Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 10:45   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Hahaha my whole group of friends were shocked, they started believing me only when i actually sold the wagonr. and BTW Krishna, what wheels are you running your Gypsy on, they are a killer, one of my friend wants to know the model and approx price.

tks
Those wheels are by a brand called F1. 3 Spoke 15Inch. I paid 17500Rs almost a year ago.

Krishna

Last edited by krishnathanthri : 12th February 2010 at 11:03.
Old 12th February 2010, 11:27   #17
BHPian

Wagon R is a very good comfortable city ride with better interiors compared to Gypsy. Plus you say you would be using it 80 % for city riding and once in a month for offroading.

All that i can make out from your purchase is that you have just read and seen pimped up gypsies on teambhp and decided to get one by selling a good city ride. Now after buying this car, you will break your head getting it restored and spending Hugh amount of money on paintjobs, tyres, ICE, handling (bumpy ride as you have mentioned). A car like this will frequently visit garages no matter how much money you spend on it. Also, a gypsy becomes uncomfortable for elders to get in if the front passenger seat is occupied unlike wagon r which was a four door car.

Most of the people at Teambhp who owns a gypsy have a sedan /hatch as their primary car for family purpose and the gypsy is like weekend car for offroading. (I am guessing from your signature that you do not own any other car, correct me if i am wrong. If i stand corrected than this point of mine is not valid)

Sooner or later you will realize that it was a mistake to sell your wagonR and buy this instead.

I know a lot of other gypsy owner will not be in agreement with me on this but let me say that i have nothing against the gypsy. Its a wonderful car with great offroad capabilities which i have personally driven and experienced it, but just does not suits the purpose for what it has been bought i.e. is 80 % city drive.

No hard feelings buddy, i am just expressing my thoughts, just ignore me if you think what i wrote is crap.

Abbas.

Last edited by Abbas : 12th February 2010 at 11:40.
Old 12th February 2010, 12:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
All that i can make out from your purchase is that you have just read and seen pimped up gypsies on teambhp and decided to get one by selling a good city ride.
I really hope Desmo did not buy a Gypsy for this reason.
Quote:
Now after buying this car, you will break your head getting it restored and spending Hugh amount of money on paintjobs, tyres, ICE, handling (bumpy ride as you have mentioned). A car like this will frequently visit garages no matter how much money you spend on it.
No, i would not agree with this part. Not sure how good/bad this specimen which Desmo has picked up. But if it has been decently maintained, it shall definitely be more cheaper to maintain than any other car including the Wagon R.
Quote:
Also, a gypsy becomes uncomfortable for elders to get in if the front passenger seat is occupied unlike wagon r which was a four door car.
I agree 200% on this. Doing anything (everything) will not make it comfortable as a car (not even close), PERIOD!
Quote:
Most of the people at Teambhp who owns a gypsy have a sedan /hatch as their primary car for family purpose and the gypsy is like weekend car for offroading.
My wifey saved me here. So, yes, i would have to agree with you here. Atleast, i have an Alto which takes care of family (wifey & parents).
Quote:
Sooner or later you will realize that it was a mistake to sell your wagonR and buy this instead.
Ya, maybe some times since he does not have another car. Atleast me, Never! Jeeps and Gypsies are addictive. Trust me!

Cheers Abbas.
Deepak
Old 12th February 2010, 12:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

:( Everyone seems to be finding one. I've been looking for an MPFI for 3lacs but no luck in Pune and no luck on the net!!

@Desmo - How did you find thins one? I need help in getting one myself. I can travel to Mumbai. Does your dealer have another one? Can you PM me his number? Maybe Mumbai holds hope for me too!
Old 12th February 2010, 12:28   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
:( Everyone seems to be finding one. I've been looking for an MPFI for 3lacs but no luck in Pune and no luck on the net!!
I was looking for a gypsy for years and an immaculately maintained mahindra classic dropped into my lap. Bought her immediately.

Moral: Never stop looking, you never know what you may get.
Old 12th February 2010, 15:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

very true, BUT its not as bad as you say. Once you get used to a gypsy for a daily use car you opinion will change. i too had the same feelings when i bought my gypsy.

but the kind of satisfaction you get by driving the gypsy is way above the wR without doubt.

Quote:
Wagon R is a very good comfortable city ride with better interiors compared to Gypsy. Plus you say you would be using it 80 % for city riding and once in a month for offroading.........
Old 12th February 2010, 16:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I was looking for a gypsy for years and an immaculately maintained mahindra classic dropped into my lap. Bought her immediately.

Moral: Never stop looking, you never know what you may get.
I pray i wont have to wait for years. I'm justing looking for it where there arent many. I hope Mumbai folks can help me look one up. Even classics are hard to find. I saw yours on the profile and man thats one very well kept set. Most running around here in pune are old jeeps done up cosmetically to look like classics. I dont know many enthusiasts in pune yet. And i sure do need help to lift up the hood and ensure that it is what its made to wear externally!

Nyways. Lets see if the members in mumbai can help out.
Old 12th February 2010, 17:07   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A car like this will frequently visit garages no matter how much money you spend on it.
This is absolutely RUBBISH!

The beauty of Gypsy is in its simplicity and with this simplicity comes the reliability factor. Of all the vehicles i have owned for long periods, Gypsy was the most reliable and which required "NO" maintenance apart from routine 10k service.

On the other hand, this was the vehicle which was abused the most! It went offroading with whole software team, lugged wood and sand for a friends house construction. Did highway jaunts between Chennai, BLR and Mysore without skipping a single breath.

It has uncomfortable ride and bad ergonomics (can be sorted to an extent), but is one of the best fun vehicle for young at heart. And yes these decisions are made with heart, atleast for most of us and thats why we are here in TBHP
Old 12th February 2010, 18:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

@Nilesh,

i just kept searching the internet to checkout used gypsys. i used to devotedly do this from my office everyday from 10.30PM till 12AM (free time in office). i used to get the owner / dealer details and used to call them up over the weekends to get details. i shall PM you my phone number. We can talk about it.

@Abbas,

I am 28, going to get married (maybe by 2010 end), 1st phase of life comes to an end and a new one begins post shaadi. Now i am an individual who has the freedom to live his dreams, for me owning a Gypsy has been a dream. i agree to what you say about having a second car and i shall have one post marriage for my family (thats the plan). and regd having a Bling Vehicle, i had many other options if at all i need a vehicle to showoff.

Secondly, till the time i dont experience it i wont know. So that why i decided to go for it and get a Gypsy, better to commit a mistake yourself rather than make a decision based on others thoughts and now i dont have any regrets about doing so.

Sometimes Heart takes over the Mind! I echo what Jaggu says.

and i have so many BHPians to help me out in getting this beast civilised.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 12th February 2010, 18:17   #25
Team-BHP Support

Raj if you want to get the beast civilized mechanically, all you need is decent MASS and couple of thousand bucks.

Trust me, when i bought mine for 1.5 lakhs (single owner) with 65k kms on odo. First thing i did was to take it to a MUL dealer workshop. The whole service with all fluid changes and some miscellaneous bits came to some 3500 bucks. Picked up a set of tires for 15k afterwards. Next 2 services cost me some 1000 odd bucks each, again at dealer.

After all the driving and many torture tests including being exposed to elements for 2+ years, a gentelman bought it from me for his farm, at 1.65 lakhs I rest my case.
Old 12th February 2010, 20:59   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Raj, Congrats on living your dream. Not many people are able to do that and kudos to you for doing that. You have got yourself a great vehicle.

Just drive the gypsy around and get to know it better. It will give you years of pleasure :-)
Old 12th February 2010, 22:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Khan Bhai, i should say you were one of my major inspirations to get a Gypsy and hats off to you on your gypsy thread, have got to know a lot more about technical stuff. Shall contact you separately when i start working on mine. Need a lot of tips
Old 13th February 2010, 14:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

a big +1 on that....have hardly spent anything on mine after the mechanical restoration was over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is absolutely RUBBISH!

The beauty of Gypsy is in its simplicity and with this simplicity comes the reliability factor. Of all the vehicles i have owned for long periods, Gypsy was the most reliable and which required "NO" maintenance apart from routine 10k service.

On the other hand, this was the vehicle which was abused the most! It went offroading with whole software team, lugged wood and sand for a friends house construction. Did highway jaunts between Chennai, BLR and Mysore without skipping a single breath.

It has uncomfortable ride and bad ergonomics (can be sorted to an extent), but is one of the best fun vehicle for young at heart. And yes these decisions are made with heart, atleast for most of us and thats why we are here in TBHP
Old 15th February 2010, 00:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

More Pics

A few more pics. Sorry these were taken by mobilecam and at night time.

Lot of things going on in my head with regards to the work to be done. Devang suggested first to get a checkup and basic servicing done at MASS.

Trying to think of what all needs to be done and should i get everything done at 1 go or in parts.

Shall make a detailed list of things required and post it. Suggestions welcome anytime.
Attached Thumbnails
Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-14022010107.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-14022010108.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-14022010109.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-14022010110.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-14022010111.jpg  

Dream comes true - Gypsy comes home-14022010112.jpg  

Old 15th February 2010, 11:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

desmocedici,

Great looking gypsy you got there. gypsy buyer will not look for FE, but thrill of owning it. Inside the city, It is much easier than car to traverse. Nobody dares come near to harm vehicle. I owned one single 4 wheeler for nearly 9 years, i.e. gypsy and enjoyed every moment including my family. It's an uncomfortable vehicle for the family and will complain about it initially but will get used to.

Happy gypsying and see you sometime on OTRs.

Most Viewed