Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 15:41   #346
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which 4x4 should I buy : Thinking out aloud. EDIT : Finalised on a white Gypsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
, while slightly better, wasn't enough to put a smile on my face.!
Never said FFE and airfilter will put smile on your face, read carefully Clean up that darn company spec ports which look like Guna caves. Then we will talk!
Old 19th April 2011, 15:46   #347
Senior - BHPian

Power

Quote:
Arka - ran diagnostics. No alarms.
Spike - brakes are working fine.

I'll test out this weekend and see what the problem is.

-G
Hi Guru,

What about the Clutch and Cover Assembly?

Regards,

Arka
Old 19th April 2011, 17:07   #348
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which 4x4 should I buy : Thinking out aloud. EDIT : Finalised on a white Gypsy!

Why not dyno the engine also to see how it stands ^^
Old 19th April 2011, 18:22   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Never said FFE and airfilter will put smile on your face, read carefully Clean up that darn company spec ports which look like Guna caves. Then we will talk!
Will do Jaggu - I'll get on that right away. Which throttle body will bolt on to the Gypsy? Or will I need to get one made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Guru,

What about the Clutch and Cover Assembly?

Regards,

Arka
Hi Arka - clutch is new. Just got it installed 3 weeks back and there is no problem on the clutch front. The engine just sputters and doesn't spool up like it used to. If I am stuck against a rock the size of 2 footballs and I try to get the vehicle to roll over this rock (which it normally does with ease), it just loses steam. I don't want to rev it and abuse the clutch to clear such a small obstacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Why not dyno the engine also to see how it stands ^^
I'll speak to Jiggy and see what he can do for me...
Old 19th April 2011, 18:34   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Arka - clutch is new. Just got it installed 3 weeks back and there is no problem on the clutch front. The engine just sputters and doesn't spool up like it used to. If I am stuck against a rock the size of 2 footballs and I try to get the vehicle to roll over this rock (which it normally does with ease), it just loses steam. I don't want to rev it and abuse the clutch to clear such a small obstacle.
Hi Guru,

Does the MPFI have a sender/lift pump in the Petrol Tank?

Why did you change the clutch?

Regards,

Arka

PS - What are the reference/restore points for your vehicle?

Last edited by ex670c : 19th April 2011 at 18:36.
Old 19th April 2011, 19:05   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Guru,
Remember the suspected leak from the header? Did you get that rectified?
Old 19th April 2011, 19:51   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Guru,

Does the MPFI have a sender/lift pump in the Petrol Tank?

Why did you change the clutch?

Regards,

Arka

PS - What are the reference/restore points for your vehicle?
Hi Arka - the previous clutch burned out in 13000Kms after multiple OTRs including EXAMM, AKC, Palar recce, TPC, Mahape and many more. I was amazed it held up through all that abuse. I had to change the plates AND the flywheel as well this time. Both are new.

Restore points for me are:
1. revert to stock intake - Done
2. revert to stock exhaust - Done
3. revert to stock wheels with MT tires - not planning on this
4. revert to stock shackles - will try this tomorrow
5. disconnect ac compressor belt - will try this
6. retain ac belt but install electric fan instead of viscous clutch radiator fan - will try this if it makes logical sense and doesn't have downsides

Sender lift pump delivers fuel to the MPFI unit - not sure if Gypsy has this but I will check. I think it should have a fuel pump at that end because the fuel system is a pressurized one. If this pump fails I don't think the vehicle will get any fuel at all. It was starving when tilted forward...which theoretically should help push fuel to the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Guru,
Remember the suspected leak from the header? Did you get that rectified?
That was with the FFE. Now I am back to stock...no leaks.
Old 19th April 2011, 22:50   #353
Team-BHP Support

Your tuner should be able to help you with a bigger TB, you can check with The Mag if you want contact info in BLR. Dont fool around with AC install if its working fine, the load is negligible when switched off to cause any power drop. Same with shackles, how the heck will it give you more power??

The fuel pump for mpfi is inside the tank, its an integrated unit and if its conked engine will not fire properly also, so dont even bother that side.
Old 19th April 2011, 23:00   #354
BHPian

Guru i think you forgot a smallest and important part, please check for accelerator cable stretch, guys it happened to us once, don't laugh.
Old 20th April 2011, 08:47   #355
Senior - BHPian

Very important point Viji, I agree with your above point ^^. How was the problem traced out and what was the reason?

( I am not laughing)

Spike
Old 20th April 2011, 08:57   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Guru i think you forgot a smallest and important part, please check for accelerator cable stretch, guys it happened to us once, don't laugh.
Viji - does this mean the cable is stretched to a new length and re-setting the throttle cable by tightening will solve the problem?

Or does it mean that the cable is stretching under stress and I need to install a new cable?
Old 20th April 2011, 09:35   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So far the offset and smaller rim has taken care of that! Plus I have a 2" shackle lift and I have added leaf-springs and got them re-cambered so my Gypsy is taller than stock. I have also flattened some of the edges inside the wheel-well.
Do you know how much of power loss occurs because of the change in the drive train angles?

Quote:
Question for the non-purists here. Is it too silly to fit two small size wheels to the end of the leaf-spring mounts that jut out in front of the vehicle? This will prevent them from being damaged when approaching a climb AND it should ease the passage of the vehicle because instead of sliding/grinding them against the obstacle, they now just roll over instead.

Horrible idea?
Sheer genius?
Sheer Genius - I'd also work out a mechanism for getting my 4wd work there

On a serious note - You can avoid all that if you rework on the front bumper !!

Quote:
When I drove Imran Ladak's gypsy it was significantly faster and smoother than mine. Raj's Gypsy is also smoother and faster than mine. Is it because their engines have run in a lot more than mine in terms of sheer mileage? I've only done 14000 Kms. My car is just not peppy enough...bogs down at low revs.
Maybe their gypsies were tuned better than yours.

Dont get misled by such - Each vehicle is unique to drive and has a character which the driver has to understand to extract the max potential from it.
Cheers
Old 20th April 2011, 12:56   #358
Senior - BHPian

@Headers - there is no change in drive-train angles in my setup. I have not gone for SPOA or shifted my transfer case or engine mounts etc. I don't see how a body lift can change drive-train angles.

Yes each vehicle is unique and mine was running fine until after the Mahape OTR. I need to test it properly this weekend and figure out what is wrong.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:21   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Viji - does this mean the cable is stretched to a new length and re-setting the throttle cable by tightening will solve the problem?

Or does it mean that the cable is stretching under stress and I need to install a new cable?
Guru better to change it for a new cable,
Old 20th April 2011, 15:39   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Finally!

I got my Trepadors (235-75-R15) and after a long hunt for Alloys/Rims I settled for these HR 15" 7J 5-Spoke rims. I tried 8J and 8.5J but they were too big for the 235s.

This is pretty close to the final look of the Gypsy. In the second phase I will be adding the all-around bumpers (protecting fenders) and in the 3rd phase I will be adding the roll-cage and half-cabin.

From an internal mod perspective in the 3rd phase I will be adding the 4.16 crawler ratios, heavy-duty axles, heavy-duty transfer case mounts, heavy-duty clutch and winch.

Some pictures for now:

hey guys just wanted to know is the front bumper custom made or a stock one.and where can i get it....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks