator and all. All you need is to install an electric fan infront of the radiator. Use TATA indica's radiator cooling fan. Insist for the company BEHER
Old 2nd March 2010, 00:01   #63
Senior - BHPian

Thank You Sir. Will keep that in mind.
Old 3rd March 2010, 01:37   #64
Senior - BHPian

Tejas,

You mentioned about the rear overhang, i didnt get that. Could you please explain. Sorry but i am a novice. Tks
Old 3rd March 2010, 02:44   #65
BHPian

What he meant is, to chop off the part of the gypsy body, BEHIND the rear tyre..
That helps in offroading, since your departure angle increases.. Hope i'm right about this..

Its a pretty basic mod, if you're serious about offroading.
Old 3rd March 2010, 20:47   #66
Senior - BHPian

Oh ok. Then it would be the same as what Khan has done.

Regd Off roading, i wanna try it out for sure. what i dont know is whether i'll get addicted to it hence giving myself some time

and do Yoko 235s come at 5200 per piece?
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:07   #67
Senior - BHPian

i came across this site of a company that makes custom dashboards, that is if someone wants to have one.

Air Filters Housing,Children Slides,FRP Air Filters Housing,FRP Children Slides,India

Cheers
Old 4th March 2010, 09:59   #68
Senior - BHPian

He Raj, thats a good list of To do's, my views in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
These are the list of things i have planned in a phased manner.

Please see if these are ok to start with. Additional ideas are welcome.

Phase1
Total Servicing - Do the cross pin service & change the 4X4 transfer cases bushing for sure.
SideView Mirrors - Get the Bolero ORVM, they look good
YokoHoma Geolanders - size not yet decided. WIll Try both 235s and 215s - If you intend to put offset alloys then 235's will fit on them but the 215's are the perfect size to have.
New Steering Wheel, the old one is pathetic and offers no grip - Make sure its a big size
New Horn
Bull Bar
Hella Lamps
Soft Top
Seats, yet to be decided - Get used seats from town CB
Lock Change from MASS - Change all the locks, full set costs 700
Steering and Gear Lock - good idea
Old MG410 Grill, I just love it - cool
Removing Rust - Very imp
Suspension Checks and Tweaks - Must do, change all the bushes.

Phase2

Paint Job
Rear CFLs
KnN - must have
Headers - Covered in the FFE
New Door Paddings - if they are in a bad condition do them now, INR 300 only
Alloy Wheels
Driver Cabin Sealed, thinking whether a customised Top can be made in fibre and fitted. - possible
Change rear seats to front facing - think about it
Power Steering - if you intend to do a lot of OTR then dont put PS
Air Conditioning, can the existing blower be used? - Dont use the existing blower, superking is much better with sanden 507
FFE - good idea if you dont mind the sound all the time.
ICE - make sure you have USB, the CD drive dosent last long
Addressing water seepage issue - You will be able to do that only in the rains
and few other interior changes - good

Cheers,
Raj
Old 4th March 2010, 11:17   #69
BHPian

dont know how i missed this thread,

congrats buddy. so finally you have her,
hoping to see you 4wheeling with the gang soon,

you have my number so if you need any help or questions please dont hesitate,

regards
allan
Old 4th March 2010, 13:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

Looks like you've got your hands full there mate! I'm keeping a close eye on your progress as well...right behind you with most of these modifications.

I've also heard the 235s don't fit well and you need to space out the bumper a bit and it will still hit the suspension at full lock. If you are doing this purely for cosmetic reasons then I would suggest you try the 215s first and see the results before going big.

Let me know what you do on the A/C front. I have to check with my dealer if he is installing the Sanden 507 compressor. If not - will specify it. He is fitting the superking blower for sure.
Old 4th March 2010, 20:58   #71
Senior - BHPian

GSferrari,

read your thread,

i know the dealer would provide the AC installation with a warranty however if you do an aftermarket fitment which is exactly the same, you might just save some good amount to invest in something else. just my views.

and from your name i am assuming you might be an F1 fan, who are you rooting for?

Kaushik - Thanks as always, i spoke to a tyre guy who was talking about some 31.5 tyres and alloys but then he said one such tyre is 7500/-, damn these tyres are pretty expensive. i am looking to save money and spend only on necessities hence i have decided to go for 215/75 R15 Yoko and stick to stock rims.

This is what you and all have advised to have a comfy off and on road ride. I go with the gurus.

Allan - Thanks Man, your updates are very late on your gypsy thread. Are you onto many other projects as well, do let us in on it. BTW i dont have words to describe your BLUE Gypsy. i am amazed. Hats Off Sir.
Old 5th March 2010, 13:26   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i know the dealer would provide the AC installation with a warranty however if you do an aftermarket fitment which is exactly the same, you might just save some good amount to invest in something else. just my views.

and from your name i am assuming you might be an F1 fan, who are you rooting for?
Schumacher/Vettel/Alonso/Hamilton/Webber/Heidfeld/Barichello fan here - anyone who can race hard and overtake is a winner and all these guys are awesome at it!

You are spot-on about the ac being cheaper outside but I want answerability...someone I can catch and wring until they cry for mercy. Dealership bunnies are perfect for that.

If it doesn't work - I'll ask them to remove it and refund my money. Easier to do that with a dealer.
Old 7th March 2010, 16:51   #73
Senior - BHPian

Finally, Gypsy given to MASS to get the service done. I have asked them to check every fluid system thoroughly and replace the fluids wherever necessary. Also asked them to check the suspension setup (looks and feels fine to me). My Gypsy is on full clutch setting (cant move the vehicle with 3/4 clutch release) hence asked for a clutch setting, the service engineer pressed the clutch a couple of times and told me that the clutch plate is gone, cost of replacement is 7.5K. I have asked him to hold on to it.

I also wanted some more play on the brake pedal as even a slight touch brings the vehicle to a screeching halt. He told me that cannot be done as it might make the brakes loose. This is something i didnt understand. Can someone help please.

The cost of parts vis a vis the cost of labour is nearly the same at MASS.

Here are the approx costs.

EngineOil - Cost 1000 Labour 760
Brake Oil - Cost 250 Labour 290
Coolant - Cost 1200
Radiator Flush - Cost 450 labour 255
Throttle Body Lubrication (God knows what this is) - Cost 175 Labour 315. is this that big a task?
Injector Cleaning - Cost 348 Labour 480

I asked for the cost of locks and was told approx 3000 (for 4 locks - Ignition, driver door, petrol lock and rear door). I argued saying it was not so expensive as Kaushik had mentioned approx 700 for the same. The service guy then took me to the inhouse stock store and it was confirmed as 1200 as the cost plus labour and taxes would get it till 2k. I am not sure whether changing locks cost this much. What if i buy these from MASS, Can i get it installed from outside.

Cost of painting (without the hardtop) with bodywork, rust treatment etc is 30K at MASS. This paint will be only from the outside and will not cover the engine bay etc.

Again, is this cost justified. It seems the parts are cheap but labour is where they recover their moolah from

The Gypsy will be back on Tuesday, Shall post updates then.

Cheers
Old 7th March 2010, 17:05   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The cost of parts vis a vis the cost of labour is nearly the same at MASS.

Here are the approx costs.

Coolant - Cost 1200
Radiator Flush - Cost 450 labour 255
Throttle Body Lubrication (God knows what this is) - Cost 175 Labour 315. is this that big a task?
Injector Cleaning - Cost 348 Labour 480

I asked for the cost of locks and was told approx 3000 (....
For sure the labor charges are VERY high.

For example, what would they do in 760/- for oil change as labor charge?
Also, 1200 for coolant? that would mean nearly 5+ litres of ORIGINAL golden cruiser coolant.
Same for locks.. I got mine for 1K
Old 7th March 2010, 17:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hence asked for a clutch setting, the service engineer pressed the clutch a couple of times and told me that the clutch plate is gone, cost of replacement is 7.5K. I have asked him to hold on to it
Ridiculous - it can be adjusted. Find a competent mechanic who will do it for you. It is a 30 minute procedure.

Quote:
I also wanted some more play on the brake pedal as even a slight touch brings the vehicle to a screeching halt. He told me that cannot be done as it might make the brakes loose. This is something i didnt understand. Can someone help please
This can also be done. Find a decent mechanic outside MASS.

Quote:
Coolant - Cost 1200
Radiator Flush....

Again, is this cost justified. It seems the parts are cheap but labour is where they recover their moolah from
Dude these labor costs are astronomical!! I would hold on getting anything done there. You can get the same done outside for less than half the cost. You can do most of the stuff yourself for even less money!!

Even ford labor costs aren't this high!!!

Have you checked your brake pads etc.? Worn pads/discs can also cause jerky brakes. Also improper setting for the rear drums / jamming can cause brake issues.

Finally - the quote for the painting is just borderline insane. Stupid even!! Don't get your vehicle painted there!

Last edited by gsferrari : 7th March 2010 at 17:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks