Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 22:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I have learnt the following on the CJ3B front from experts

12. Army CJ3Bs were all had only bench seats where the CJ3B siblings CJ340 and CL340 and Classics had bucket seats as well.
Not quite. My CJ3B RCL came with front bucket seats and all Army Jeeps i have seen have the bucket seats on the front. Im suppose you meant front seats, as no jeep ive seen, comes with rear bucket seats.

I heard that the Army Version of the of the T-90 tranny on a CJ Petrol is somewhat different than the civilian version. Maybe for more pulling power in a particular gear. Im not too sure about this, will someone like to elaborate on that please.
Old 1st March 2010, 12:41   #17
BHPian

army vehicle is taller

I had read that there is a hight difference, mm550 army version is taller then mm540 not sure though, can any one confirm?
Old 1st March 2010, 12:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
GTO do army Jeeps really have more BHP?. I am attaching a pic of specification sheet which tells the other way round. Is there any other evidence which makes you say so? Why will an oil cooler lead to an increase in BHP?

Spike
SPike,

Thanks, you have cleared a popular misconception
Old 1st March 2010, 12:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

XD3Ps

Quote:
GTO do army Jeeps really have more BHP?. I am attaching a pic of specification sheet which tells the other way round. Is there any other evidence which makes you say so? Why will an oil cooler lead to an increase in BHP?

Spike
Hi Spike,

Now that the XD3P is "Officially Dead".

Please list of the FIPs used and the RPM restriction on each variant.
XD3PB, XD3PU, XD3P-2A (NGCS MM550XD) etc.

Regards,

Arka
Old 1st March 2010, 18:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Features

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post

2. The army jeep's front grill got 2 small rectangle plates to support the monkey light with 3 screw holes.

15. Pic axle head and holder on passenger side fender for army jeeps
Hi Siva,

Please explain these new findings, with additional description, maybe a few pics.

Rajdeep DattaRoy & VVT are definitely in for a shock.

Regards,

Arka

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1359185-post9.html
Old 1st March 2010, 18:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

@Arka refer your post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1359185-post9.html there is nothing called as a Brush guard it is "Bush Guard" where does Brush come here?, although the insect screen serves to keep insects away from the radiator fins it is called as a "Chaffscreen", also D rings is technically called as "Lashing rings" this is for information to all fellow jeepers and forum members

Spike
Old 1st March 2010, 18:57   #22
BANNED

Quote:
I am attaching a pic of specification sheet which tells the other way round.
So with oil cooler it makes lesser power.

The civilian XD3P made 76 BHP??

Why does the spec sheet say 72.5 on my Bolero XD3P manual. Or is there another twist here too.
Old 1st March 2010, 19:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
So with oil cooler it makes lesser power.

The civilian XD3P made 76 BHP??

Why does the spec sheet say 72.5 on my Bolero XD3P manual. Or is there another twist here too.
that is why i asked GTO if there is any other evidence which states that army versions produced 76 BHP, but i am damn sure that army versions were calibrated for 4500 RPM, that means the manual with me has a typo.
Oil cooler is provided as the oil is being churned more at higher RPMs, leading to more heat loads

Spike
Old 1st March 2010, 23:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Siva,

Please explain these new findings, with additional description, maybe a few pics.

Rajdeep DattaRoy & VVT are definitely in for a shock.

Regards,

Arka

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1359185-post9.html
Pics for reference.

2. The army jeep's front grill got 2 small rectangle plates to support the monkey light with 3 screw holes. (blackout lights in the front grill are often referred as monkey lights and the rectangle plates to give additional support for the installation from inner side)
Differences between Army & Civilian Versions-image197.jpg

15. Pic(k) ax(l)e head and holder on passenger side fender for army jeeps -- oops definitely a typo.

I'm talking about RHD Indian version of CJ3B and I was talking about the same "Pick Axe Holder – Edge Head on Left Fender " - this make passenger side for RHD vehicles.
Name:  India2MtnDivFront400.JPG
Views: 1656
Size:  15.7 KB
Differences between Army & Civilian Versions-mahindraaf400.jpg
Differences between Army & Civilian Versions-sinhabefore400.jpg
Old 1st March 2010, 23:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Not quite. My CJ3B RCL came with front bucket seats and all Army Jeeps i have seen have the bucket seats on the front. Im suppose you meant front seats, as no jeep ive seen, comes with rear bucket seats.

I heard that the Army Version of the of the T-90 tranny on a CJ Petrol is somewhat different than the civilian version. Maybe for more pulling power in a particular gear. Im not too sure about this, will someone like to elaborate on that please.
Sir, Please see my post above this one with pics. I have posted few Army/Airforce jeep pics. I was thinking that these seats were referred as bench or normal seats and the one's seen in CJ340 and Classic or any other modern car that got rails to move the seat front and back and lever to adjust the back rest position.
Old 2nd March 2010, 00:07   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Another difference in favour of the Army XD3P engines; they come equipped with an oil cooler that results in an additional 2.5 BHP (Total = 75 versus 72.5 for the civilian version).
Quote:

Spike
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
SPike,

Thanks, you have cleared a popular misconception
As far as i know, army 550 fitted with Delphi FIPs whereas civilian ones had Bosch, Additional BHP is coming from FIP, i could be wrong here though. I think Arka's question has the answer for that.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 2nd March 2010, 00:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

I rephrase my question, still awaiting an answer from experts.

Q: Is there any difference in the gear ratios of my RCL CJ3B as compared to a normal military or civilian one?

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Fuel pump for Army vehicles were rotary types with two makes Delphi-TVS with variable timing and MICO, so were the fuel filters and fuel injectors, Oil pump was of gear type with two makes UCAL and Fortuna

Spike
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Brush

Quote:
@Arka refer your post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1359185-post9.html there is nothing called as a Brush guard it is "Bush Guard" where does Brush come here?, although the insect screen serves to keep insects away from the radiator fins it is called as a "Chaffscreen", also D rings is technically called as "Lashing rings" this is for information to all fellow jeepers and forum members

Spike
Hi Spike,

Since we did not have a Serving M&M employee, opening up the BOM for us, I decided to use the South African/Australian name.

Brush is also a term applied to shrubs/shrub land.

When you drive through brush, you brush aside the branches and they snap back on your radiator.

Congratulations on becoming a JEEPer .

Regards,

Arka
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:07   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Q: Is there any difference in the gear ratios of my RCL CJ3B as compared to a normal military or civilian one?
No.

I am no expert. So open to confirmation.

As an aside, I am aware that the American chassis one came with coil springs at the rear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks