Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2012, 17:47   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which 4x4 should I buy : Thinking out aloud. EDIT : Finalised on a white Gypsy!

It does help Neville...thanks a lot for the honest feedback. Swastik Viji also said that these aussie suspension products are designed more for the outback but not for hardcore OTR. I was hoping they would be good for Ladakh but your experience leads me to believe otherwise!

I think it would be best to switch to PU bushes all round, Gypsy stock leaf-springs and whichever shock you like (dampers). I am really interested in the PU bushes...rubber bushes are just not holding up!

But great info coming out here. Have you tried using a combination of OE leafsprings and OME?

Last edited by gsferrari : 27th February 2012 at 17:48.
Old 27th February 2012, 18:49   #377
BHPian

Re: Which 4x4 should I buy : Thinking out aloud. EDIT : Finalised on a white Gypsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post

But great info coming out here. Have you tried using a combination of OE leafsprings and OME?
I have presently over cambered the OME springs to get the max possible ride height for offroading. I'll use them this way for OTRs until they last. However will swap them with OE springs (again overcambered for max ride height), when I do Ladakh this year.

Would you know if the Ironman Shocks that you have installed are long travel. Also are they adjustable for different ride settings?
Old 27th February 2012, 18:59   #378
Senior - BHPian

They are long travel but not adjustable AFAIK. Let me check and get back to you.
Old 27th February 2012, 21:47   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Even I am getting out of OTR and into Expedition mode...inspired by my friend Rahul Gavand and Allan Almeida who has built several expedition spec vehicles. The requirements are very different between OTR and trail/expedition driving. For the latter...survival is priority.
Can't agree more, which is why I want to keep it as close to stock as possible. I'm running Tiger Kamani Type 1 on all four, after a bit over 1000 kms they've settled down and the ride is softer. I'm hoping they're as robust as they are claimed to be. Will get a good test of it next month when we attempt Spiti for a test sprint and end May-June will be doing Leh again.

My primary concern still is braking stability, will have to give FWHs a try to see if I get the same results as you. Shocks will have to wait till I get done with both trips.

But the weakest link for a touring Gypsy still is the small-ish range of the fuel tank. An auxilary tank is not an option for me since I have the stock HT and I don't yet intend to get a different HT.
codelust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 10:46   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It does help Neville...thanks a lot for the honest feedback. Swastik Viji also said that these aussie suspension products are designed more for the outback but not for hardcore OTR. I was hoping they would be good for Ladakh but your experience leads me to believe otherwise!
Guru, How are the leaf springs from Iron Man? Zac did say that they are quite good. Are they also as soft as the OME ones? Any info on this?
Quote:
I agree. It is great to hear experiences from you and Neville. Thanks to you both.

Cheers,
Deepak
Old 28th February 2012, 11:42   #381
Senior - BHPian

I have not tried the IM springs yet but I have heard they are also on the soft side due to the fact that they are designed more for trail and expedition rather than offroading. Also they are for the samurai which is lighter and shorter than the Gypsy.

Hard to say without a trial run ...
Old 28th February 2012, 14:45   #382
BHPian

can confirm that the stepping board is only on the navigator side. It protrudes quite a bit, and is lower set than the door (between the body and the ground).
Dear Sriku

We had a 1996 August model MG410W at home for 10 odd years and it came with the passenger side stepping boards. I dont know if it was a special fitment or a standard one, but it was mightily helpful since we had forward facing seats at the back and the ladies would need a stepping board while getting down from the vehicle.
I agree that I have hardly seen that kind of a stepping board in other Gypsies, but then again, I barely get to see a NEW Gypsy nowadays. All are old modded ones.
Old 29th February 2012, 22:21   #383
Senior - BHPian

I thought I could come up with a visual way of representing the difference made by the Ironman Nitro Gas Dampers. I have profiled two types of pot-holes and the suspension response of the stock dampers vs. the Ironman dampers.

gsferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 00:47   #384
BANNED

Quote:
I thought I could come up with a visual way of representing the difference made by the Ironman Nitro Gas Dampers. I have profiled two types of pot-holes and the suspension response of the stock dampers vs. the Ironman dampers.

Why dont you meet Mohnish from GT Tuners, he's the right man to reckon when it comes to 4X4, and especially if you need any IronMan components, he's the official distributor for Ironman 4x4

There is no one in the city who is as good a tuner when it comes to 4x4 and rally set-up cars other than Mohnish. Do let me know if you need directions.
Old 1st March 2012, 07:01   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
There is no one in the city who is as good a tuner when it comes to 4x4 and rally set-up cars other than Mohnish. Do let me know if you need directions.
WOW - Any laurels to his credit? How many Rallies & 4x4 events has he setup vehicles? Type? Mods done?
headers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 09:33   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
WOW - Any laurels to his credit? How many Rallies & 4x4 events has he setup vehicles? Type? Mods done?
Thanks for asking that question Vikram.
I only knew about Zac dealing with Iron Man stuff.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 12:52   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
My primary concern still is braking stability, will have to give FWHs a try to see if I get the same results as you. Shocks will have to wait till I get done with both trips.
FWHs are the first thing you want to fit to your Gypsy. Am sure you are aware that they were actually OE until some smart person at MUL decided to shave INR 11k off the manufacturing cost of the Gypsy by quoting they werent needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
But the weakest link for a touring Gypsy still is the small-ish range of the fuel tank. An auxilary tank is not an option for me since I have the stock HT and I don't yet intend to get a different HT.
Actually its very easy to have an auxillary fuel tank(plastic) Clamped on one side just inside the rear door. You should keep that empty when not needed, and when you do fill it up, make a hole in the cap of the plastic can and run a thin long piece of pipe thru it. Extend the other end of the pipe ouside the rear sliding window to prevent fumes from entering the cabin and viola you have the additional capacity.

Quote:
Wow!! that does appear to be a very settled ride you are getting there Guru. Now you are giving me ideas

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd March 2012 at 04:28. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
satan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 13:39   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guru,
Very interesting results in your graphical representation.
How did you arrive at this graph?
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 1st March 2012, 13:43   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
FWHs are the first thing you want to fit to your Gypsy.

Actually its very easy to have an auxiliary fuel tank(plastic) Clamped on one side just inside the rear door. You should keep that empty when not needed, and when you do fill it up, make a hole in the cap of the plastic can and run a thin long piece of pipe thru it. Extend the other end of the pipe ouside the rear sliding window to prevent fumes from entering the cabin and viola you have the additional capacity.
Will be getting a pair of FWHs probably today itself. Time to go shopping for the Gypsy!

I was thinking of finding a way to clamp the plastic tank (or can?) to the side (around the wheel well area). I have carried a 10 liter can with me before in the Swift, but that was wedged between the driver's seat and the rear seat for stability. If we are looking to the lake district in Ladakh in one go, I'll need ~30 liters extra, that has to be at least two big sized cans, which can be a hairy prospect to secure to anything.

Quote:
That is a really really interesting plot. I'm too getting quite interested in picking up a set soon. Anybody here who's running Blisten shocks to provide us a comparison?

Last edited by codelust : 1st March 2012 at 13:47.
Old 1st March 2012, 13:51   #390
Senior - BHPian

I think FWHs have made a massive difference to the daily driveability of the Gypsy. The steering is much lighter than before and the braking is VASTLY improved. I cannot stress how much this modification is recommended. The Lambda FWH ran me Rs.3200 including delivery and installation.

I wasn't sold on this until Swastik Viji (Vijaykumar) told me to blindly do it and I am grinning ever since!

Now - regarding the graph - it is just a mental picture you can build by looking at it. Yes the vehicle will still move vertically and there is still a bump...it is still very much a Gypsy. The difference is that every vertical move of the vehicle is more deliberate...like it is doing some thinking before it just moves in tune with the obstacle. This "damping" is totally down to the Ironman dampers and this is what makes those bumps much more tolerable and gives your body the time to come to terms with the bump instead of sending you flying off the seat.

I highly recommend you try this purely for road use. I have not yet tested these off-road and it looks like it is going to be a while before I do.

Loving the Gypsy now!! Still haven't switched to the 215 tires because it seems very driveable even with the 235s.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks