Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2010, 09:04   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Will you have to fabricate the seat mounts too or do they fit easily.
Harjeev bhai,

I guess he will have to fabricate custom seat mounts. I too had fitted Cielo's seats in front and had to built a custom mount. But it's a pretty easy, one-day job.

Nitin
Old 21st March 2010, 17:24   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
sounds like one sweet deal to me. will they fix on the stock mounts or you need to fabricate new ones?
I will be fabricating new mounts as the stock ones will fit too high and aren't directly compatible with the Gypsy floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Where are you fitting the blower and condenser of the aircon??? I was thinking of cutting the dashboard and fitting the Superking blower and cooling coil inside the dashboard itself
Condensor in front of radiator with a dedicated fan. Superking going behind dashboard on the passenger side. Have to cut the parcel tray from behind by 1.5 - 2 inches to get the blower to fit.

Quote:
Also are you retaining the stock blower or changing to a bigger one and where would you be installing it???
I am retaining the stock blower and modifying it to house a heater coil. This will not be in the car at all times. I will install it only when I am heading to Leh and it will go behind passenger seat.
Old 21st March 2010, 19:44   #168
BHPian

Ac

Hi Harjeev,

Pls ask Rahul of Motorcraft to show you the fitting of the AC in the Gypsy of AS (Dont want to spell out the name Rahul would understand )

This particular car has a fully integrated AC setup within the dashboard AC vents and you can only tell by the AC switch that one has been fitted. And the performance of the AC is simply amazing/

Will try to click some photographs and post when i see the car next.

By the way the same car also has Power Steering !
Old 21st March 2010, 19:48   #169
BHPian

you dont really need a heater for Leh unless you intend to camp out at night with the engine running.

but yeah a heater is a nice thing to have as i learnt when driving back from Uttaranchal through Madhya Pradesh
Old 21st March 2010, 20:13   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
you dont really need a heater for Leh unless you intend to camp out at night with the engine running.

but yeah a heater is a nice thing to have as i learnt when driving back from Uttaranchal through Madhya Pradesh
Considering the tight schedule and travel time between resting zones, a technical glitch in a remote area can leave me stranded, possibly overnight. I don't want to spend the night in sub-zero temperatures without heating. I am going to be there at the end of September so I think heating will play an important role. In any case, it is a temporary installation.
Old 22nd March 2010, 01:32   #171
BHPian

Cougar,
Can you sometime post the interior pics of your rear cabin. I am also planning something similar for my gypsy after leh trip. I am thinking of keeping my gypsy stock until my leh trip and all the modification will be done after that(AC, PS, Alloys,K&N, custom top,etc)
Old 22nd March 2010, 08:00   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Considering the tight schedule and travel time between resting zones, a technical glitch in a remote area can leave me stranded, possibly overnight. I don't want to spend the night in sub-zero temperatures without heating. I am going to be there at the end of September so I think heating will play an important role. In any case, it is a temporary installation.
First off, a heater will NOT help because it will require you to leave the engine running.

Secondly temperatures in Ladakh region do not go sub-zero during the day when you would normally be driving. And if it does go sub0zero what you need are good high-altitude sleeping bags more than anything else.

The only time we had a problem was in 2005 when we decided to camp in Jispa. It was early in the season (June) and we stupidly thought that if we were carrying tents we didnt need sleeping bags. Needless to say me and my co-rider froze our bollocks off.

Where a heater could be useful is when crossing Rajasthan, MP in early morning: like when making a 4 am start. It gets really cold and a heater would be a nice thing to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
Cougar,
Can you sometime post the interior pics of your rear cabin. I am also planning something similar for my gypsy after leh trip. I am thinking of keeping my gypsy stock until my leh trip and all the modification will be done after that(AC, PS, Alloys,K&N, custom top,etc)
I am going to do the rear seat afresh this saturday and will certainly post a thread on it. The idea is to have a regular looking seat which doubles up as a comfortable bed at night if the need arises to camp out and setting up a tent is not practical/possible.

As anyone who has tried to setup a tent in strong cross-winds in subzero temperatures will tell you, this could be a useful thing to have!

Last edited by Dippy : 22nd March 2010 at 09:42. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:30   #173
Senior - BHPian

My reply in line below...

Quote:
I will be fabricating new mounts as the stock ones will fit too high and aren't directly compatible with the Gypsy floor.

Make sure the mounts are rock solid, you will get an idea from the stock mounts.

Condensor in front of radiator with a dedicated fan. Superking going behind dashboard on the passenger side. Have to cut the parcel tray from behind by 1.5 - 2 inches to get the blower to fit.

The superking can be put into the dash without any cutting. Make sure the placement is correct. Yes you will have to semove the stock blower for that.

I am retaining the stock blower and modifying it to house a heater coil. This will not be in the car at all times. I will install it only when I am
heading to Leh and it will go behind passenger seat.

Its up to you, its just not required. More because its going to block your superking install

Quote:
First off, a heater will NOT help because it will require you to leave the engine running.

Secondly temperatures in Ladakh region do not go sub-zero during the day when you would normally be driving. And if it does go sub0zero what you need are good high-altitude sleeping bags more than anything else.

+1 on that.

I am going to do the rear seat afresh this saturday and will certainly post a thread on it. The idea is to have a regular looking seat which doubles up as a comfortable bed at night if the need arises to camp out and setting up a tent is not practical/possible.

Thats sounds like a great idea.

As anyone who has tried to setup a tent in strong cross-winds in subzero temperatures will tell you, this could be a useful thing to have!

Roy dont remind me of such times...
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:38   #174
Senior - BHPian

Kaushik - can you suggest a good mechanic to fit the seats? This is one area I don't want to leave to chance. Will call you to discuss.

Also stock blower will not be in the dash when heater is fitted. It will go behind passenger seat.
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:47   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kaushik - can you suggest a good mechanic to fit the seats? This is one area I don't want to leave to chance. Will call you to discuss.

Also stock blower will not be in the dash when heater is fitted. It will go behind passenger seat.
Sure.

If the stock blower in not going to be in the dash then there is no reason to cut the tray. The Superking should fit in.

So do you intend to have the hot air coming from the back?? or are you doing piping for that??
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:50   #176
BHPian

Quote:

HOLD ON! you are planning to have TWO blowers? Why exactly? The existing blower kit can be equipped with a heater right? My Gypsy is non-ac, but the heater works through the existing vents? What are the benefits with having an extra blower?

are u planning to putting the stock blower to blow air into the rear cabin? where will this stock blower be fitted? you are going to lose cabin space or space behind the dashboard.
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:54   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HOLD ON! you are planning to have TWO blowers? Why exactly? The existing blower kit can be equipped with a heater right? My Gypsy is non-ac, but the heater works through the existing vents? What are the benefits with having an extra blower?

are u planning to putting the stock blower to blow air into the rear cabin? where will this stock blower be fitted? you are going to lose cabin space or space behind the dashboard.
Roy, the existing blower does not have the heater coil installed. It also doesn't vent through the defrost vents. The output is also weak and hence I replaced it with a Superking blower. The stock blower will have to come out of the dashboard to install the superking. The original blower will be retained and used with a heater coil installed when I go to Leh but even this is tentative as Kaushik insists that Heater will not be needed.
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:02   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Hi Harjeev,

Pls ask Rahul of Motorcraft to show you the fitting of the AC in the Gypsy of AS (Dont want to spell out the name Rahul would understand )

This particular car has a fully integrated AC setup within the dashboard AC vents and you can only tell by the AC switch that one has been fitted. And the performance of the AC is simply amazing/

Will try to click some photographs and post when i see the car next.

By the way the same car also has Power Steering !
I know whos gypsy are you talking about. This same gypsy is the export model, isnt it???

Buddy I do not intend to retain the stock blower as I've heard the clilling of the superking is much better than the stock gypsy blower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
My reply in line below...

The superking can be put into the dash without any cutting. Make sure the placement is correct. Yes you will have to semove the stock blower for that.
Hey Kaushik,
I am planning to do just that. i plan to put the superking blower and remove the stock blower.
BTW is it possible to install a heater along with the superking blower or does the heater always need to be installed separately in the gypsy???

Also does someone have pictures of the superking blower installed in the stock vents. Does the dashboard have to be cut and the whole blower goes inside the dash???
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:38   #179
Senior - BHPian

The blower is a separate unit and it isn't installed in the vents. The blower's output is connected to the vents with the help of flexible hosing. The dashboard is removed and the blower is installed inside the dash.

In my case, the stock 4-port output side of the Superking was removed and a single hole output was made to mate up with the Gypsy's stock tubing. This adapter was made from fiberglass. The benefit is that the stock tubing is used. Overall a neater and cleaner job.
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:31   #180
Senior - BHPian

GS - Pics please

We are waiting for those and i am waiting to experience the AC of your gypsy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks