Team-BHP - What’s the best Off-roader under 10L? EDIT : Bought a Gurkha!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   What’s the best Off-roader under 10L? EDIT : Bought a Gurkha! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/77027-what-s-best-off-roader-under-10l-edit-bought-gurkha-2.html)

You need to compliment the existing power with crawler ratios, lockers and maybe rock crawler bars, and thats all a light vehicle like gypsy require to do a vertical climb. Go out with these BLR offroaders in one or two trips and then you will have a better feel of things. Then get back to drawing board, it will be more realistic.

Anything is possible, trick is to keep its simple so that its doable (practical) day in day out.

You talk about V6 and all, we dont even have decent mechanics to plonk in a V6 in a jeep or a car and get it right, even if its the 5th attempt. Thats the state of affairs!

Yes Sir will do that,

Actually Me & My Bro drew down till chikabellapur on the previous BLR OTR, his Gypsy was 1 day Old w.r.t us at that time & lots of things to be fixed, we reached Chikabelapur @ 1:15 pm & decided to return back as we had to be back in BLR by 5:00 pm to attend a function, very bad move !!!! missed a golden opportunity :(

You are right I need to see things in action to get a feel for the same,
Have been Bugging Khan Sultan over phone to join some BLR OTR but sadly none happening now a days due to the hot weather I believe, after reading all his threads It feels like I know him personally, he must be wondering the way I spoke to him over phone, without ever meeting him.

As you too are form Bangalore, we could provably meet-up some time to chat, I will PM my number.

Yes you are right w.r.t the state of Affairs, given my time & knowledge constrains ( I am a Diploma and a Bachelors in Electronics & communication, MS in micro electronics & EPBM from IIMC with no mechanical or automobile academic background ) was wondering if we could lure some automobile / mech students in to doing this as a project work & that could make a win win situation .

@ All,

Guys Thanks fro you patience so far,
I am actually surprised that no one has put a hard wip on me for such an Idea (at least as yet)

Cheers
Sunil

I have not done the actual footwork on this myself, only Google finger work. Two motors will present you with the huge problem of synchronizing them. One engine will always push or pull harder than the other one and the difference will be realized in friction that will break stuff. You will spend huge amounts of money on that and then probably fail, frankly. You will also get something that is very heavy and either has no room to carry anything or it will be monstrously big and hard to drive.

Instead, how about starting out with a large displacement truck engine? Tata's Cummins affiliation may result in a nice 5.9 liter cummins. Hino (Toyota truck) is another source. These already take turbos. What to put it in?

Easy. A Nissan 4W73 which looks something like this.

See Arka's thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...aka-1-ton.html

The rumor is that Arka sleeps inside or under this truck most nights. You do not have to get this snuggy with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hisunil (Post 1774181)

@ All,

Guys Thanks fro you patience so far,
I am actually surprised that no one has put a hard wip on me for such an Idea (at least as yet)

Cheers
Sunil

Thats what TBhp is all about. we dont discourage people about their ideas, we come out with the rational and practical advice.

one for all, all for one....TBhp!

I know nothing mechanical or technical but i should say Kudos for having such a thought, whether it materialises or not is a different thing altogether.

and as suggested by one and all, the 'safest' road to this would be to go for a MM or Gypsy and modding it. You can do all that you want and even then not exhaust your whole kitty of 10L, maybe :)

sunil ; even if you have money, you will need to spend lot of time behind this coz havent heard of some thing like this here in India ( maybe there are ). Asking students to do it will be too amateurish. You plan is too complicated for them to venture but you can do this phase by phase.

I would suggest that you start hunting for a Gypsy asap. Gotta start somewhere.

Sunil - you can leave the Jugaad for later. Get a Gypsy now while you can!

@ Dan are you from Dharamsala in HP?

Lost reading about Tata's Cummins that you had suggested, some interesting reading I found listed below:
Cummins 5.9 liter and 6.7 liter inline six-cylinder diesel engines

If I can source on of these from the Tata Cummins in INDIA, that would be lovely.
Yet to read about Toyota Hino & Arka's thread.

No Defiantly I don't want to be that coze & snuggly to sleep under a Jeep/Truck! ;)

@ Parm, yes thats the spirit & I am loving it !

@ Desmosedici Thanks Buddy

@ jkdas Yes Students are armatures, but with lots of time & even more importantly enthusiasm, couple then with internet knowledge & a garage guru who gives the space tools & basic help in terms of mounting fittings etc also sponcer the project then, I believe we have something going. Is it the best? no definitely not, but a good start point & the only practical way.

I have started the hunt for a 1.3L MPFI MG413 thats KA reg already (from last 2 months), but haven't found one & also not sure if thats the route to take for sure, hence this thread.

@ GS Ferrari I cant do both, I will surely not do the Jugaad if I have a New Gypsy, hence still contemplating my options.

Our own Randel spoke to me for about 45 mins YTD night & we might know about OM611's availability soon (like by this Monday)

Cheers
Sunil

OM611 as per Mohan (Doc) is due in 3 months. If you can wait then I would take that route. I wanted a relatively hassle free ownership experience as the Gypsy will be my main car. Heart wanted a Gurkha...Head wanted a Gypsy and my wallet always sides with my head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari (Post 1775327)
OM611 as per Mohan (Doc) is due in 3 months. If you can wait then I would take that route. I wanted a relatively hassle free ownership experience as the Gypsy will be my main car. Heart wanted a Gurkha...Head wanted a Gypsy and my wallet always sides with my head.

Ha Ha Haaa I guess that was the case while choosing the MT, was it?

Yes you are right, its probable best to wait for OM611 Gurkha, I say this now as they have already launched the TT with OM611, hence hopes for the same on Gurkha have returned.

Will wait for More News on the same.

Cheers
Sunil

Quote:

Originally Posted by hisunil (Post 1773752)
has NOBODY tried actually building a bimotor in our forum to get some real life experience?

There is a work in progress right now. I've seen it 40% ready a few months ago. Unfortunately, that's all i can diverge.

Guys Got my self a Gurkha Soft top ;)

Thanks to Our own Rahul rhandle who is the very reason I knew about the vehicle on offer.

Special Thanks to Vasudeva Rao who was kind & Courteous enough to answer all my calls & reply to all SMS for last couple of weeks, really Appreciated his trust in giving the vehicle for a half a day trial before purchase.

We Had been to the BhogaNandi temple (9th century) at the base of Nandi Hills yesterday
took the newely bought Sonata V6 2.7 AT (2004 model done 53K) http://bangalore.quikr.com/SONATA-TR...QAdIdZ66810805

The Gurkha ST (2007 model done 17K ).

Cheers
Sunil

What’s the best Off-roader under 10L? EDIT : Bought a Gurkha!-img_4745.jpg

What’s the best Off-roader under 10L? EDIT : Bought a Gurkha!-img_4737.jpg

What’s the best Off-roader under 10L? EDIT : Bought a Gurkha!-img_4722.jpg

Hey Sunil,
Congratulations. It looks good and well maintained.
17K on the odo is nothing at all.
So, did you pick this one also from Bangalore?
Cheers and Enjoy your Gurkha!
Deepak

PS: The third picture is exactly where we (Rudro n Jaggu) had taken my Gypsy for its first photo shoot.

Thanks Deepak,

Yes I picked it up from South Bangalore near Natkallappa circle.

Cheers
Sunil

congrats sunil,the vehicle looks good and fit.How does it feel off road?

How much did you pay for it .