Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 16:01   #1

Jeep CJ3B project

Hello friends,
I bought a jeep yesterday from a junkyard for about 20k, It has Willys CJ3B written on the plate. To me it looks like a Mahindra Classic. This jeep is left hand drive and has no engine. The transmission is in very bad condition. Except the body and chassis every thing is almost finished. I want to modify and upgrade this jeep for the purpose of going off-road. I want a good reliable engine and a serious 4X4 drive. Please tell me if I am looking for completely new engine, transmission (4x4), brakes (disk) and every thing modern, for a reliable drive in the mountains what would be the correct combination of things to go under the hood. Where can I buy the stuff, I am Delhi based.
And is it possible to make it right hand drive?
Your feed back will be off value.
Old 25th February 2010, 17:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Since it is LHD, it is obviously not a Mahindra Classic. It must be a pre-1968 Willys.
Old 25th February 2010, 17:25   #3
BANNED

Sell it off and start your hunt again.
Old 25th February 2010, 17:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Sell it off and start your hunt again.
I agree with spitfire! From your post (i may be wrong) you seem to be new to jeeps. If yes, then back off. First purchase a jeep that runs, you will then understand what it takes to own and run a jeep.

Unless and until you have a competent guidance with you please don't go ahead. You will waste your money and time! If you have both in plenty, then we will guide you in totality.
Old 25th February 2010, 18:09   #5
BHPian

I agree with Vinod and Abhi, Since you have to get a engine, gearbox, transfer case and differentials (I guess so). It will cost you a bomb to restore it and is not worth the money and effort.

Try to dispose it and get a running Jeep with 4WD.
Old 25th February 2010, 18:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Buddy, since you are in Delhi, its going to be really easy for you to restore this Jeep, thanks to Mayapuri. Also Delhi and NCR is the home of some of our member 4X4 addicts whom you could turn for advice and even meet up, i.e. Gotzuk, Shubhendra, Harjeev and so many more. Get them to check out your ride and see what they have to say.
Id say, let the LHD be, and use a modern diesel heart and transmission (check GTO's thread about his Jeep, its like a bible for someone wanting to do what you want to) and enjoy your Jeep.

Then again it is going to cost a serious amount of money and headache. Try selling this one if you are into conversion from LHD to RHD and all that.
Old 25th February 2010, 20:47   #7
BHPian

Easy way to get in to jeep world is to buy a Mahindra CJ500 4WD in running condition (< Rs 35000).Its easy to restore, low maintenance, parts are easily available. Use it for a while so that you can understand what is a Jeep.

For now keep your willys as it is (If it has all the Papers) and take your time to search for an original petrol engine and original gear box etc. and restore it. Nothing can beat an Original Willys .
Old 25th February 2010, 21:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

A jeep is never brought, its always built. Post some pics lets see what you got there. All the questions you asked can be done, a jeep is never a troublefree vehicle. I remember someone quoting if a gypsy is a cigarette then a jeep is like a beedi, you have to keep on kissing it to keep it going.

I assume only the engine is missing and rest all are in bad shape except the body and chasis, every thing can be brought used. the old items will also go in for exchange, so the damage is not really gonna be felt but think its going to be in the region of close to 150k. but think this you would get a no nonsense fully rebuilt jeep and trust me for that money you would never get another jeep. willis cj3bs are rare and once its fully done up can actually fetch you more money.

I would say its a steel, do it up in parts, do the mechanicals first and the the tinkering and painting. It will surly be a great off roader. just my 2 cents worth. Whoever thinks a no nonsense jeep can be brought is actually being delusional.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 25th February 2010 at 21:19.
Old 26th February 2010, 03:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I remember someone quoting if a gypsy is a cigarette then a jeep is like a beedi, you have to keep on kissing it to keep it going.

Pramod
Hahahahaha thats a good one so true....

All the best buddy if you decide to rebuild
Old 26th February 2010, 08:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Posting some pictures will really help in suggesting the right path to be taken.
I agree with all who have given you advice above,
A restoration job looks really easy at first but but the end (if you reach there first before pulling your hair off) you will become half a mechanic yourself!!!
Please post some pictures and where is the vehicle standing currently???
Old 26th February 2010, 10:01   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember there is this Sikh gentleman in ND who specializes in refurbishing jeeps. Forget his name though.
Old 26th February 2010, 13:58   #12

Hi

I want to thank every one for their input, I have been lucky enough to find the original transmission an gear box for 10K. (Petrol Hurricane engine and 4x4 gearbox)
The only question is should I go for the original stuff or should I fit the mahindra Classic engine and gearbox.

Or should I put an imported engine from Mayapuri. ( Is it possible to get a matching 4x4 transmission with an imported engine that will fit the CJ3B.)

I am looking for performance. Will an old hurricane engine be more reliable than a Mahindra Classic,

Thanks
Old 26th February 2010, 14:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4forever View Post
I want to thank every one for their input, I have been lucky enough to find the original transmission an gear box for 10K. (Petrol Hurricane engine and 4x4 gearbox)
The only question is should I go for the original stuff or should I fit the mahindra Classic engine and gearbox.

Or should I put an imported engine from Mayapuri. ( Is it possible to get a matching 4x4 transmission with an imported engine that will fit the CJ3B.)

I am looking for performance. Will an old hurricane engine be more reliable than a Mahindra Classic,

Thanks
I would rather prefer a petrol engine than a diesel on a 3b. But the key things starts from here- entrust it to a very competent hand. Else you will go round n round!

Do not buy any imported engine and spoil your 3b. A jeep specially without 4wd is worth nothing!!

Will hurricane engine be more reliable than Xdp 4.90? well...it depends. Diesel is better and will keep running once you set it. Petrol hurricane needs frequent tuning and attention. There are few exceptions though. All depends how lucky you are!
Old 26th February 2010, 16:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Gogi Bhai,
Few days back,I have shifted to Kolkata. Now meeting with UBS on Weekly basis and soon you will hear about new project from me.

Regards,
Shubhendra

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Buddy, since you are in Delhi, its going to be really easy for you to restore this Jeep, thanks to Mayapuri. Also Delhi and NCR is the home of some of our member 4X4 addicts whom you could turn for advice and even meet up, i.e. Gotzuk, Shubhendra, Harjeev and so many more. Get them to check out your ride and see what they have to say.
Id say, let the LHD be, and use a modern diesel heart and transmission (check GTO's thread about his Jeep, its like a bible for someone wanting to do what you want to) and enjoy your Jeep.

Then again it is going to cost a serious amount of money and headache. Try selling this one if you are into conversion from LHD to RHD and all that.
Old 26th February 2010, 16:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

my friend you really are a brave man to jump into the 4x4 world by restoring a CJ3B, LHD!

anyway since you have jumped into the river, you will learn how to swim!

keep your ride as original as possible, dont spoil it buy putting diesel or imported engines.

listen to the advice of people on this forum and do meet few of them in NCR to gain first hand experience.

restoration of a jeep is live giving birth to a child.....

best of luck.

Most Viewed