Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:21   #1
BHPian

Jeep Rusting and disintegrating:

I Had been to a Mission Hospital in Malapuram district Kerala recently to prepare a report. Going around the campus I found this neglected Mahindra ambulance. It looks worth saving and restoring. Pl see the pics and feel free to comment.
Cheers
Dr.Messiah
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Rusting and disintegrating:-new-032.jpg  

Jeep Rusting and disintegrating:-new-033.jpg  

Jeep Rusting and disintegrating:-new-034.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2010, 13:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

It looks like a hard-top version of the CL500D. Do you have any complete pics of the front of the vehicle. Also, do you know if it is 4WD or 2WD?
Old 2nd March 2010, 13:48   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
It looks like a hard-top version of the CL500D. Do you have any complete pics of the front of the vehicle. Also, do you know if it is 4WD or 2WD?
The body is still neat. its a 2WD CJ500D LWB.
Old 2nd March 2010, 13:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Hi,
I have the front view pic. but unable to downsize it and upload.

i shall put it up once i am able to download

Cheers,

Messiah
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmessiah View Post
Hi,
I have the front view pic. but unable to downsize it and upload.

i shall put it up once i am able to download

Cheers,

Messiah
Front Pic of Mahindra CL500
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Rusting and disintegrating:-new-031.jpg  

Old 12th March 2010, 07:31   #6
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I plan to restore this jeep. The body is made of aluminium and hence no rust. The few place were minimal rust is seen is on the bonnet.The vehicle hasnt seen the road since 10 years. I have to open up the engine and the gearbox and overhaul it. The wiring looks bad and I wish to redo the entire wiring. A new battery is a must. The seating arrangement will also be changed into all front facing ones.
One issue is this vehicle is a 2WD. I wish to convert into a 4WD. Is it possible to buy a new 4 WD system for this vehicle. It is a CJ 500. The RC books says it was registered in 1969. Would this changing be sensible. I am planing to change the color as well. into red and white combination or smoke grey and cream combination.

Please do comment and guide me as to get this vehicle back on the road.

drmessiah.
Old 12th March 2010, 10:34   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@drmessiah:

First off, what is attracting you toward this jeep? Why not get an mm540 instead. This vehicle has totally dated mechanicals with a 35 bhp engine. With the weight of the hard top you won't be able to keep up with those scary APEs in kerala. Again, if you are bent on getting this vehicle, these are my suggestions:

1) First this is a taxi vehicle so you will have to find out the cost of converting it to a private vehicle. Otherwise you need to have yellow plates and a badge to drive this vehicle. Badge is needed for driving any vehicle with commercial (yellow) licence plates.

2) The engine is so underpowered that you will not enjoy driving this vehicle. So your best bet is to pick up an XD3P engine with 4x4 gear box combo from Mayapuri and install it in this vehicle.

3) With the 75 bhp engine, you will need to upgrade your brakes to power/disc brakes. This can also be sourced from Mayapuri.

4) With the 75 bhp engine and hard top you will be able to add an AC as well.

5) Go in for bigger tires and you will have a nice jeep.

At a minimum you need to do steps 1-3. Otherwise it is not worth getting this jeep, in my opinion.
Old 12th March 2010, 11:58   #8
BHPian

Thank you 4x4 Addict for the reply,

My interest in this vehicle is just to restore it and keep for occasional drives.
This is not a taxi, its an institutional vehicle. I head the institution and want to keep it in the hospital as this is the 1st ambulance bought by the hospital.
We have other newer ambulance as well now.

The body is all Aluminium and my assumption is that it will not be that heavy for the engine to haul.

I wish to purchase a new 4x4 mechanicals and mate it to the existing gearbox which is a 3 speed and engine.

tyres will be the NDMS type for jeeps.

Cheers,

drmessiah
Old 12th March 2010, 12:08   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Hello Friends,

I plan to restore this jeep. The body is made of aluminium and hence no rust. The few place were minimal rust is seen is on the bonnet.The vehicle hasnt seen the road since 10 years. I have to open up the engine and the gearbox and overhaul it. The wiring looks bad and I wish to redo the entire wiring. A new battery is a must. The seating arrangement will also be changed into all front facing ones.
One issue is this vehicle is a 2WD. I wish to convert into a 4WD. Is it possible to buy a new 4 WD system for this vehicle. It is a CJ 500. The RC books says it was registered in 1969. Would this changing be sensible. I am planing to change the color as well. into red and white combination or smoke grey and cream combination.

Please do comment and guide me as to get this vehicle back on the road.

drmessiah.
Dude, for the money you need to spend here, you can get a decent used Jeep in working condition. And think about the effort.
Old 12th March 2010, 14:31   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
My interest in this vehicle is just to restore it and keep for occasional drives.
This vehicle has no real value so unless you get it really cheap, you won't recover any money you spend on restoration. If you were to restore a CJ/CL340 or MM540, you will most likely get back your investment but not with a CJ500. There are more CJ500s that people in Kerala and the older ones really hold no value.

Quote:
This is not a taxi, its an institutional vehicle. I head the institution and want to keep it in the hospital as this is the 1st ambulance bought by the hospital.
Ambulances have yellow commercial plates so from an RTO perspective it is treated the same way as a taxi/commercial vehicle with yellow plates. You will need to either 1) Convert it to private (white) plates or 2) get a badge to drive it and also take it for regular inspections to the RTO. All vehicles with yellow plates need to comply with this rule.

Quote:
The body is all Aluminium and my assumption is that it will not be that heavy for the engine to haul.
I feel your assumption is incorrect. 35 bhp was hardly enough to move a soft top let alone any kind of hard top. Aluminium hard top as not feather weight. It maybe lighter than steel but still heavy.

Quote:
I wish to purchase a new 4x4 mechanicals and mate it to the existing gearbox which is a 3 speed and engine.
You cannot change the existing three speed to 4x4. You will need to change the following for a 4x4 conversion:
1)Gear box
2) Front Axle assembly
3)Rear Axle assembly.
Old 12th March 2010, 18:56   #11
BHPian

Thank you 4x4 and zaks,

you have opened my eyes. Yeah its not worthy to use the same engine to run the vehicle. Its going to be used by the hospital itself. So the yellow board is not a problem. I am the CEO of the hospital, so no issues with the formalities.
sourcing a suitable new engine with a 4x4 gearbox and the upgrading of brakes, will that be a issue and is it available like that from Mahindra? I am ignorant so please do guide me. does the RTA allow this type of conversion in Kerala?

Drmessiah.
Old 12th March 2010, 19:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you 4x4 and zaks,

you have opened my eyes. Yeah its not worthy to use the same engine to run the vehicle. Its going to be used by the hospital itself. So the yellow board is not a problem. I am the CEO of the hospital, so no issues with the formalities.
sourcing a suitable new engine with a 4x4 gearbox and the upgrading of brakes, will that be a issue and is it available like that from Mahindra? I am ignorant so please do guide me. does the RTA allow this type of conversion in Kerala?

Drmessiah.
Why don't you simply go for New NGCS MAJOR 4X4 (CL550). Buy it before April (BS4 Restrictions)

It will be more relaible & easy.. I think 4WD retails @ around 5 lakhs.
Old 12th March 2010, 19:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Why don't you simply go for New NGCS MAJOR 4X4 (CL550). Buy it before April (BS4 Restrictions)

It will be more relaible & easy.. I think 4WD retails @ around 5 lakhs.
That was quick offroad maniac,

We have already booked a new Bolero for the hospital. This vehicle was the first vehicle the hospital bought in 1969, so we dont feel like disposing it off and as we all know even disposing is no good, because it has no value in the market.
Old 12th March 2010, 19:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
That was quick offroad maniac,

We have already booked a new Bolero for the hospital. This vehicle was the first vehicle the hospital bought in 1969, so we dont feel like disposing it off and as we all know even disposing is no good, because it has no value in the market.
Nice thing you are doing. Appreciate. Bring back a JEEP to its glory...Good luck with it.
Old 12th March 2010, 20:27   #15
BHPian

Are you from malappuram ?? Directly go to sakkeers's garage at Manjeri. For Mechanical work Sakeer will fit you almost any engine and gearbox on any vehicle and for the body work "Nethavu" is there. Somany years ago he made a new model bumber for Film star Mammooty's Contessa .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks