Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2010, 15:54   #1
BHPian

King of the road - Gypsy 1.3 MPFI

Guys -
A quick introduction - an auto enthusiast and an avid traveler, have been bitten by the Gypsy bug for as long as I can remember. Result - finally decided to materialise my dream of owning a Gypsy. So the research began and I happen to chance on this forum. With the details seldom found on any other forum, it became pretty easy for me to take the plunge.
Cut to Circa 2010 and I am a proud owner of a brand new Gypsy King 1.3 MPFI hard top

Just got it over the weekend, so will upload the pics soon. It s a plain white (maruti folks said its the easiest and fastest availability and i did not wanna take a chance with the BS IV staring in the face)

So-the next steps? I have a couple of things planned and this is where help is needed:

1. The famous gypsy ride quality - have heard so much about the CFL (rear, Rs. 12 K a set) should i go in for them?

2. Tyre updgrade - want to keep the stock rims. Am thinking of 215/75/r15. Will 65 aspect ratio be better as the 75 might increase the overall height? How will it affect the handling and the ride quality. Am thinking Michelin latitude cross, BF Goodrich, Yoko's and the newly available Conti's. Usage will be 40% city, 30% highway and 30% off roading

3. As this is also going to by "my" primary car (meaning that my family will also have a "right of ride") I need to get an a/c and heater installed (delhi summers suck). Have gone through the numerous threads, but need a name and a number for realiable, tried and tested mechanic in Delhi. Will pay for quality. Someone recommeded Quick refigerants in Lajpat and one by the name of Azad Designs in Gulabi Bagh (near Roshanara Road, north delhi). Any feedback?

4. Heatlon insulation as I plan a leh trip this year (along with himachal and kasmir)

5. Rear sofa type seat instead of the side facing benches. Again Azad designs says he will exchange the 2 benches for the rear sofa seat (with bucket type cusioning)

6 Music system (hate driving without music) - whats the best combo? nothing fancy, maybe just a 4 speaker set. Is this an easy job to do? As in any reputed accessory guy can do it?

7. If i have the money left then maybe a custome paint job. Not high on the priority list, but a like-to-do (all delhi govt vehivles are white gypsy's)

So thats the laundry list so far. Whadya guys think?

cheerio
Old 1st March 2010, 16:44   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase of the Gypsy livewire. Am sure you will be enjoying every minute of the drive & the ride ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire View Post
1. The famous gypsy ride quality - have heard so much about the CFL (rear, Rs. 12 K a set) should i go in for them?
Yeah, can go for the rear. They WORK..!!!

Quote:
2. Tyre updgrade - want to keep the stock rims. Am thinking of 215/75/r15. Will 65 aspect ratio be better as the 75 might increase the overall height? How will it affect the handling and the ride quality. Am thinking Michelin latitude cross, BF Goodrich, Yoko's and the newly available Conti's. Usage will be 40% city, 30% highway and 30% off roading
215 is the way to go. Best size for all round needs. Any one of the BFG/Yoko should do. Go for one which you prefer. All are good.
Old 1st March 2010, 17:05   #3
BHPian

congrats livewire on acquiring a new gypsy , it must be awesome to own a brand new gypsy , waiting for the pics of the new born gypsy , sight to sore eyes .
Old 1st March 2010, 17:08   #4
BHPian

Since you said that you need an AC with heater and that you dont mind spending for it, go for the OE AC for the gypsy. Many might now say that its not available, so i am attaching a small proof. This AC goes into the export models. The whole cost of the parts will set you back byRs. 44000. You can buy the same by placing a order.

Tyres:

I would suggest you go for 215/75/15. For better handling maintain a pressure of 24 psi (nitrogen)
Attached Thumbnails
King of the road - Gypsy 1.3 MPFI-dsc09046.jpg  

King of the road - Gypsy 1.3 MPFI-dsc09047.jpg  

Old 1st March 2010, 17:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Livewire,

Congratulations ! go for Yokos 215 75 r 15. It is a performer on road and offroad. CFL is ideal for rear for comfort.

What else you need? AC go for subros, maruti suzuki OE fitment.
Old 2nd March 2010, 00:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mate, the gypsy indeed is a livewire to drive
Old 2nd March 2010, 00:20   #7
BHPian

Congrats Livewire.
I am trying my luck for red color and don't know when it will materialize. I have only 2 options either take a delivery of white BSIII Gypsy or wait for a Red BSIV(don't know that they are doing with it)

Last edited by Amar82 : 2nd March 2010 at 00:22.
Old 2nd March 2010, 01:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats LiveWire!

Pics..... please!
Old 2nd March 2010, 09:42   #9
BHPian

Congrats on your gypsy!!!
And trust me - you will fall in love with the white. I have a white gypsy too and the respect I get on the road from cops and other motorists alike is addictive.
Cheers
GB
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:11   #10
BHPian

Congrats Buddy! Good to see enthusiasts picking up the Gypsy brand new!!

Please post some pics.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:10   #11
BHPian

Congrats on your King, livewire.

I have also bought a used Gypsy King and I am also looking to install Tyre upgrade, AC, Music System, heat insulation and CFLs (in that order). I bought rear sofa from Mayapuri and it's strictly OK; I am still looking for ways to install Innova third row seats in the rear.

Regarding CFLs, I am still not convinced that they are reliable enough. Member here have tried front CFLs and they break. Pretty frequently. And although there have been no instances of rear CFLs breaking, I do not have confidence in them. So for the time being I am opting for gas-filled shocks (Monroe? 1K each?).

Aren't you opting for free-wheeling hubs. They will greatly improve the steering and maneuverability. They are available at Rajsthan Auto Enterprises, Kashmiri gate.

Tyres - I will be going for Yokohama 215.75/R15s; they are available for 2700 apiece, what is the price you are getting?

AC - fellow member gotzuk (Vaibhav) had got AC fitted in his MPFI King, by a mechanic in Moti Bagh and is quite happy with it. We caqn explore that, or the names you have mentioned.

Will the heat insulation help in cooling as well? If yes, please tell me more about it; I will also get it done.

Music system - I have a music lying around from my previous car, will be getting that fitted. Will be talking to an ICE guy this week-end regarding speakers' position. Will update you about that.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

regd tyres, today i spoke to a guy and he quoted 5200 a piece for Yoko Geolander 235/75 R15 in Mumbai. Can anyone tell me whether this is the right price.
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:48   #13
Team-BHP Support

Congratz! Money well spent! Now awaiting pics.

OT: MUL will surely be surprised with the number of Gyspsy's flying off the production line to civilian owners
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Aren't you opting for free-wheeling hubs. They will greatly improve the steering and maneuverability. They are available at Rajsthan Auto Enterprises, Kashmiri gate.
What make are you getting there: Aisin or Lambda?
Quote:
Tyres - I will be going for Yokohama 215.75/R15s; they are available for 2700 apiece, what is the price you are getting?
2700 for 215 75 R15 Yokos? Should be in the range of 4300 - 4500 types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
OT: MUL will surely be surprised with the number of Gyspsy's flying off the production line to civilian owners
Jaggu, Any change of plans? (A shortened wheel base, petrol engined crawler)

Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by starter : 2nd March 2010 at 23:54.
Old 3rd March 2010, 06:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
What make are you getting there: Aisin or Lambda?
Lamda

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
2700 for 215 75 R15 Yokos? Should be in the range of 4300 - 4500 types.
oops. It was a typo; I meant 4700.

\N

Last edited by ntomer : 3rd March 2010 at 06:48.

Most Viewed