Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2010, 16:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

Worth the price for the MPFI,should say a good deal, better than Mayapur stuff. And you already started rolling it.

You didn't mention the kms it had clocked till now?
More pics would be appreciated.
Old 19th March 2010, 17:34   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving always! View Post
one help needed guys. Took my gypsy out on road yesterday. Felt the engine to be very heavy, so tried to experiment with the 4wd lever. Put it in the top left slot, the engine eased up a bit, the acceleration too improved. But its still very sluggish. Am not sure if i've understood it totally. Tried reading abt 4wd on the site, couldn't understand it one bit! Can anyone give me a crash course in the 4wd terminology, please? Feel like such an idiot. Am also worried that i might damage something in the gypsy too.
You have to use the 2 wheel H position for normal use. For moderate offroad where 2 wheel doesnt help, slot 4H. For extreme situation use 4L. Hope this helps.

Dont compare to and esteem it will not have that kind of response, though engine will be smooth. Did you do an overhaul of differentials, transfer case etc?

I would strongly recommend you to goto a MASS for the initial work, to set the Gypsy proper.
Old 19th March 2010, 21:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

i know you tend to but please do not compare it to a normal passenger car. You can get creature comforts done, you can improvise of your drivability, suspension etc but it still will be a Gypsy at heart.

With stock tyres, the steering will be hard and a little difficult to turn at a standstill.
The ride is very bumpy but neverthless, it will make you smile everytime you sit inside and crank up the engine.

You will never get the same kind of response that you get from an esteem even though the engine is of the same spec.

Just take it to a nearby hill, get it onto some terrain which your esteem is not capable of and then you shall see the world of difference.

Enjoy.
Old 20th March 2010, 07:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
Is the engine overhauled or original?
Personally, I think its very hard to get the same performance from Ex-Army restorations that you get from civilian jeeps and gypsy's as every part contributes in the overall performance and you can't replace everything.
I know what you're saying... but the problem is that there are so few civilian gypsys available in a place like delhi. and, the ones that are there, are getting sold for obscene amounts. the one that i've picked up is from indian oil aviation services and has been used in airport only. of course, there is work to be done, and the good thing is that i know now what all i'm getting done. so i guess something like this was my best chance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Worth the price for the MPFI,should say a good deal, better than Mayapur stuff. And you already started rolling it.

You didn't mention the kms it had clocked till now?
More pics would be appreciated.
Thanks Ramsagar, your assurance sure made me feel better. Have been hearing a lot of 'oh man, you paid a bomb for this vehicle!' kind of comments. Yes, I've been driving it around for 2-3 days. These days it is getting painted, so in the paintshop. Will be getting it back either today or tomorrow.

The odo shows arnd 14,000 kms, though I's sure its been tampered with. Will post post-paint pics soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You have to use the 2 wheel H position for normal use. For moderate offroad where 2 wheel doesnt help, slot 4H. For extreme situation use 4L. Hope this helps.

Dont compare to and esteem it will not have that kind of response, though engine will be smooth. Did you do an overhaul of differentials, transfer case etc?

I would strongly recommend you to goto a MASS for the initial work, to set the Gypsy proper.
Thanks Jaggu, that really helps. Just one more thing: Is there's something called a neutral position for 4wd lever? If yes, what does one use that for?

I know what you're saying about MASS, am planning to get specific things done there once the minor things have been taken care of. No I haven't got the overhaul of differentials, transfer cases, etc., as yet. Any idea how much it will cost, and any particular place you want to suggest that I could get it done? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
i know you tend to but please do not compare it to a normal passenger car. You can get creature comforts done, you can improvise of your drivability, suspension etc but it still will be a Gypsy at heart.

With stock tyres, the steering will be hard and a little difficult to turn at a standstill.
The ride is very bumpy but neverthless, it will make you smile everytime you sit inside and crank up the engine.

You will never get the same kind of response that you get from an esteem even though the engine is of the same spec.

Just take it to a nearby hill, get it onto some terrain which your esteem is not capable of and then you shall see the world of difference.

Enjoy.
Thanks man. Yes, I know what you're saying. Also, after the steering work, the play is more or less gone. Am getting the seats done with extra foam, and planning to put front facing seats at the back with extra foam too! Am planning to take it to gurgaon-faridabad road once i get it back from the paintshop. Shd be fun! ANd, yes, I'm constantly smiling when i'm sitting in my gypsy!

Also, guys, am planning to go to Mayapuri to pick up rear front facing seats for my gypsy. Please can anyone give me a reliable contact? WIll appreciate it!
Old 20th March 2010, 10:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

@DA

front facing rear seats are easily available in Mayapuri. All fabricated etc should not be more than 2-3k's, I think.

Would you be going to Mayapuri today???
I might be going there myself. Send me a PM with your Mobile no
Cheers
Harjeev
Old 22nd March 2010, 09:05   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@DA

front facing rear seats are easily available in Mayapuri. All fabricated etc should not be more than 2-3k's, I think.

Would you be going to Mayapuri today???
I might be going there myself. Send me a PM with your Mobile no
Cheers
Harjeev
Sorry Harjeev, saw your message only now. Would have liked to catch up with you. Anyway, I did go to Mayapuri. Got my front facing original gypsy seat for 1500 rupees. It was in a bad condition, but will have my seat guy work on it.
Surprisingly, there was not a lot of gypsy stuff available. Besides the seat, wanted to pick up the rear bumper, front grille, etc., but no one seemed to have it. Or its quite possible I didn't go to the right shops.
Anyway next time I go there, I'll speak with you to find out if there are specific shops I should go to for Gypsy stuff.
Cya
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving always! View Post
Sorry Harjeev, saw your message only now. Would have liked to catch up with you. Anyway, I did go to Mayapuri. Got my front facing original gypsy seat for 1500 rupees. It was in a bad condition, but will have my seat guy work on it.
Surprisingly, there was not a lot of gypsy stuff available. Besides the seat, wanted to pick up the rear bumper, front grille, etc., but no one seemed to have it. Or its quite possible I didn't go to the right shops.
Anyway next time I go there, I'll speak with you to find out if there are specific shops I should go to for Gypsy stuff.
Cya

No at all Kunal,
I was tied up on Saturday and dint get to go to Mayapuri
BTW the shop that most of us go to to get spares is either Kharati Lal (Panditji) and another shop who stocks quite a lot of spares is Jhangi
There guys have mostly new stuff that you would be needing. for all old and used parts shop, well there's no single shop that stocks everything so you have to hunt around!!!

Are you getting the air con work done tomorrow??? If you would be going I might come and join you towards the evening, ALso see whether you could get Shashank along with you!!!
Cheers

Last edited by harjeev : 23rd March 2010 at 20:05.
Old 14th April 2010, 10:28   #38
BHPian

finally...

hi all,

finally, i've managed to take some pics of my gypsy. was so caught up with the registration battle that just didn't have time to take pics. though have been driving around the gypsy and must say its a great feeling. don't know if it's a fact, or just imagination of a gypsy mind, i'm also seeing more gypsys on the roads!

will be posting more pics soon, but thought of sharing some pics with all of you!
Attached Thumbnails
Beginning the journey from 'human' to 'gypsy' life!-gypsyext1.jpg  

Beginning the journey from 'human' to 'gypsy' life!-gypsyint.jpg  

Beginning the journey from 'human' to 'gypsy' life!-gypsyint1.jpg  

Beginning the journey from 'human' to 'gypsy' life!-gypsyext.jpg  

Old 14th April 2010, 10:46   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
No at all Kunal,
I was tied up on Saturday and dint get to go to Mayapuri
BTW the shop that most of us go to to get spares is either Kharati Lal (Panditji) and another shop who stocks quite a lot of spares is Jhangi
There guys have mostly new stuff that you would be needing. for all old and used parts shop, well there's no single shop that stocks everything so you have to hunt around!!!

Are you getting the air con work done tomorrow??? If you would be going I might come and join you towards the evening, ALso see whether you could get Shashank along with you!!!
Cheers

sorry, harjeev. think you're confusing me with someone else. but thanks anyway for the information! though, wouldn't recommend anyone going to mayapuri till this radiation storm brews over.
Old 14th April 2010, 12:58   #40
BHPian

Driving Always

fix a hub lock and you feel the different both in driving and milage

Raj
Old 14th April 2010, 13:10   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajachu View Post
Driving Always

fix a hub lock and you feel the different both in driving and milage

Raj

hi rajachu, feel like quite a moron asking this but what are hub locks and how is it they help in driving and mileage? also are they easily available?
thanks,
driving always!

experts, you can all begin with your wisecracks now!
Old 14th April 2010, 13:28   #42
BHPian

Free wheeling hubs are available quite easily - 2nd hand, and brand new.

They basically are attached to your front wheels - and when your not in 4x4 mode, you simply have to step down, and turn a key in the centre of each front wheel - what this does is, it allows you to manually disconnect the front wheels from the front half shafts.

With the hubs disengaged and vehicle in 2wd, the whole front axle and differential are inactive..

Hence the power is transmitted only to the rear wheels, while allowing the front wheels to rotate independantly of the drivetrain ... Your engine doesnt power the front half shaft anymore (with hubs disengaged), so better mileage, pickup, and lesser wear and tear and vibrations.
Although, with hubs, you need to regular lock/unlock them, and keep a check on the oil level.

(If i'm wrong, someone please correct me - part of this info has come from wiki)
Old 14th April 2010, 13:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
Free wheeling hubs are available quite easily - 2nd hand, and brand new.

They basically are attached to your front wheels - and when your not in 4x4 mode, you simply have to step down, and turn a key in the centre of each front wheel - what this does is, it allows you to manually disconnect the front wheels from the front half shafts.

With the hubs disengaged and vehicle in 2wd, the whole front axle and differential are inactive..

Hence the power is transmitted only to the rear wheels, while allowing the front wheels to rotate independantly of the drivetrain ... Your engine doesnt power the front half shaft anymore (with hubs disengaged), so better mileage, pickup, and lesser wear and tear and vibrations.
Although, with hubs, you need to regular lock/unlock them, and keep a check on the oil level.

(If i'm wrong, someone please correct me - part of this info has come from wiki)

thanks imran! that sound logical. how much should these hub locks cost approx? did some reading in the meantime, are there some hub locks which are not manual?
thanks experts
Old 14th April 2010, 14:51   #44
BHPian

Just Came across this thread! Very good vuy DA. Cheers!
Your specific info on bidding process was a learning. Thanks for sharing.

Your vehicle is a neat one, and in comparison with the Mayapuri 'auction' vehicles, this looks as civilian as possible. As per my understanding, the 1.75 L is also not bad at all. Gr8!!

I have gone thru the same route last year, and you may refer to my thread on the learnings, for what 'not' to do!

I would recommend you to upgrade Tyres, as the stock F78-15 is very hard, and braking also is an issue. Since you would primarily be riding it on road, a geolander a/t will be great. For that use, even an Indian made MRF/ Apollo should also be adequate.

The FWHs are available in Mayapuri for 1000-1200/- for a used pair, and will help in better milage & smoother drive.

Depending upon the condition, you may even go in for a complete new suspension setup which should cost you approx 5K, and will make the ride smoother (as possible). The rattle from Hard Top is one area where even I am trying to find a solution.

I will keep monitoring your thread forfurther action.

Cheers!

ashish
Old 14th April 2010, 15:51   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
Just Came across this thread! Very good vuy DA. Cheers!
Your specific info on bidding process was a learning. Thanks for sharing.

Your vehicle is a neat one, and in comparison with the Mayapuri 'auction' vehicles, this looks as civilian as possible. As per my understanding, the 1.75 L is also not bad at all. Gr8!!

I have gone thru the same route last year, and you may refer to my thread on the learnings, for what 'not' to do!

I would recommend you to upgrade Tyres, as the stock F78-15 is very hard, and braking also is an issue. Since you would primarily be riding it on road, a geolander a/t will be great. For that use, even an Indian made MRF/ Apollo should also be adequate.

The FWHs are available in Mayapuri for 1000-1200/- for a used pair, and will help in better milage & smoother drive.

Depending upon the condition, you may even go in for a complete new suspension setup which should cost you approx 5K, and will make the ride smoother (as possible). The rattle from Hard Top is one area where even I am trying to find a solution.

I will keep monitoring your thread forfurther action.

Cheers!

ashish
Thanks Ashish! I have very much read your herculean effort in restoring your bushranger first from mayapuri and then from other sources. Must say you've saved a lot of us from commiting similar blunders. Thanks on behalf of all of us for being so honest and upfront.
Thanks also for telling me that I didn't pay a bomb for my 2002 MG413W king. Not many people have told me that!
I have pretty much two issues left to sort out with my gypsy, one tyres, and the other (minor one of course) the front wheel hubs. Of course the minor (but very irritating noise from the hard top remains!) Warned by your experience, and now with radiation going on in full swing, I'm definitely not going to mayapuri, so any idea about how much the new FWH cost? Also, i read somewhere that you get hubs these days that are not manual. Is that correct? If yes, how do these work?
Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks