Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 15:20   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Congrats on your King, livewire.

I have also bought a used Gypsy King and I am also looking to install Tyre upgrade, AC, Music System, heat insulation and CFLs (in that order). I bought rear sofa from Mayapuri and it's strictly OK; I am still looking for ways to install Innova third row seats in the rear.

Regarding CFLs, I am still not convinced that they are reliable enough. Member here have tried front CFLs and they break. Pretty frequently. And although there have been no instances of rear CFLs breaking, I do not have confidence in them. So for the time being I am opting for gas-filled shocks (Monroe? 1K each?).

Aren't you opting for free-wheeling hubs. They will greatly improve the steering and maneuverability. They are available at Rajsthan Auto Enterprises, Kashmiri gate.

Tyres - I will be going for Yokohama 215.75/R15s; they are available for 2700 apiece, what is the price you are getting?

AC - fellow member gotzuk (Vaibhav) had got AC fitted in his MPFI King, by a mechanic in Moti Bagh and is quite happy with it. We caqn explore that, or the names you have mentioned.

Will the heat insulation help in cooling as well? If yes, please tell me more about it; I will also get it done.

Music system - I have a music lying around from my previous car, will be getting that fitted. Will be talking to an ICE guy this week-end regarding speakers' position. Will update you about that.

Cheers

Nitin
Well i have a couple of mods planned meself.
1. Tyre upgrade: after months of searching, i've finally picked up the Michelins Cross Latitude 215/75/R15 (5300 including tax a piece) and immediately i can feel a world of diff in the ride and handling. 215's compromise slightly on the pick up as the overall diameter increases (orginal tyres are 205/70/R15)-but it more than makes up for the ride quality (the original ceat tyres suck). Got 10K off on the OEM one's.

2. Getting a/c,insulation, rear front facing seats and customer paint job done from azad designs in gulabi bagh (north delhi)
* a/c - he's convincing me that he's "done it on 100;s of gypsies and never a prob"
* insulation & upholstry - heatlon and roof and the flooring + paneling, trims on the door and the body
* Custom made front facing rear bucket seats (he;s exchanging the existing side facing benches)
* custom paint job - yet to decide the colour. Have got my hands on a DuPont paint card

3. CFL - for sure, but mebe a lil later. The new tyres have geatly improved the ride and its not longer bouncing like a cat on a hot tin roof. But have never heard of an issue with rear CFL. Front yes - have heard horror stories.

4. Music system - yes, have a reliable guy in Vikas Puri - will let him figure out the best options

A/c is the only concern with me - will PM gotzuk for the moti bagh guy.

so there you go
Old 6th March 2010, 15:24   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
regd tyres, today i spoke to a guy and he quoted 5200 a piece for Yoko Geolander 235/75 R15 in Mumbai. Can anyone tell me whether this is the right price.
Looks a couple of 100's more. As an indication 215's cost 4700, so suspect 235's to be 5K. Michelin has the same logic
Old 11th March 2010, 22:03   #33
BHPian

gentlemen - apologies for the hiatus..was researching.

so, as promised, here are the snaps of the white beauty. It has today been handed over for the makeover. snaps of work in progress will follow.

am attaching some profile snaps of the gypsy hard top along with the new set of wheels that have been added (michelin latitude cross)

njoi
Attached Thumbnails
King of the road - Gypsy 1.3 MPFI-all-pics.jpg  

Old 12th March 2010, 13:37   #34
BHPian

Congrats livewire your purchase looks great! and also i thought hard top gypsys came with front facing back seats isnt it?

hey does anyone have any info on whether or not BSIII gypsys will be available in non metro cities after april 1?

hey livewire i think you mentioned that you will be using your gypsy on a daily basis and also will be used to transport your family, if u get the time can you give us a full drive test and experience report driving a gypsy as a family vehicle please.
Old 12th March 2010, 15:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Livewire,

Tyres seems to okay for offroading too. Do not change them until they become redundant.
Old 12th March 2010, 15:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
hey does anyone have any info on whether or not BSIII gypsys will be available in non metro cities after april 1?
Yes, they will continue to sell as BSIII in non metro cities.

Spike
Old 13th March 2010, 09:53   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats livewire your purchase looks great! and also i thought hard top gypsys came with front facing back seats isnt it?

hey livewire i think you mentioned that you will be using your gypsy on a daily basis and also will be used to transport your family, if u get the time can you give us a full drive test and experience report driving a gypsy as a family vehicle please.
@amrisharm - yes, the erstwhile version hard top versions came with front facing rear seats (i know for sure coz my uncle had one). But somewhere down the line gypsy's have become a "8 seater" to take on some "excise benefit", hence the 5 seater option is no longer avaialable. But you get front facing rear seats with ease. There are guys who custom make (azad designs in delhi) and there are seats that can be retro fitted (sierra, innova 3rd row)

also the gypsy will not be used daily (I ride a RE Classic as well)..but will update on the drive report with family once I get it back - but suspect that it'll not be radically different unless I replace the rear suspension with CFL et al..more to follow.
cheerio
Old 13th March 2010, 11:46   #38
BHPian

Hi "spike Arrestor" i read somewhere that from now till the new BSIV gypsy comes (july i think), production of BSIII gypsys will be stopped, and that MUL will be selling stock that they have already produced. That would mean limited BSIII gypsys right? or are you trying to tell me that the Gypsy will be produced with 2 engine specifications even after the BSIV gypsy is launched? God I am confused! hahaha.

The problem for me lies in the fact that Due to my lack of a long income tax history (came to india in 2008), i am having a hard time getting financing. So when I do buy a gypsy it will be a full cash payment. According to my calculations, i should have the money ready most likely in may. And i would hate to miss out on a powerful BSIII version.

Hey "livewire", sorry for the constant questions, but how is the gypsy to drive in the city? Specifically while reversing and parking? Is the rear visibility acceptable while reversing? any 1st hand figures on mileage?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th March 2010 at 09:14. Reason: one logical post
Old 14th March 2010, 12:10   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Hi "spike Arrestor" i read somewhere that from now till the new BSIV gypsy comes (july i think), production of BSIII gypsys will be stopped, and that MUL will be selling stock that they have already produced. That would mean limited BSIII gypsys right? or are you trying to tell me that the Gypsy will be produced with 2 engine specifications even after the BSIV gypsy is launched? God I am confused! hahaha.

The problem for me lies in the fact that Due to my lack of a long income tax history (came to india in 2008), i am having a hard time getting financing. So when I do buy a gypsy it will be a full cash payment. According to my calculations, i should have the money ready most likely in may. And i would hate to miss out on a powerful BSIII version.

Hey "livewire", sorry for the constant questions, but how is the gypsy to drive in the city? Specifically while reversing and parking? Is the rear visibility acceptable while reversing? any 1st hand figures on mileage?
@amrishram
1) BS IV is coming into effect from 1st april in 13 cities - hence the present BS III variant of the gyspy will not be "avaialble" and cannot be "registered" in these cities, hence the non-availability. But this BS III variant will be "avaialble" and can be "registered" in all other cities (where BS IV is not applicable). So, if you are in siliguri, post 1st april, you will be able to pick up the BS III variant in the same way that you can today. Nett-nett, post 1st apr both BS III and BS IV (as andd when it comes out) variants of the gypsy will be avaialble depending on which city one is in.

2) Driving in the city: well, have'nt had a chance to drive around much as it had to get into customization. But for the 100 odd kms that i did, I found the drive as expected i.e, steering is ok as long as the vehicle is moving, parking and reversing obviously takes some effort, but its about getting used to to (i still drive a M800 so am used to the non power steering). Also if you upgrade your tyres (i have put michelin latitude corss 215/75/R15) then the ride quality improves drastically the steering gets harder on stationary.
Visibilty while reversing is bit of an issue, but for an additional 7K (in delhi), one can get the reverse camera fitted(the same kinds that is available in the top end Tata Safari Dicor 2.2). Have nt got it done so far as am deciding whether i need it or not.

No figures on the mileage, but I've heard that if you can get more than 10kms to a litre then you are gifter
hope this helped
Old 14th March 2010, 12:14   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Livewire,

Tyres seems to okay for offroading too. Do not change them until they become redundant.
Dwarka - i've read up on these tyres a lot. Although they are relatively new in the market, but i've read a comparo between conti's bfg and michelins and the michelins came out on tops overall

Yes-the bfg and the conti were a tad better on hard-core off-roading but the michelins were exceptionally well in mud, snow, slush and dirt

so you are spot on
Old 27th March 2010, 17:13   #41
BHPian

Gentlemen...

an update. A/C has been installed and is performing pretty ok. A lil bit of issue in the 1st gear - the engine tends to stall and I have to rev a lil more than usual - but i think thats due to the adjustment in the ecb (or rather the lack of it). And I am given to understand that this is something I have to live with (as no one has been able to alter / adjust the ecb). Any thoughts what can be done. I dont want the rev setting to be a constant high as i'll get drained on the petrol consumption. SO any ideas out there?

Got a custom paint job done and the entire interiors. Uploading snaps of the paint job, interiors will follow. Am just waiting for the running in to get over before I can push this baby.

More later, keep it fast and safe gentlemen.
Attached Thumbnails
King of the road - Gypsy 1.3 MPFI-aqua-1.jpg  

Old 27th March 2010, 17:19   #42
BHPian

Guys - just noticed that my gyspy is "depressed" by an inch or so on the left side (both back and front). I suspect it s a faulty leaf spring/shocker? Any ideas? I've harldy driven it for 300kms and its been all city driving.
Am planning to take it to the dealer later this week, so lets see what he has to say.
Old 27th March 2010, 21:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

paint choice is something new and refreshing. nice one mate. i really like it.
Old 27th March 2010, 22:10   #44
BHPian

Livewire .. That is a really nice color. I noticed that the front left front on my Gypsy is depressed about half an inch too. Not so noticeable on the rear.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:03   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire View Post
Guys - just noticed that my gyspy is "depressed" by an inch or so on the left side (both back and front). I suspect it s a faulty leaf spring/shocker? Any ideas? I've harldy driven it for 300kms and its been all city driving.
Am planning to take it to the dealer later this week, so lets see what he has to say.
My gypsy has got the same problem too , what could be the cause ? mechanic told it cannot be repaired , but i doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire View Post
Gentlemen...

an update. A/C has been installed and is performing pretty ok. A lil bit of issue in the 1st gear - the engine tends to stall and I have to rev a lil more than usual - but i think thats due to the adjustment in the ecb (or rather the lack of it). And I am given to understand that this is something I have to live with (as no one has been able to alter / adjust the ecb). Any thoughts what can be done. I dont want the rev setting to be a constant high as i'll get drained on the petrol consumption. SO any ideas out there?

Got a custom paint job done and the entire interiors. Uploading snaps of the paint job, interiors will follow. Am just waiting for the running in to get over before I can push this baby.

More later, keep it fast and safe gentlemen.
Livewire my gypst too stalls in the low end RPM , when i asked my mechanic he told there is a problem with flywheel. thinking of taking my gypsy to MASS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks