Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2010, 03:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home

Hi Guys,

After going through numerous threads about restorations, modifications, add ons etc, after drooling at every other gypsy i used to see on TBHP and on roads, i just couldnt resist getting a gypsy.

My house is right next to the police chowki and i used to see a gypsy nearly everyday and used to dream about how & when i shall own one.

I had 2 jobs to finish before going for a gypsy.

1 - sell my 2007 wagonr
2 - convince dad

the second part was the most difficult one but i stood my ground as i somehow or the other wanted to get a gypsy.

After getting acquainted with the different aspects of the vehicle, i decided to try for a MPFI, better to have a improved technology and a newer vehicle.

December 2009 - checked out a 2003 mpfi, the dealer quoted 2.75. Took pics and requested Khan Bhai for feedback. He said go for it but alas, my wagonr was not sold, so i kept trying to get a good price for it.

Finally in jan 2010 i sold my wagonr.

called up the dealer and fixed an appointment to make some downpayment and get the 2003 MPFI. Dealer calls up in the evening and says vehicle sold to someone else. Disappointed, i again started searching the net.

Got hold of a 2004 MPFI HardTop, run 12000Kms (dont know whether genuine).

In between my best friends wedding on Feb 6, i called this dealer to get the vehicle to my house to have a test drive. Drove it and found the engine to be very good. There was rust though on the passenger side footboard but less. Initial price quoted was 3.8 lacs then 3.4. I said nothin more than 2.8 but then agreed on 3 flat. Many might feel that its a bit pricey but in Mumbai MPFIs are a rare sight.

So Deal Done in the afternoon, friends wedding in the evening, what an excellent day.

Vehicle was delivered on Monday, 8 feb and here i am posting the very next day. i have just taken one snap at the moment but will post more over the weekend.

Would like to thank the following people who i interacted with during my quest for the Gypsy

KhanBhai for his initial support
Extremepower - Allan
Ladaak Imraan
krishnathanthri
sorcererenator
ksm-vtec - kaushik (i had spoken to him to check his gypsy as it was on sale but something kept coming in between, never met him but hope to see him on some tbhp event)
Pdev29 - Devang - Met him and his Monstar, he gave a lot of info regd gypsies.

I plan for the following mods / addons
Please provide your suggestions / feedbacks and also from where i can source these in mumbai

Yoko Geolanders - dont know which size to put
Soft Top - Wanna sell the hardtop (interested buyers can PM me)
Alloy Wheels - Friends insist but i am not too worried about it now
Suspension mods - Ride is too bumpy with 2 people onboard, do CFLs make justice, my driving will be 80% tar roads, once a month trip out of mumbai to remote places where there are kaccha roads and occasional off roading.
Better seats - again dont know which are best

i plan to then drive around for 6 months, get a good feel and then plan to install an AC, PS and seal the driver cabin from a safety perspective as i wanna install a good music system.

And please suggest a good name for my Gypsy.

Await your assistance.

Cheers,
Raj
Attached Thumbnails
Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-09022010104.jpg  

Old 10th February 2010, 03:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sir. That's a neat Gypsy.

You got a king for yourself Great.
Old 10th February 2010, 03:18   #3
BHPian

Congrats on that beauty. I'm just counting my days until i too can get hold of one.
Old 10th February 2010, 04:10   #4
BHPian

Thats a good good deal man all the best.

For seats and cosmetics goodies go to cst Kurla , dont pick up anything mechanical from there only go in for original parts.
Old 10th February 2010, 04:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Lucky you!Your dreams came, while mine stay as is.Always wanted to have a Gypsy myself,though its quite unlikely it'll happen in this lifetime.
Give it some time and then work out the details of the mods.Prioritize the list, and get started once you've become familiar with the working of the car.

Not many people like to name their cars, but how's 'Jimmy' for your Gypsy? Just a thought!
Old 10th February 2010, 08:22   #6
BHPian

Congratulations. That's a killer deal and a very neat Gypsy that you have laid your hands on.

The Gypsy bug seems to have bitten me too.

Cheers.
Old 10th February 2010, 10:39   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats, your car is looking great and you've got a great deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
ksm-vtec - kaushik (i had spoken to him to check his gypsy as it was on sale
Kaushik is selling his gypsy???

Quote:
saifee tyres at mahim or pal tyres at lamington road

Quote:
Soft Top - Wanna sell the hardtop (interested buyers can PM me)
If you have space, store it. I know gypsy guys who are scrambling to buy one.

Quote:
Don't, if you plan to off road. Even if you do, don't upsize the diameter.

Quote:
Suspension mods - Ride is too bumpy with 2 people onboard, do CFLs make justice, my driving will be 80% tar roads, once a month trip out of mumbai to remote places where there are kaccha roads and occasional off roading.
Cheapest is to put a couple of sandbags (watered if possible). Gypsy ride always improves when laden. Or use CFL springs in the rear. Ask khan_sultan for details.

Quote:
And please suggest a good name for my Gypsy.
What is with this naming fever on teambhp? Gypsy is a good name.
Old 10th February 2010, 11:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

congratulation on gypsy buy. Stock gypsy can take any kind of terrain. some modifications definitely improves the performance. CFL at the rear stock replacement will give you smoother ride. Safe drive. Hope to see you soon on offroad trail.
Old 10th February 2010, 11:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

CONGRATS RAJ!!!!!good to know that you got a MPFI and at the right price..Lets go for a drive soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

Go for the Geo's and if you plan to do OTR's and also stay on stock rims then 215/75/15....max go upto 235 not more.

You will have to decide before you buy your tyres.

Suspension mods - Ride is too bumpy with 2 people onboard, do CFLs
make justice, my driving will be 80% tar roads, once a month trip out of
mumbai to remote places where there are kaccha roads and occasional off roading.
I would suggest stay stock

Better seats - again dont know which are best
You can get them at chor bazzar, try and decide. Will put you in touch with my welder, he will help you fix it.

i plan to then drive around for 6 months, get a good feel and then plan to install an AC, PS and seal the driver cabin from a safety perspective as i wanna install a good music system.
Thats a good idea. Better to drive stock first.
Well Yes i am. Not for any other reason but parking. I need to buy another hatch for my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Kaushik is selling his gypsy???
Old 10th February 2010, 11:54   #10
BHPian

Congrats! I tihnk you've gotten a pretty sweet deal!
Enjoy the new vehicle!
Old 10th February 2010, 12:39   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Well Yes i am. Not for any other reason but parking. I need to buy another hatch for my family.
Sorry for going OT but please don't sell her. My dad had sold my gypsy for the same reason. I went to study abroad and parking was an issue. I still regret the day, and trust me, you will too.

You can park her at my place if you want.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for your responses. Its indeed a great feeling to own a Gypsy. and as Tejas says i shall keep it as Gypsy. No names as such.

will be posting more pics over the weekend of the engine bay, interiors etc
Old 11th February 2010, 14:00   #13
BHPian

When you PM me about selling WagonR to buy a Gypsy. First thing that struck my mind was "This guy is crazy". Secondly I thought, this guy will land up only hunting and not finding a Gypsy. But you were lucky to get an MPFI gypsy that too at a steal price.

I have no words to say. Congratulations

Krishna Thanthri
Old 11th February 2010, 17:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hahaha my whole group of friends were shocked, they started believing me only when i actually sold the wagonr. and BTW Krishna, what wheels are you running your Gypsy on, they are a killer, one of my friend wants to know the model and approx price.

tks
Old 11th February 2010, 22:48   #15
BHPian

@Desmosedici,
Looks like a very clean vehicle, may be 12,000 Km reading is genuine as most people use it as a re-creational vehicle than a daily drive. Congrats for being Gypsied.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks