Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 16:46   #121
Senior - BHPian

Some underbody pics taken while washing

Finally took the Gypsy for a underbody wash.

Jay / Tejas,

You had mentioned during the last OTR to put oil post the wash. Which oil should i use for the underbody?

CHeers
Raj
Attached Thumbnails
Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-10042010004.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-10042010005.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-10042010006.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-10042010007.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-10042010008.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-10042010009.jpg  

Old 10th April 2010, 17:36   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
But again, CFLs during OTRs are not recommended i guess. DO they tend to break due to the extreme pressure.
The CFL at the rear are OK. Both on/off road. Tested enough by quite a few vehicles (Gypsy/MM's) in various conditions.
Old 10th April 2010, 17:43   #123
Senior - BHPian

Peddars Gas Charged

Quote:
Please help if the above mentioned will resolve the issue to a greater extent as i am not sure whether the CFLs and Gas Filled Shocks can go hand in hand.
Hi Desmo,

Congratulations on your Gypsy King.

Headers aka Vikram R has a set of 4 sparingly used peddars (gas Charges Shocks for the Gypsy, they work best with the OEM Leafsprings.

Get in touch with him.

Regards,

Arka
Old 13th April 2010, 00:49   #124
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Khan Bhai, i shall be going for it soon. Just trying to find a reliable mech to get all the stuff done and also trying to go slow and experience the vehicle and decide what all is actually required.

Arka Sir,

I am honoured to have reply on my thread. I think no one knows jeeps as much as you do. Many Thanks for the the direction on the gas shocks.

Cheers,
Old 13th April 2010, 13:35   #125
Senior - BHPian

Leaf

Quote:
Arka Sir, I am honoured to have reply on my thread. I think no one knows jeeps as much as you do. Many Thanks for the the direction on the gas shocks.
Desmo SIR,

Thank You and there are quite a few JEEP Experts on this Forum, I have the least expertise.

While you look out for the Shock Absorbers, also Check Out how Headers, has setup his Leaf Springs.

Regards,

Arka
Old 13th April 2010, 15:15   #126
Senior - BHPian

Arka Sir,

Already PMd Vikram for the shocks and he has reverted with his no. Shall be speaking to him soon and getting his views as well.

I re read your above post, why do you say that the shocks will work well with stock setup. If i add a CFL instead of having the normal leaf setup, will it have any adverse effects. Sorry for these questions, but i have no idea how these things work.

Many Thanks Sir
Old 13th April 2010, 15:34   #127
Senior - BHPian

Raj the peddar gas shocks will give more progressive feel over fast bumps where the gypsy would normally just launch into the sky. Coupled with CFLs this will be a fairly substantial improvement. Other options are Koni and Monroe.

Budget 20k for suspension upgrades. Also the leaf spring rubber bushes can be upgraded with softer thicker ones from the Ambassador. apparently the stock ones wear out within 3-4 months from new.
Old 13th April 2010, 16:11   #128
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Da.

I am planning to put in a Gas Shocks and CFLs at rear. Approx cost should be around 24K plus installation but waiting for Arka's reply to my question on the same.

Hey, tell me one thing, does Mr Sripadh also provide some cheaper AC Options or is it always 40k like your setup coz i dont have 40k for an AC man, too expensive and i also dont want to go for 2nd hand stuff.

and also let me know if anyone wants that hardtop, i just want to dispose it asap and get the ST done.

CHeers
Old 13th April 2010, 18:37   #129
Senior - BHPian

He will fit to your budget da - go talk to him. Keep the hard top - seriously! If you want it back they are quite expensive.
Old 13th April 2010, 22:46   #130
BHPian

Raj, don't sell the hard top! Ac won't be as effective, if you go in for a hard top yaar...
One more important thing - the gypsy will leak a lot during the rains, so if you have to sell the HT, sell it after rains, to avoid getting wet inside.

Anyway, i think headers' shocks must be really good - even i pm'd him, saying that if you dont go for the shocks, i may be interested

Coming to the point, if you want to lessen the expenditure, you can go for CFLS's and monroe shocks. monroe will cost you about 1,000 per shock up, and cfl's = about 13,000...
Old 13th April 2010, 23:09   #131
Senior - BHPian

Hi Imran,

But are the Monroe ones you mentioned the Gas Shocks..

and regarding the Hardtop, i dont even have space to store it hence selling it.
Post that i plan to have a soft top temporarily as finally i want to seal the drivers cabin permanently so the AC and leakage wont be an issue

and BTW, which make are the original gypsy shocks, any idea?
Old 14th April 2010, 01:58   #132
BHPian

Original gypsy shocks i don't know - but the monroe ones are gas filled as far as i know..

And next time dont bunk the OTR!
Old 14th April 2010, 19:25   #133
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Man,

when is the next OTR, hope not in the coming 2 weeks, schedule tight hai. and i am really envious that i missed the alibag one.
Old 16th April 2010, 11:24   #134
Senior - BHPian

Leaf Spring

Hi Desmo Sir,

The Peddars are designed upgrades for the OEM Gypsy Shock Absorber.

I cannot comment on how the combination with CFL will be, that is why I suggested the Stock Upgrade.

Regards,

Arka
Old 19th April 2010, 23:02   #135
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Arka Sir,

Given the heat wave in mumbai which is getting unbearable, my first priority is to fix an AC but not getting enough time due to office schedules.

GS - Can you pass me Sripadhs contact number. shall try to get in touch with him over the weekend.

and anyone for the hardtop, please pm me, i want to get rid of it. i want to get the feel of an open gypsy before i go in for front cabin HT.

Most Viewed