Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 23:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

One More Gypsy, that what we need man, awesome one, looks clean. enjoy it.
Old 12th March 2010, 03:04   #17
BHPian

The condition seems to be the best i have seen so far of the auctioned gypsies. Congrats buddy.
Old 12th March 2010, 09:44   #18
BHPian

Congrats!!!
You are lucky - the gypsy looks really clean.
Old 12th March 2010, 11:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
driving always!, Congrats and Welcome to the club!
All the best with your restoration.
Thanks a ton, JeepCaptain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Hey congrats man, Please share you complete experience with the bidding process along with the cost involved. This would give an idea to us aspiring gypsy owners.

Pramod
Thanks pramodkumar. Will surely be sharing my experiences of the bidding process, and everything else shortly. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Congrats on becoming the owner of King!!!

Hehe, no can say. Yes. You are right

Waiting for the pics.
Thanks mjothi! Yes, it's quite a good feeling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Congratulations. would like to know your auction experience. Will be glued to this thread for updates and pics.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Thanks Dr Ghosh. Must say I've enjoyed reading your threads on the aquisition of a disposal gypsy. And, was definitely one of the reasons I decided to take the plunge in the 'disposal and auction' world! Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Congratulations!! More Gypsies to talk about
More the merrier, gsferrari
Old 12th March 2010, 12:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Congrats my friend. The Gypsy looks to be in reasonably good condition and it is an MPFI :-). Looks like you will have to invest in a battery (unless it is kept somewhere else).

A quick fluid change (engine oil, t-case oil, diff oil, coolant/flush) + new tyres and you will be ready to rock & roll.

Congrats again and have fun.
Thanks khan_sultan! Yes, I guess I got lucky with the MPFI. As for the battery, it wasn't there when I went to see the gypsy, I'm hoping that they've kept it somewhere else and will give it to me when I take the delivery! (Hope floats!) Looking forward to your expert advise and invaluable guidance to make my gypsy road-worthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Congratulations ... !

The gypsy seems to be in a neat condition.

Cheers,
Thanks Ardy! It's heartening to know that all you experts think it's in a neat condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.kk View Post
Hey,
Looks quite good, and its 2002 model, hope its a stealing auction. Please share your auction experience, and also regristration exp.

Thanks,
Naveen.KK
Watch out for the auction experience, Naveen.KK The moment I'm through with thanking all for the enthusiastic response to my gypsy aquisition, I'm going to be sharing my auction experiences, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Congratulations! Looks great. As soon you get the vehicle remove the lamp on top and plug the holes. Good battery and tyres should be sufficient unless you notice some problem. I see that the glove box cover is missing. Change the dashboard cover, should be costing around 2.5k from MASS
Thanks dwaraka! Will do that straightaway. Do you suggest I change the entire dashboard or just put the cover? In case I change the dash, how okay is it to get it from a place like mayapuri? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
WOW! you are real lucky, this is a very clean Gypsy. Some minor expenses and you are ready to go.

Congratulations!!!
Thanks Jaggu. I'm hoping so too. Got too carried away during the auction, and think I might have paid too high a price for it, so would be very happy if its a less money-guzzling restoration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
It is a clean gypsy. Hope you have less work to get it on road. Where is the battery? Taken by the "authorities"
Thanks man. I'm hoping that they guys have kept it elsewhere and will give it to me at the time of delivery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro4X4 View Post
Hi DA,

Can you please share your experience of the Auction process (Maybe a new thread). Will help a lot of Gypsy enthusiasts.

Regards,
Zorro4X4
Hey Zorro4X4... Watch this space for more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
Great to see one more BHP'ian biting the Gypsy Bullet! Basic service & a little change here & there & you will be chomping miles mate!

Cheers& Congrats for the purchase!!
Thanks Rossi! There's something nice about being called a 'BHPian', though my status still reads Newbie... Could you please put in a word for me to the mods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
One More Gypsy, that what we need man, awesome one, looks clean. enjoy it.
Thanks Desmosedici! Here's to more such converts like me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
The condition seems to be the best i have seen so far of the auctioned gypsies. Congrats buddy.
Hey, that feels great to hear! Hope I'm able to do justice to the restoration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
Congrats!!!
You are lucky - the gypsy looks really clean.
Thanks man. Not just me, all the 'gypsies' at Team-BHP are extremely lucky! Way to go!
Old 13th March 2010, 19:25   #21
BHPian

taking a plunge into the auction world

so guys, after doing the numerous rounds of mayapuri and so-called-gypsy dealers who, i feel, sell junk in the name of gypsy, and taking inspiration from various ppl at team-bhp who had gone down the path, sometime around october 2009, i decided to take the plunge into the world of auctions/disposal of government vehicles across the country.

well, to the optimists i must say you'd need every ounce of that optimism, and to the pessimists: see, i survived!

the process itself is quite cumbersum. more than that i think the dealer carter is so strong that it's very difficult to get into the system. they make you run around, ask for all kinds of papers, and basically you feel like you're banging your head against the wall all the time. when you're thru with submitting the papers, you come up against objections, etc. if you have the will, then only you can go ahead. there were a lot of time i too decided to chuck it and go and pick up a gypsy from mayapuri and restore it. but must say, my frequent visits to team-bhp and reading all you guys gave me enough adrenaline to keep on going.

so, once you register with mstc, you have to give them some 11,000 rupees as non-refundable fee. once you do that you're eligible to participate in the auction that happen from time to time.
however, again, for an individual like me, it was basically a waiting game that i had to play. because in most of the auctions that happen the gypsys are put together in lots. don't know why, but they do. which means, you've got to pick up the whole lots (very rarely 2or 3; mostly 4-5; sometimes even 6). i guess, that's again a way to keep the individuals out.

from what i gathered during the whole process, i feel that its just not the dealers who are to blame for this. the sellers too have a role to play. what i figured out from some people in the army is that they often club together good and the ugly condition gypsys in the same lot to prop up the lot price. now, as an individual, one you can't shell out say 4 lakh rupees and be stuck with one good and the other junk gypsys. i'm sure if you try and sell the junk to the dealers they'll make sure they don't even give you peanuts, so that next time you'll hear the word auction!

so, basically one has to be patient and wait. there are auctions announced by various departments who have lesser number of vehicles and are therefore good for individuals like us. but you've got to wait, and be prepared for heart aches.

like this one time sometimes a couple of months ago, there was a gypsy available which was some top AF official's gypsy, based at delhi cantt. good condition, 1998, hardtop, all done up... went and inspected the vehicle, was all set for the auction. but, the day of the auction arrived and i couldn't see the vehicle in the auction pool. got very frustrated and found out that the auction had been postponed. came again on the list, i think, after a couple of weeks, but again postponed on the last day... is very frustrating

more later
Old 14th March 2010, 10:21   #22
BHPian

journey into the

so guys, as i was saying the key to the whole process is waiting and praying that you'll get, one: an auction where more than one gypsys are not bundled into a lot; and two: the condition of the gypsy is okay.

so it was after waiting for a long time, that i came across this indian oil aviation auction where three gypsys were being auctioned through mstc. all the three were 2002 gypsy kings, 4X4, and as i now figure out MPFI! Couldn't go myself to inspect the vehicles (not that i would have known anything!), but asked a friend to do it for me. he came back saying that the three looked in okay condition. the only minor things were missing spare wheel and batteries. thought i could live with that.

so, on the day of the auction, settled down for a long haul. was determined not to let go of this opportunity. the auction began, and all the gypsys were going pretty much at par. then towards the end one guy bidding got excited and took the price of one much higher than the other two. so let go of that and continued bidding on the other two. and landed one of them!

so all in all, i would say that get into the auctions only if you have the patience (loads of it). if there are any specific queries, pls do feel free to get in touch with me and i'll try and give you my two-bits of advise!
Old 14th March 2010, 21:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

@DA
This is great! Will definitely get in touch whenever a lot comes up for auction which I might be interested.

So where are you getting the vehicle done-up, overhauled and road worthy???
Old 15th March 2010, 06:59   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@DA
This is great! Will definitely get in touch whenever a lot comes up for auction which I might be interested.

So where are you getting the vehicle done-up, overhauled and road worthy???
Hi harjeev, haven't decided yet, got a couple of options. First am waiting to see what kind of work is required initially to just make it road worthy mechanically. Any tips on how to go about that will be highly appreciated!
Old 15th March 2010, 10:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thats a great gypsy DA!!!!!

Restore it will, have fun and drive safe...
Old 16th March 2010, 09:23   #26
BHPian

An update guys. Got my Gypsy yesterday. Once they came to know that I was buying it for myself and was not a dealer, the guys at Indian Oil Aviation were really nice and cooperative. Helped me locate all missing things, including the 4X4 shaft (though they still say there's one rod which i'll have to pick up from outside) will post pictures so that you're in a better position to understand and guide.

am getting the work done from an old trusted mechanic in my area itself. yesterday got the oils, filters, etc., changed. basic things really. other things that were changed included the accelerator wire and packing for the exhaust. today is the weekly off, so am just going to wait for tomorrow!

since i drive an esteem mpfi, i tend to compare my ride with it. so when i drive the gypsy, one thing i notice is that the engine is still not as fiery as my esteem, the ride of course is bumpy , and there is a lot of play in the steering. besides there is lot of creaking noise from the hard top.

so my plan for tomorrow is to first get the overhauling of brakes and suspension done. the comes servicing of steering (contrary to what i always thought, i've realised that gypsy does NOT need a PS). anything specific i need to get done to address the above issues or anything else that i've overlooked, please let me know.

also, plan to go to mayapuri sometime this week to pick up stuff like the front seats, rear bumper, etc. any leads, numbers, names of shops will be most welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Thats a great gypsy DA!!!!!

Restore it will, have fun and drive safe...
thanks a lot KSM.
Old 16th March 2010, 16:53   #27
BHPian

Thats a very clean neat gypsy right out of the auction, will it be possible to share the price of auction?

Cheers
Sunil
Old 16th March 2010, 20:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisunil View Post
Thats a very clean neat gypsy right out of the auction, will it be possible to share the price of auction?

Cheers
Sunil
Thanks sunil. Yes, i can share the price. I paid rs 1.75 lakhs including taxes, commission, etc. I think in my over eagerness i might have got carried away!
Old 16th March 2010, 23:33   #29
BHPian

one help needed guys. Took my gypsy out on road yesterday. Felt the engine to be very heavy, so tried to experiment with the 4wd lever. Put it in the top left slot, the engine eased up a bit, the acceleration too improved. But its still very sluggish. Am not sure if i've understood it totally. Tried reading abt 4wd on the site, couldn't understand it one bit! Can anyone give me a crash course in the 4wd terminology, please? Feel like such an idiot. Am also worried that i might damage something in the gypsy too.
Old 17th March 2010, 01:36   #30
BHPian

Is the engine overhauled or original?
Personally, I think its very hard to get the same performance from Ex-Army restorations that you get from civilian jeeps and gypsy's as every part contributes in the overall performance and you can't replace everything.

Most Viewed